Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

Looking for Old Pattern Planes

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Looking for Old Pattern Planes

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:42 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Old Pattern Planes

Ok guys, I'm getting nolstagic in my old age. I just bought an Ed Kazmerski Taurus at a swap meet a few weeks ago. Seemed it was fate, it was in the original Kazmarski scheme but yellow, white and black.

I'm looking for a few specific models either kits or nicely built:

Phoenix 5
Skyglass Phoenix 6
Airborne Associates Phoenix 7
Hobby Barn Curare

anyone?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:14 AM
jb1955

Default RE: Looking for Old Pattern Planes

Whats this I hear about a SAILPLANE you picked up at the same meet ??? Come clean with us Mike

jb1955
Old 01-26-2005, 11:35 PM
MMcConville

No, that wasnt me, that was my buddy John Diniz. He bought an Oly II. Though I did get a sailplane recently. A Emerald composite model.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:20 PM
spbyrum

Mike

I've copied your post to the Senior Pattern Association mail list. I'll relay any feed back.

If I remember correctly, Hobby Barn still had a few Curares several years ago.

Talk to Sidney Austin at Pyramid Hobbies in Cullman, AL. He may have some of what you want.

Steve Byrum
Old 01-29-2005, 08:38 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Mike,

Wing Manufacturing has the Phoenix 5's. Wing has been advertizing the 5's as of late in their occasional magazine ads. They will also be at Toledo. I believe they also have the molds for the Phoenix 6, but they aren't advertising them. I know Dunphy's of PAC have the Phoenix 8, but not sure about others.

Jon Lowe
Son of Don Lowe, designer of the Phoenix series.

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Ok guys, I'm getting nolstagic in my old age. I just bought an Ed Kazmerski Taurus at a swap meet a few weeks ago. Seemed it was fate, it was in the original Kazmarski scheme but yellow, white and black.

Phoenix 5
Skyglass Phoenix 6
Hobby Barn Curare

anyone?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:11 PM
JRNUT
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Mike,

Well this is what I found,

Nutcracker (kit) by Airborne Associates
Tiger Tail 2
Saturn (started) Flightglass models
I bought the Phoenix 6 but you are welcome to take a look at it when you get home.

Milt
Old 01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
MMcConville

Thanks for the infor Jon. I remember now seeing the P5 at the booth at Toledo last year. In fact I have a P5 ready for paint. Your dad was good enough to give the fuse and wing cores to me a few years ago. Watching Dave Brown and your dad fly the Phoenix 5 back when I was about 7 years old really god me intertested in aerobatics.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Heck I learned to fly on a P6, me, my buddy and a buddy box.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:09 AM
MMcConville

Milt, I'd love top take a look at the P6. Is it from the guy we were going to go see after the swap meet?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:58 AM
JRNUT
My Feedback: (10)

Yeah it's the same guy. I sent you an email.

Milt
Old 02-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Randy Brown

Mike did you go here
http://www.seniorpattern.com/

And if your getting that old<G> you can send me your 260<G>

Randy

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Phoenix 5
Skyglass Phoenix 6
Hobby Barn Curare

anyone?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:27 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

My first true pattern plane was a P-5 (built by Bremer). I remember Don Lowe showing up to the field on Thursday nights with a few others to help teach us kids how to fly.

I sold a American Pie kit a while back which was based off the pheonix, by Scully (I think). Chuck Shade flew them alot in the 80's and 90's.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:33 PM
MMcConville

I believe Chuck Shade did the Pie on his own. I remember seeing a few of those fly. The first time I met Frank Noll was at a pattern contest sometime in the late 80's. He came w/ Chuck and was flying an old American Pie.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
v-snap

Maybe he did, it has been awhile for me to remember. I knew he did alot of work on those kits himself. Nice looking plane for the times though..

I can picture one of Franks pattern planes in my mind but I can't remember what he was flying back then except for the Giant scale since I wasn't in the pattern scene anymore.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:50 PM
L2Jarvis
My Feedback: (3)

I just picked up a Curare at a swap meet a couple of weekends ago. The plane is at least 20 years old (having a 1985 AMA sticker on it) but obviously has little if any flight time on it.

I've ordered a pipe for the engine that I'm installing in it, and I'm rebuilding the Century Jet retracts tonight. Hopefully, she'll be ready to fly this weekend.

