Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

PROBLEM WITH H9 SUKHOI CANISTER INSTALL

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

PROBLEM WITH H9 SUKHOI CANISTER INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 03:43 PM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM WITH H9 SUKHOI CANISTER INSTALL

After getting to the point of putting the MTW canister in, with DA85, I got a line up problem. I'm using the MtW 25mm drop flex header that DA told me would work, but there is a sidewise line up mismatch with canister. The canister is in the fuse center, the header wraps around the motor and exits on center in the back. But no one, took in acount the right thrust, moving the exit of the header to one side. If you force the teflon coupling on it angles the canister, up againest the landing gear. Normally if the canister was not straight, it wouldn't hurt any thing, but with the landing gear wraping around the canister, you don't want the canister and landing gear rubbing togather when the engine is running. So the drop is not the issue, my motor was lined up to the marks on the firewall, using the template, the motor is in the center of the cowl opening, so what to do?? I know some of you were going to use the MTW 11o canister with the DA85. ANy body got this far and this came up?? Has anyone got one of the custom headers that Mike was going to have DA make? Unless Mikes header wraps around more to get it back to canister center, I'm stumped as to what to do. I did think of remounting motor on a slight angle to bring header back inline.Would like to hear any ideas to fix.
Rick
Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 AM
flybye Steve

Default RE: PROBLEM WITH H9 SUKHOI CANISTER INSTALL

Hey Rick, I just finished my new Sukhoi not long ago and used the same canister components you discribed. Mine went together without a problem and no contact with the landing gear.
All things considered, I'm guessing there is a difference in the mounting position of your motor. I used the template supplied in the manual and mounted or positioned the motor per their instructions.
Maybe you could post a photo showing how your motor is mounted.
Also worth mentioning, I had to cut out an opening in the cowl to clear the "Header". This requirement was not mentioned in the manual.
Wish I could be more help.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 AM
RICK9303

Hey Steve, Thanks for your responce, at least one canister and header went in. I rechecked every thing again last night, and the motor was drilled right to the template, it is centered to the cowl opening with just bolting the 2 lower screws, as i haven't cut it yet for the engine. All I know is if you set the canister in place, and put the engine and header on with no teflon coupler, there is a mismatch with header and can, The flex will not adjust for this with out pulling the can to one side, and hitting the landing gear. I think after looking at it again, I;m just going to rotate the motor slightly to line up everything. I got out the blind nuts, and have pluged the holes. Going to put canister with coupler and motor with header togather. Than center can to landing gear opening, and re mount motor on a slight angle, with it's center line where it should be. I think most people are using the pitts muffler and won't have a problem with that.

Rick
Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine lined up perfect. Can you post a picture?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 AM
flybye Steve

Hey Rick, I have recently had cause to re-look at the canister issue on my new Sukhoi.
You are right on about the alignment problem. I'm not sure why, but the canister on mine does not make contact with the landing gear. It does however make hard contact with the bulkhead behind the bulkhead with the silicon mounting. I will cut away part of the bulkhead in order to avoid the contact. If the bulkhead contact is not fixed, it will eventually damage the canister and it will also generate noise.
A couple of other items worth mentioning; I could not get one of the header screws through the header flange due to the close proximity of header pipe. I had to "slant" the hole with a drill in order to get the screw through the hole. I also had to make a special Allen Wrench in order to tighten the screw once the header was mounted.
You will also have to cut a sizable hole in the cowl to clear the header pipe.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
RICK9303

Flybye Steve, Glad that you rechecked your canister. I decided that since it did fit on a couple of installs, and I KNOW that I have every thing right, I just rotated the engine so the canister is centered to the landing gear. I slotted my header back bolt hole, and went out and got a 5mm bolt, with flat washer. I bolted everything togather, and slid it in place. I had to put a small hole for the header in the cowl, maybe because my engine is tipped, it pulls header away from cowl. I also noticed that no where in the instructions does it show the canister and motor installed in plane. Did you also notice that all the pictures of plane on box, show pitts muffler. I'm sure most of the people buying, will use the pitts muffler, and will care less how the canister fits. I did double up on the fire wall, as I thought with such a large hole for the carb, it could use some stiffening. Of course this is my own opinion, as well as putting some stiffening to ribs in ailerons, and aileron control screws.

Rick