RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   TEAM RCU - Mike McConville (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-mike-mcconville-321/)
-   -   New Hanger 9 Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/team-rcu-mike-mcconville-321/2068177-new-hanger-9-planes.html)

nor-pak 08-09-2004 11:52 AM

New Hanger 9 Planes

Hi Mike,
Do you think H9 will ever produce 35% to 40% Extra's, Edge etc. ?
And how about a 1/3 Cub with H9 quality . Thanks for any info .

Thanks Erick:)

MMcConville 08-09-2004 04:06 PM

RE: New Hanger 9 Planes

I cant really comment either way. Product plans are very confidential. However, if you want something specific, please let me know. The goal is to give modelers what they want.

nor-pak 08-09-2004 04:18 PM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info. I would really like to have a 1/3 J-3 or Super Cub,
I have not been able to locate a good quality ARF cub and I've had
quite a few H9 planes and I really like the quality.

Thanks Erick:D

MMcConville 08-09-2004 04:31 PM

Thats a pretty big model. I know Dave Patrick has a new 1/4 scale Super Cub which looks very nice. Looks like your looking for a model a little bigger.

invme 08-09-2004 05:54 PM

but mike as you said you mission is to give modelers what they want now i understand that the funtana buisness is in sebes hands but is thieir a way you could ask him or inform him that their is a demand for a larger funtana made by hanger 9. cause i know hundreds of people at our field and friends onlin that would like a funtana 120 or 140 that uses a saito 180 as its power house. see what you can do buddy cause that will be the first step to giving a fun lower costing step to giant scale for people with smaller pocketbooks. thx

Ben

Crash90 08-09-2004 06:28 PM

How about the giant ultimate in kit form?

Doug Cronkhite 08-09-2004 07:46 PM

When I had my Ultimate :D I got a lot of requests for a 100cc sized version.

MMcConville 08-10-2004 12:44 PM

I think we can fill the need for a good 180 size model w/o steping on Seba's toes. His Funtana 140 will be available in the US BTW. On the 100 size Ultimate idea, doesnt Aeroworks aleardy have one? I dont like to come to market with a product thats already out there unless there is a good reason to do it. One of the key things we've tried to do with Hangar 9 is be innovative and first in segments to with speecific models when we can.

Doug Cronkhite 08-10-2004 02:16 PM

They do have a 100cc Ultimate.. but the flying wires really turn people off.

DocYates 08-10-2004 02:34 PM

Talk to the boys about expanding the warbirds selection, maybe a Hellcat or Zero, or maybe a FW-190. I have all the others and really like the way they fly.
TOmmy

invme 08-10-2004 05:51 PM

bwt can you give an exact date mike or the most likely time.

MMcConville 08-11-2004 08:14 AM

I didnt follow the question on date or time? Of what?

TailTwister 08-11-2004 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: MMcConville
However, if you want something specific, please let me know. The goal is to give modelers what they want.
Well, now that you mentioned in...
I liked my Funtana 40. It lacked the "purebred" 3D performance of my other planes, but it was fun. I'd like more of the 3D capable planes that look like a scale plane. Maybe just an adaptation of the Funtana idea into other airframes, like is the case with the 33% line. I'd like to see them in the 40 to 72 size, and the 61 to 110 size, just as the Funtanas now do. An Edge 540T, based on the Funtana 90 idea (and numbers) would be great! A little more fuselage side area please...

Second, get a profile ARF in the family. The Pizzaz and Twist are neat fun fly planes, but lack the capabilities of a good profile. The tough part is to get something original. I'd suggest an ARF Ultimate, that looks like the 46%er (the best looking Ultimate yet). 900 squares and 4.5 pounds should do it. [8D] Just don't do another profile Edge, unless it blows the rest of the market away in some fashion. The profile market is all but saturated with 40 size Edge planes. We could use a couple of 60 to 90 size profiles, however...