I've also had a Tiporare kit patiently waiting its turn on my workbench for at least a couple of years now. Anyone know if the Tiporare is still available? Also, how might it compare to the Curare?

Regards,
Lee
Old 02-01-2005, 06:02 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone remember the "Utopia" pattern plane. I think it was one of the first almost totally prefab pattern planes out there. Never hear much about it.

I used to have a Prettner Magic I could have sent you but when I moved years back it didn't come with me. I actually left it at the house! Webra 61 pipe and retracts on it.

Anyway...to answer your question a gentleman at my field has a vintage pattern ship or two. brand new. I'll find out what it is again and a price.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:18 PM
onewasp

The Tipo was made in several iterations. It was originally based upon the Curare and was designed and kitted by Dick Hanson.

I never flew one but my opinion is that from Dick------it had to be good.

If I remember correctly Dick said he had neither the plans nor any kits and that someone bought the plug a number of years back.

I don't remember any being 'uncompetitive' in those I saw flown.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:18 AM
v-snap

The second was the Hippo-tippo which if I remember had a larger profile then the origonal. I remember when the tippo was being produced out of Centerville Ohio by Bill Keller.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 AM
MMcConville

Yup. the original Tiporare was essentially a modified Curare. Primarily to take some of the ugly off of it. Dick Hanson designed it and it was kitted by WK Hobbies (Bill Keller) in Centerville, OH. To say it flew well would be a gross understatement. In '79 and the early 80's it was probably the most popular pattern model ...ever.
I believe I had 5 or 6 of them between '79 and '84, and won the NATS with it one of them '81. There were later versions (Hippo Tipo, Tipo 750) that were all good, but the original Tipo was unsurpassed in popularity. Back in those days Dick Hanson lived in Ohio and we were in the same club. I'll probably never forget the club meeting (Loveland Propbusters) when he brought the wood plug for the Tipo for show and tell. Guess we didnt realize we were seeing the beginning of the most popular pattern model ever to be made.
I believe WK eventually sold the line to Great Planes Mfg who made the Tiporare for a while before discontinuing it. I believe they still have the molds somewhere.

I remember the Utopia, but never had one. If I remember correctly it was a little heavy and never really caught on. In those days it was also a bit expensive, though it was a prefab. It was probably over $700, but we were paying someting like $70 for a Curare kit from Hobby Barn. Time have changed huh?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Larry Lutton

I have to second Mike's statements regarding the Tipo...... I've been fortunate (or mis-fortunate as some might think :-)) to live near Dick and have been flying under his wing, so to speak, for the past 25 years or so! Back in the 80's I remember going to pattern contests in Las Vegas and Denver that would have 70 to 80 contestants with the majority of their ships being Tipos or Hippo Tipos. Check out old model mags. with Nats or Masters reports from the 80's and again, you'll find a good majority of the competitors were flying Tipos! It's a "Classic" in the true sense of the word!
The adaption of turnaround sequences and 4-Cycle evolution saw the end to the Tipos and other great planes of the times.
Fun stuff to talk about!

If you're collecting classic pattern ships Mike.......you need to add a Tipo to your fleet!

Larry Lutton
AMA 17432
IMAC 2055
Old 02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
v-snap

Hey Mike since you brought up the world engine radios on the other thread I am still using a few of Harry Roe's (W.E.)vintage blue head supertigers one G and one X...
Old 02-02-2005, 03:56 PM
MMcConville

Cool!!! How is Harry doing BTW?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:15 PM
v-snap

I haven't seen him in probably 10yrs. I know he was flying some gliders for a while but I really never new what happened to him.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:07 PM
L2Jarvis
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the info on the Tipo. I'm more anxious than ever to get it built. When I do, I'll post some photos.

Larry made a comment that piqued my curiosity though. He said, "The adaption of turnaround sequences and 4-Cycle evolution saw the end to the Tipos and other great planes of the times". Can you take a minute to explain this to someone who is just beginning to develop an interest in pattern? Is the Tipo capable of being competitive today, or should I plan on building and enjoying this one more as an interesting, albiet dated, addition to my "hangar fleet".
Old 02-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Trumpy
My Feedback: (6)

Here is my Great Planes Tipo. It still flyies as good as it did Back in 1984.
[img][/img]

Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38574.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	224938  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.