Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

Carden Extra 260 is Born

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Carden Extra 260 is Born

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Matt Merciez
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carden Extra 260 is Born

Mike,

Have you received the Extra 260 from Brian? Care to share a flight report?

In a couple of days I will be receiving my trailer for hauling planes and need a few measurements off your Extra 260 to support setting up the trailer now, so I don't have to reconfigure the trailer when I get the 260. Would you please measure the ground distance from the forward tip of the spinner to the center of the wheels, the width of the stab assembled and the highest part of the plane relative to the floor. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:27 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Brian has flown Mike's new EXTRA. According to Brian, if you like the 330, you're gonna love the 260.

Mike,

As far as trim schemes on the H9 planes, the red, white, blue and grey are starting to get pretty old. This would be a good change.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Matt Merciez

ORIGINAL: CAPtain232

Brian has flown Mike's new EXTRA. According to Brian, if you like the 330, you're gonna love the 260.
Brian definately liked the 260, I felt it would be interesting to hear Mike's impression of the airframe.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:51 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

I havent gotten it yet. It should show up today. I cant wait to see it.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Flip and Fly

Really looking forward to hearing how it flies. I'm in the process of designing my own 260 33%. Hoping it will fly as good as my little modified Midwest 260. Thanks for all the info so far!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:44 PM
MMcConville

So am I. Hope the weather here improves, its about 25F and blowing like crazy right now.

Good news is the 260 just arrived and the crates are all loaded in the back of my Suburban. Cant wait to go home this evening and put it all together.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:01 AM
Randy Brown

Heck.. I will pay the shipping to have it sent to Ontario. and I will even send you back all the servos and the motor at no extra charge

Randy

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Dont know anything about the powerbox batteries. I still havent made aswitch to the powervboxes.

The guy in the photo is Ed Veige (sorry for the spelling Ed) from St. Louis. He flew out to Tucosn this past w/e to help Brian finish up the model and get the test flights on it.

Appreciate the offer to ship it to Vegas Would same some on shipping, but I think I'll just bite the bullet and ship it here.

m
Old 12-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Kevgofly
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,
You must really be happy with the plane and have been out flying it for the past few days! Don't leave us hanging man. How is it?

Kev
Old 12-17-2004, 04:11 PM
MMcConville

Nope, took me a few days to reassemble it and made a few tweaks to things. Its ready now and I hope to fly it tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:14 AM
MMcConville

OK guys, it was cold and windy on Sat but I got out and flew the 260. On the very rare occation you fly a new model that just grabs you right from the start. This is one of them. I could have flown it competitively w/o changing anything. IMO Dennis has done it this time like never before. It is an amazing airplane for precision and 3D.

Rudder authority is amazing. I did Knife Edge square loops with no problem. The really cool thing is also that rudder coupling is so slight it almost needs no mixing. Even at extreme rudder throw it never couples. That makes rollers and a bunch of 3D stuff very nice.
For IMAC it snaps, spins, rolls and generally grooves very well. Better than my 330. Also of equal importance, it presenty very well. The 260 wing planform has a narrower tip, more LE sweep and no dihedral. That coupled with the midwing are a great presentation.

For 3D its equally awesome. Rudder power is a big plus here. Roll rate is very high even at very low speeds. It fies very light.

This is a real winner guys! Weather your an IMAC guy or a 3D guy, this is a great airplne!!! I'm more than thrilled with it!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Matt Merciez

Mike,

That is great information .

Based on some limited conversations with Brian H., the prototype plane has some deviations from the Carden plans such as the tapered ailerons.

Any chance of providing details on the deviations to allow us to duplicate the construction or would this be something better for Brian H to answer?

Thanks,
Old 12-20-2004, 01:51 PM
MMcConville

Hi Matt, Its hard to say if they are deviations or not. I dont think Dennis has finalized the "stock" aileron configuration yet. Yes it does have tapered ailerons. I believe we have them at 6-1/2" at the root and 4-1/2" at the tip. Ther come pretty far inboard as well. I have 3 x 8611 per aileron. When I get a chance I'll try it w/ 2 (disconnect the middle one) and see how it does. It may need 3 with those ailerons but we'll see. Dennis may opt to go with ailerons that are ok w/ 2 servos if these prove too big. This could be an option however.

