Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Kit airplanes

Old 10-25-2007, 06:00 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit airplanes

Mike, Can you see a time when one of Horizon's airplane manufacturers will offer a kit or kits? I think there is still a strong-silent (albeit) minority of R/Cers who like to build model airplanes. In my club, which is small, I estimate 1/3rd of the members still enjoy building. Here on R/CU, the Kit Building-R/C Scale Aircraft-R/C Warbirds and Warplanes topics, are heavily trafficed and vibrant. This means to me building is still a popular part of this activity. With the reasonable prices Hanger 9 and Seagull are able to offer ARFs, I would guess offering kits would also be at attractive prices.

Don't get me wrong, I have ARFs (the majority of which are Hanger 9 and Seagull offerings) and am thankfull for them! However, I still love building and would love to see Horizon support this aspect of the hobby, also. Wha da ya think?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Mode One

Default RE: Kit airplanes

(After practically one month, I guess by there being no comment from Mr. McConville, the only logical conclusion I can come to is he feels there is no interest by Horizon to produce kits.

I am truly not trying to put words in Mike's mouth and if I am wrong about this I will gladly stand corrected!)

Immediatly after making the above statement, I took a trip to Horizon's website and see that Dumas, House of Balsa, Midwest and Multiplex Modelsport USA have been added to the product line. All are producers of model airplane kits!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:12 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is true Mode One, but can you imagine the QUALITY of a kit with Hangar 9's rep behind it?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Already asked and answered by Mike. Short version, the kit is easy, the construction manual is alot harder to do. According to Mike a good construction manual can take the better part of a year to produce. R&D versus sales doesn't make kits viable profit center anymore.

HTH
Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Mode One

Can you reference where this question was "Asked and Answered"
Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Mastertech

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_20...tm.htm#2090190

Good enough for ya?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Mode One

Yes, thanks for this lead. Forgive me for not knowing to go back to this thread, instead of posing the question!

As I have stated above, also answering my own question, Horizon is supplying kits to the market through other manufacturers.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Mastertech

Mode1

I couldn't figure out why they didn't offer a kit or an ARC for the Hanger 9 airplanes untill Mike posted that. I have some friends that are kit manu's. They also say the hardest part is the construction manual as well.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Mode One

You know, when I started out, instructions were a few (generally less then ten) type written pages without photos or drawings. You relied on the sparse instructions and the plans to build an airplane! I would be willing to go back to this level of help from a kit manufacturer. However, I think the people building ARFs might have a tough row to hoe and probably would stick to ARFs. Great Planes, Horizon's direct and biggest competitor is still doing kits. Obviously (and thankfully) they still feel providing kits is worth their effort!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Mastertech

I remember those kits with horrible instructions.

In today's world making an instruction manual should be easy with digital camera's. Kit design today is better than it was in the past due to the laser cutters out there. Those things have changed the art of model airplanes. Unfortunately the market is going towards ARFs. The vast majority on assemblers (notice I didn't use the term MODELERS) cannot build even close to today's ARF quality. So goes the hobby, follow the money.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:31 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry for the delay, I've been traveling extensivly for the better part of the last month. Actually, we have carried Dumas, Midwest and HOB for years. Longer than Hangar 9 has even been in existance in fact. They arent new to Horizon's offerings.
For all the reasons mentioned in the thread mentioned, the kit business just doesnt fit our business model.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Mode One

Thanks Mike for the reply! Do you still build airplanes (other then ARFs)?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:56 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Sadly, to be honest the last airplane I built (not assembled as in an ARF) was the prototype for the Midwest 80" Cap 232 kit in 1996. Since then I've either assembled ARFs or had pro builders like my best buddy Brian Hueffmeier build the kits models (Cardens) that I've owned.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Mode One

Mike, I still love to build and find it to be maybe the most enjoyable part of the hobby! I hope if you wish that you could find the time to build, that this happens for you someday soon!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
stirlo

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your Feed back and all your assistance and support on these forums, its truly second to none.

I hate to drag this one back up which I am sure you are getting frustrated about, but here is another point of view from outside of the US.
The point already raised on thier being some builders still in the world is valid but I agree not enough to warrant changing your business model to include kitting products that already sell very well as ARF's.

My argument for Kitting your planes is about cost and shipping. Getting a H9 Ultimate shipped to Aust increases the cost of the kit astromomically and simply makes the price too much. If the Ultimate was kitted the size of the parcels/boxs would be drastically reduced and in turn increasing your Global Sales. I only really see benifit in Kitting the Large range of kits that you carry not all of them.

With the current level of accuracy through Technology going into kits these days I dont really see there being need for a really detailed construction Manual to support the kit, Take the Stevens Aero Kits for example, you really dont need a manual at all to put one together other than Parts labled and shown in location. The Documentation that already comes with the ARFs contains all the important info already e.g. thrust lines and incidence etc...

I think that Kitting your Larger range of kits (100cc and up) would deffinalty increase your Global Sales and help achieve what should be your goal of a H9 Airframe in every modelers Hanger world wide..

I currently own several Composite Arf and Xtreme Composite planes in the 100cc class and I dream of owning a H9 Ultimate with DA150 but at $3500 AUS + for the Kit only the DA150 is looking like a cheap accessory..

Don't get me wrong even @ that price I am still keen as but it has become a wish list item rather than a shopping list item.

Hanger 9 Ultimate 100cc - There is deffinatly a market for this kit and you will see all the aeroworks/World models owners selling to "UP GRADE" to a real show stopper Having owned one they are not in the same class of quality, performance, and the flying wires well enough said..

Also Mike your TOC Scheme is top notch and I'd like to see it on more of your Kits, perhaps on Special edition runs

Thanks for reading Mike and Keep up the highest Level of ARF Quality Kits available..

Regards,

Stirlo
Australia.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Stirlo, here a deal for you. Pay for the plane and let me fly it for a while. With any luck I'll be able to re-kit it for you and send you the parts. All you have to do is glue the big parts back together. O'yes you'll need to recover the areas on the Ultracoat where the parts are glued. Dennis
Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 PM
stirlo

Nice... but no... how about this as a compromise.... just kit the Ultimate... infact just one... for me