Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

33% Edge in planning stage, need suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

33% Edge in planning stage, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 33% Edge in planning stage, need suggestions

Mike, I have a 3W75 and have decided the best home for it will be the H9 Edge 540. The magazine article on RCU unfortunately is about using a DA100, which leads us to believe the warranty would not hold on the plane with an engine over 80cc. What I am considering is Single servos on the ailerons. I will either use 8611a's or HT-5955's. My question is, can I get away with just putting the servos in the inner most servo bay, or should I open the wing in the middle and install a new servo bay and install a hardpoint in the center of the aileron? My concern with using a single servo, not in the middle, may lead to the far end to be able to twist or start to flutter.

I will be using a Futaba 9Z transmitter to a 8 or 9 channel PCM receiver. Do you know of anyone else using single servos in the wings, and how they have worked. I want the plane to be extremely light, since I consider the engine marginal in flying anything over 22 pounds. The engine is much lighter than the G62 and GT80 it was designed for, so may have to set rudder up on pull-pull system and move everything as far forward as is safe to get the balance right without adding weight.

The last H9 gasser I built was the 330L and even with everything forward and the lightest servos on the elevators, still had to add 8 ounces of lead to the nose to get it to balance, even with the 7.5 pound engine (Fuji 86) up front. Hopefully the Edge, with the shorter fuselage, will not have the tail heavy tendencies the old Extra had.

I will really appreciate any experience anyone else has with building the Edge and keeping it light. (yes, single receiver, switch and battery pack is in the mix.)

I can be emailed at [email protected]
Old 07-20-2005, 09:31 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 33% Edge in planning stage, need suggestions

My answer is only a guess. I havent trued a single servo or seen one used. I think it'll work ok, but no gurantees.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 33% Edge in planning stage, need suggestions

Thanks anyway Mike. If I don't hear anything more from anyone else, I will open up the bottom center of the wing and install a new servo bay and hardpoint in the middle of the aileron. Several of us are using something similar on other 35% planes with no problems. I'll let you know how it works. From everything I have read, you have designed a real winner with this one. I have downloaded the manual, and really like the way the servos are mounted in the horizontal stab, instead of the fueselage.

If any one else has built one of these and has any better ways of doing things, I would really like to hear from you, Especially if you mounted a single cylinder gas engine.

I'll be the first in this area to have one of these, so will be interested to hear from some of my friends when they get to fly it. Most of them are flying Extremes, Cardens, or Composites, which are way too rich for this old retired sailor to afford.