Thanks Mike,

AEROSHELDON 08-11-2004 05:04 PM

I second the 100cc ultimate, as I won't by aeroworks but have had many hangar 9 planes (1/3 Sukhoi with da100 most recent). The DA100 is really too big and heavy for it, but the plane was a stepping stone to larger models. I have a Carden Edge now, and would really like to see a 100cc ultimate (qq has the Yak covered, when it gets here) so there are some of us that would buy an ultimate from H9 that wouldn't from other companies. BME makes one, too- but H9 has PROVEN to me that they can make a fine product and stand behind it. Besides, Mike, I'm from Blanchester- right down the road from Milford where I belive you used to fly so it's better to support the hometown dude! Besides, in the SA class what can you do that hasn't been done? A 100cc "funfly" type of non-scale funtana-like plane that just flys well would also be unique and awesome. Sort of a Chip Hyde vision but bigger- not a knock off of that, just a plane designed ground up to fly 3d well.

How's that for a wish list?

Volfy 08-11-2004 05:13 PM

Mike, how about some offerings in the 50cc class? Ever since the demise of the 80" Cap, H9 has not supported this increasingly popular 27-28% scale market segment. I understand there are already a slew of them on the market, but if the pie is large enough, there is no reason why H9 shouldn't try to get a good piece of it.

Obviously either Edge or Extra would be sure fire bets, but the market is inundated with them. I like the bold move with the 33% Sukhoi, so a 50cc replacement would be great also.

invme 08-11-2004 06:23 PM

the date or estimated time of the release of Sebes funtana 140 in the US is what i ment

Bob101 08-11-2004 10:02 PM

True 1.20 size aerobatic planes - edges/extras/caps etc... would seem to be popular to me - something in the mid 60" size.

Not the 1.20 (74") that take a 1.80 to fly well. Something a saito 1.50 would be good or even a Moki 1.35.

Make em like a bigger scale plane with plug in wings, make 2 versions - one with a scale covering scheme and another in pure white ala wildharerc.

Just a quality plane - great planes has to be selling a TON of patty wagstaffs and gene soucy extras - something like those just a tad smaller in the 10-12lb range (not like my H9 74" cap that stated 12.5lb but really weighs 14+).

That is all - I can dream right?

Mike Wiz 08-12-2004 04:26 PM

I was one of the people who asked for 100 size Ultimate. At the time I liked that size. Since then I've to a point a point where I think the 50cc class is as big as I want to live with on a daily basis. I'd like to see an Ultimate sized for a 50cc engine. Second choice would be one designed around your Saito 1.80!

Actually, if you were to design one around the Saito 1.80 while keeping an electric power conversion in mind, I'd probably buy that and pop in a big Hacker or a Actro and some Lipos. Keep it the same color as your big Ultimete, though. I loved that color scheme!

Wiz

MMcConville 08-13-2004 09:13 AM

Really greta input guys. I dont knwo the latest on Sebart's timing. I know the Funtana 140 looks nice in photos. Its a lottle updated from the kit Desert sells.

Aerosheldon, good to hear from a home town guy. Where do you fly? I used tobelong tothe Propbusters club. Flew there for many years with Tony Frackowiak.

Randy Brown 08-13-2004 10:59 AM

I have run into alot of people that wish the Cap would come out again but 2% bigger includding myself

Problem with our type of airplanes <Extras, Edges,Giles,Caps,Suk,yaks, velox etc>I have notice is there realy isn't anything new coming out in the fullsize worlds so how do you find something new to do other then re doing something thats been done but making it just a hair better

just my opinion

Randy

Mike Wiz 08-13-2004 12:29 PM

I think making those same old planes a hair better is a good idea. The MFG can reuse the old design with a few mods (save some upfront cost?), give it a nice new color scheme and we the customer get to have a new and improved plane.

Take for instance, the original H9 Cap ARF. It had a tired color scheme and was a little heavy. Re-do that today with the 33% Cap color scheme or the Ultimate color scheme, shave off some weight and I'll bet it would sell like mad. In fact, give it some plug in wings, a removable top hatch and several electric flyers would also be very interested..... I know I would!

