Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

Power setup for the Ultimate FX

Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Power setup for the Ultimate FX

Old 11-22-2005, 10:01 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Power setup for the Ultimate FX

I can't seem to pick the right powerplants for these little electrics!
I want your opinion on a rediculous powerplant for the E-flite Ultimate FX. I know Horizon recommends the park 370 inrunner on a 1320 3-cell for a "high powered" setup, bu is it really like a 2:1 thrust/weight ratio?
I must say that I live at 6500 feet and, although the elevation shouldn't play havok on an electric, it sure does a number on prop effectiveness!
To give you an idea, I have the e-flite Yak at 14.5 oz with a TP1320 3 cell, AXI 2212/34 and PHX-25 esc and it barely hovers, regardless of prop selections anywhere from a 10X4.7 to a 12X6. Should this have good performance at sea level, or did I just make the wrong powerplant choice?
Without turning this thing into a tank, what E-flite (or other) powerplant setup do you recommend?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:45 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power setup for the Ultimate FX

BODYWORKS:

Your motor and ECS are very good and combined with the TP 1320, you should have lots of power available. Think your choice of airframes may be improved. Have your exact motor system on a rcxplanes.com "Illusion". Its made from 6mm depron and is one tough little foamy. Try one and you will not go back to anyone else. Prop size? Ok, gonna hear some conflicts here. I use a apc 9 X 3.8. You may hear "Its to small a prop!" You could to to a 10 at your altitude. Proof of the good vertical permfomace with 16-17 minutes of duration on TP 1320. Power is as good as same set up on plane with Hacker 20-22L and flys longer.
The Illusion is about 37" span which you need at altitude, not to mention the weight of your overall system. Typical shock flyer would use a AXI 2204 or 2208 and possibly a lighter battery. Consider the new Polly Quest available now at Hobby Lobby that puts out the new industry standard of 20C. More energy in less weight. Our summer place is at 7,000 feet, all my stuff flys ok there except for the 100 foot tree magnets. Hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:38 PM
MMcConville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not an expert in electrics. At high altitude I'd think maybe the Park 400 would be better.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:09 AM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks Mike.
rmenke, are you saying you have the AXI 2212 outrunner with 34 winds (2212/34) as opposed to the 2212/26 wind motor, which is supposed to have much more pulling power?
And you are saying that you have a 3D plane that weighs 14.5 ounces and the vertical performance is excellerated/rediculous/unlimited?