Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Match box

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:14 AM
BROKE STAB
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Match box

Mike, first let me congratulate you on your Tucson placing.With all the time you spend with wife,kids,work,and then practice you must be really happy with your performance.I can only imagine how good you might place with more time , but such is life.
I have followed your flying for a while (since I have began flying after about 18 years off) And you are by far my favorite pilot.No attitude,no excuses,no crying just flying you are truly a great role model for the sport, so to speak.
My question is would it be adviseable or even possible to use one match box for 4 servos on the wings.Like two for one side and two for the other reversed.I know that you can set the end points on both sides to give you differental and still be able to set the end points in the radio.Does this make any sense to you?This would be for a 33% bird if that helps.

Thanks for your help, Daniel

This is a repost from yesterday as the mods can not figure what I did or why I must await approval.They looked into it and could find nothing.I guess it is going to happen sometimes.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:13 AM
MMcConville

Default RE: Match box

Thank you for the very kind words Daniel. I dont think I deserve them.

What you ask on the Matchbox can be done. Technically it'll work fine. The down side is that you'd loose the ability to adjust aileron differential from the transmitter. It would become a real task. You'd have to adjust all 4 servos with the matchbox to get the differential you want.
When I trim a model, I go to the differential screen in the air and make adjustments, try it, adjust and try till I have it the way I want it. Usually that takes about 5 minutes of airtime in one flight. Doing all servos in the matchbox would mean landing and making very cubmbusome adhustments, so it would probably mean many hours of flying to get it right.

If your doing any 3D stuff and want to use flapperond/spoilerons then you couldnt do they if using all 4 into a Matchbox either.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:52 AM
BROKE STAB

Thanks Mike for the advise.I do not think that is the route that I will be going.
I do however have another question for you though.I have some 8411 servos that I just cannot get alll the hum out of them.
I know that there can can be alot of things that leads to this so let me tell what is already done.
These are on the wings.
1. Both servos' are the same distance from servo bay to the hard point in the ailerons
2. Both control horns are the same distance from the control horns to the hinge line.
3. Both servo control horns are 90 degrees from the servo
4. All push rods are the same distance in length.
5. All control horns pivot points are over the hinge line.

Now with the Match box I can get one servo to not buzz at all and the other just hums to no end.No matter how I adjust the
match box I can not get the one to stop buzzing.I have measured over and over again and everything is the same.
When I set this up I make sure there is no weight on the surfce.Now this is not a real loud buzzing but a low humming sound.
One may make a cricking sound but the other just make a low humming sound.These are the out board servos on each wing.
Could this be maybe not enough voltage to the outter servos?I used a protractor to make sure the throws are the same as will as the center points.
They could be needed to just be sent in for a look at I guess.Any thoughts on this would greatly appreciated.
I know that it is hard to comment on something that is not there to see.I do have access to another fine pilot locally that flys another brand and is sponsored but I do not think he really likes to comment on other brands that much.
I am running 2-4800 mah li-ion packs through seperate swicthes,2 Fromenco adjustable regulators set at 5.7 volts each.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:53 PM
MMcConville

Its pretty typical for digital servos to buzz some. Normally when set up perfecly, the only way t get them to stop buzzing is to rotate the wing paner vertically. Gravity will be enough to make them buzz. If the buzz isnt lound like it would be ifi ti were in a bing, and if your battery drain isnt high, then its prbably fine. FWIW, when I turn on my models that have digital servos they are not silent. Thtas virtually impossible.

Hope this helps.