There are no other deviations. Dennis had intended to put 1/2 degree of dihedral in it, but we changed it to zero. I believe he is now going with zero on the kit though.

Only other deviateions are some lightening in the fuse, particularlly in the back. Done just like my 330.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Matt Merciez

Thanks Mike,

The lightening of the fuse in the back is important for it will help offset the weight of the servos mounted in the rear.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:39 PM
MMcConville

Absolutely. BTW, even w/ the servos inthe tail, the battery packs are located under the canopy, not way forward.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Matt Merciez

Mike,

Any way of taking pictures of the internals of the 260 and posting here on RCU?

How do you like the datasafe Ultra? I am receiving one for Christmas and am looking forward to having the ability to get the setups from many of the JR pilots.

Thanks,
Old 12-21-2004, 09:41 AM
MMcConville

Do you mean the internal structure? I cant do that w/o getting the ok from Dennis. His concern with recommending the lightening we did to everyone is that if its not cone correctly, the structure could fail. With Brian Hueffmeier building my models, I have no worries, but I can see Dennis' point.

On the Datasafe Ultra, I think its a really cool tool for comparing set-ps as you describe. I havent played with it myself yet though.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Shogun

Hey Mike, that plane looks really great. Just out of curiosity is this the same design that Dennis showed us the plans to back in Dayton? If so that was one quick build considering we were standing in the parking lot looking at them with a flashlight only this past September!

I remember the smile on your face when Dennis brought the 260 up in conversation that night but I would love to be a fly on the wall when you pop the top of that crate!

Let us know how you like it once you get the chance to fly it.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
MMcConville

Hi Scott,

Yes its the same 260. It did happen pretty fast. All due to Dennis getting the parts done quickly and especially to Brian Hueffmeier who built it so fast. Actually, when I was at Brian's house during the Shootout in late Oct, it was a stack of wood, foam and glass on his bench. The only work he had done was to frame the fuse side trusses, so he builtthe entire thing in 4 or 5 weeks.

As far as flying, see my post above (post 35). It is a really sweet flying airplane.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Shogun

WOW, as I recall Dennis had not yet determined the design to be final so when you take that into account it's pretty amazing how fast all that work got done, and still resulted in a plane that flies so well.

I wonder what the status of the Yak project is.....

Sorry for getting mixed up about you flying it, after reading the posts I managed to completely miss the fact that YOU had flown the plane already.....maybe I'm not getting enough sleep these days, darned RC sruff I guess [8D]
Old 12-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Mike do you think Dennis has plans to make 35% versions of the Extra 260?
Old 12-25-2004, 04:08 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

The 35% will be out later in 2005, the 40% was first. I asked Dennis this already!
Old 12-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Sweet, can't wait
Old 12-27-2004, 01:09 PM
MMcConville

Hi Guys,

I got the graphics from Die-Hard and got them on the 260 on Christmas. I should have some new photos up in a few days. I'm at home right now, taking a few days R & R.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:14 PM
MMcConville

Guy,
I got a handful more flights on the 260 yesterday. It was an unseasonable 63 degrees, though it was very windy. The wind did decrease through the day though and by the last flight was under 10mph.
I am still blown away with the airplane. It is really easy to fly well and looks great in the air.
I did a little more 3D with at and found that it is very stable in high alpha, both upright and inverted has almost no wing walking.
The roll axis is really beautiful, it is sooo axial. I have no differential in it, jusy doesent seem to need any.

I have a bunch of new pics and will get some up here on Monday when I get back to the office.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:23 PM
sdionne

Hi Mike,

Did you tried the ailerons with only two servos?? Are you suppose to be at the JR Challenge??

Thanks

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.