Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

Showtime 4D and Evo 26 gasser??

Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Showtime 4D and Evo 26 gasser??

Old 08-03-2005, 08:57 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Showtime 4D and Evo 26 gasser??

Hey Mikey!

i have an opportunity to pickup a showtime NIB for a very good price. Two of my flying buddies have the Showtime and have let me fly them. I was extremely impressed with how it flew!! I would love to pick one up, but I dread the thought of going back to a large glow plane....I hate the mess and hassle of glow engines. I've been flying 100cc gassers almost exclusively (most recently a Carden Extra 330) and have been spoiled.

Then I saw the new Evolution 26 gasoline engines and that got me goin "hmmm!". The evo seems comparable in weight(within a couple oz.) of a saito 180. It seems to me that with the right equipment, I should be able to keep the ST right around (and maybe with luck under) 10lbs. Both of the glow-powered ST's I've flown were right at 9lbs. (one with a saito 100 that really needed a little extra "oomph", and the other with an OS 1.08 that felt decently powered).

So my question to you, oh great and mighty one (), is do you think the little evo gasser would be a good (even if not ideal) match for the ST? How much of an impact do you think the extra pound of weight will make on a plane this size? Would the wing loading be increased to a point that 3D performance would start to suffer?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:16 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Showtime 4D and Evo 26 gasser??

I wish it were, but no. An extra pound is a lot and the power still wont be stellar. If there were a good gasser for it I'd be first in line!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:27 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

[sm=frown.gif] damn. So what motor did you use on yours?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:54 PM
MMcConville

Saito 100
Old 08-05-2005, 02:11 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Mike,

I'm gonna have to chime in here.....I love the design of the plane....love the way it flies....but the Saito 100 leaves much to be desired in the plane. To fly pattern....yes it does that very well....but to 3D with a Saito 100 is unrealistic. I've tried running both a 15x6 and a 16x4 with not much of a difference in power. RPM's are about the same on the ground...around 9200, the 16x4 unloads more in the air. In a hover there is little to no power left for pullout. To waterfall it barely pulls through. Anything verticle pretty much sucks. I am very disappointed in the performance with the recommended engine. I don't really know where to go from here. Anything bigger and the weight increases exponentially, and that in turn is gonna kill the flight performance accord to your comment earlier in the thread. A y.s. 110 weighs in at close to a .5 lb more than a saito 100 and the saito 150/180 along with the mvvs gasser comes in at over a pound more. So where is a person to go without blowing past the recommended weight on this plane? Because as mine sits now with a Satio 100 in it....it's already 8lbs 12 oz.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Neo
Old 08-07-2005, 04:58 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I have seen it fly with a saito 150 and it looked awesome. If I had one to do I would use the YS 110. The evo 26cc seems too heavy to me too. I got a 3W24 in a FW3D at 11 lbs and is a lot of fun with 1400 sq",.

Joe
Old 08-08-2005, 10:43 AM
MMcConville

.5 lbs is fine. Have you tried 30% fuel in the Saito 100? What altitude do you fly at?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:58 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Mike....thanks for the reply....here's a little more info. The following comes from the FAA about the Findlay Ohio airport. Included in it is the elevation.

Lat/Long: 41-00-48.7000N / 083-40-07.3000W
41-00.811667N / 083-40.121667W
41.0135278 / -83.6686944
(estimated)
Elevation: 813 ft. / 247.8 m (surveyed)
Variation: 05W (1985)
From city: 1 mile SW of FINDLAY, OH
Zip code: 45840

So the elevation is less that 1000ft. I have not yet tried 30% nitro......but plan on doing so. I just finished the jug of 15% I was running and am planning on trying 30%. I've never run it and am hoping that it will help wake the 100 up a bit. I hope I'm wrong....but I can't see it effecting the pull out and verticle ability that much.

Neo
Old 08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
MMcConville

It isnt like boltimg in a bigger engine but the difference is pretty significant.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:13 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

I have the Saito 100 in an 8lb VectorFlight 66" Edge 540. I use 30% Cool Power Pro Heli fuel. Now that it is broken in it turns 16x8 APC pattern prop at just under 10K RPM (and yes my tach is right (its a fromeco)... and no it's not lean and the engine is not stressed - its blowing lots of smoke - maybe I have a really good 100?) Vertical is unlimited. I am thinking of getting a ST so that I can learn Pattern and fly in a couple of Sportsman contests this year at a reasonable cost.

I would think with careful attention to weight that this combo would be awesome for a Pattern newbie. I can't comment on 3D (because I can't do it.) But I am sure there would be more than enough power since I can go straight up at 2/3 throttle basically until I'm out of sight... with a wide low-pitch prop it should hang all day no?

The 30% makes a very significant difference especially once the engine "frees up." It improves idle, transition and adds about 400 to 500 RPM on top. I tried a lot of props too - the APC 16x8 pattern was the best by far. I am at 3000' altitude. The other key is to use an OS plug - that improves everything and adds a lot of top-end RPMs also. The SA100 is a very strong and quiet mill IMO.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:53 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I popping in here way late but if you can find one a YS110 on 30% is jsut a tad over the same output as a Saito150 but only 2/3rds the weight of the Saito150.

'That being said I have one in a Showtime and it appears to be a great match. Just wrap the stock tank in packing tape to handle the pressure of the YS and add a third line to it for fueling. Otherwise it fits very well into the Showtime.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Tor

Jmiracle, you might find this thread interesting:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3651160

I have not flown the showtime, but I think the Funtana is comparable in size.

3rd post on Funtana and Evolution 26:
The plane is an absolute hoot .
My son said "it flies just like a foamie!"
It does == you can simply use power bursts to flit around - kick the rudder with power burst and it just wheels around -level wings - little tuck
It does tuck tho in knife edge loop.
But all in all , a better yank n bank low speed machine than the Showtime -the Showtime is far smoother 'n likes more speed.
The Funtana tho -on this engine and pipe is perfectly matched - for slower speed goofing off
I don't count the walls n blenders as much - those are just abuse maneuvers but this onecan be slowed to nothing with full up and it just falls as smoothly as you please then firewall it and it instantly goes straight up The response is the real standout feature .
The guy who wrote it also have the Evolution 26 in a showtime, as far as I recall he wrote a review for 3D flyer on that combo and was positive....

I'd say go for it! No glow for me ever again either.[:'(]
Old 08-20-2006, 09:43 PM
luv2fly2
My Feedback: (66)

What about this engine?

http://www.bmeengine.com/html/point90.htm
Old 08-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemen,

I'm going to help you solve this one, because I just can't resist. I have a Showtime and I use a BCMA 26cc gas engine in it. I did have to cut the cowl more than I would have liked due to the side carb and side-mount muffler, but the airplane performs fantastic!

Plenty of power, great handling, no complaints here. I think the BCMA 26cc is a little lighter, (38 oz. with muffler and ignition) than the Evolution 26cc, but probably not much. It is rated at 12 lbs. of thrust. Both of these figures are from the website, I have not weighed the plane is it is.

I have several flights and have noticed no problems with the airframe as a result of the engine. I have, on a side note, had the landing gear plate fail and break off, causing extensive damage to the SFG's. The plate was really not well reinforced, but I suppose that belongs in a different thread altogether.

Anyway, I hope that helps. It depends, I think, on what weight your gas set-up ends up being. You do save a little bit of RTF weight since you don't need as large of a gas tank as with nitro, but I think that is probably negligible in the end.

-Pat