Wiz

rcavi8ter 08-13-2004 01:26 PM

Hey Mike a Raven with a slightly cheated leading edge would be awsome. Not many people did the Raven. It has lots of side area for good knife edge and if you cheat the leading edge a little it would not have the Edge snap problems. Could be cool. Also make it a little larger to fit a 100cc.

Chris

AEROSHELDON 08-13-2004 03:01 PM

Mike,

I fly near Fayetteville at a 2300' grass strip, it is called Kable field. You should fly there with us if you're in town. How about the 100cc ultimate?

Sheldon

Wild Beat 08-13-2004 03:12 PM

How about a pattern plane? Looks like European and Japanese models, all built up, around 10.5 pounds, easily set up with Ys 140 sport, Saito 180, or OS 160. Pipe tunnel as per Funtana, if needed, plug in wings and hatch. I dunno about others, but I would love a good, solid, quick and easy to set, solid performing pattern ARTF, at around the $400 mark. I know that quality compared to other brands will be far inferior (like PL, for instance), but I am sick of getting a nice kit and waiting ages to get all the parts and accesories and so having to wait to fly. If you can throw in all the accesories needed, that are usable and bump up the price by another few bucks then no problem.
So, to cap it all off. A 2m pattern ARTF, cheap, solid, competitive, around 10.5 pounds, with usable accesories in the box, so I can fly the damn thing without waiting to shop for other parts.

DaveR 08-16-2004 02:12 AM

Ditto to the 50cc class planes. But my request isn't a plane, but designing future gas powered birds to more easily allow a header and canister muffler(such as KS or PEFA) to fit. Standard or Pitts style mufflers are rather loud on the gas engines.

MMcConville 08-16-2004 08:27 AM

The Raven is an interesting airplane, though cheating the LE sweep from straight to swept I think changes the flavor of the airplane. However didnt the Ravenhave a wing with a swept LE and TE in the early days brfore he put the Zivk wing on it.

BTW, what snap problems does the Edge have? I though the Carden Edge I had was one of the better snapping airplanes I have owned. The new H9 Edge is also one of the best snapping models of the H9 family. Do you mean the unusual spin entry stall (or lack of stall)?

jeide 08-16-2004 09:49 AM

Hi. How about offering some of your planes as a kit. Most of them all use laser cutting now anyway so it wouldn't be to hard to puts some parts in a box and sell it cheaper. I personally like to build my own stuff and like to give my own look. Jim

rcavi8ter 08-16-2004 12:36 PM

Yes Mike I am sorry I meant to say spin not snap. I would not cheat the LE much maybe an 1" on each tip. I don't think you would notice the sweep unless you looked real hard. I think this might help the spin. Myself and DS have talked about this a bit and both think the cheated LE would make the aircraft awsome all around.

Chris

MMcConville 08-16-2004 02:18 PM

Re the Raven. It would help but it wouldnt be a Raven. IMHO wing planform isnt fair game to change if changing from a straight LE or TE to something else. However, George Hicks and I had this discussion a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure the Raven (not Turbo Raven) originally had a different, swept LE and TE wing.

As far as the request for kits, that us an interesting idea. On the surface it seems pretty simple, however one huge road block is the development of a construction manual. To do one for a kit to H9 standards would be a huge undertaking. I remember from my days at Midwest, it took us longer to produce a construction manual than it did to design, prototype, test and finalize the model.
I dont believe we could recoup the investment it would take to kit our models.

Mike

BRYAN01601 08-16-2004 03:31 PM

MIke I would love to see an a-10 arf and I know there are many others out there feel the same. The issue is to make it a twin or a single engine pusher like combat models. It would have to be a larder model like 1/4 scale or so. I love my hanger 9 cessna keep up the good work.
bryan

Doug Cronkhite 08-16-2004 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Re the Raven. It would help but it wouldnt be a Raven. IMHO wing planform isnt fair game to change if changing from a straight LE or TE to something else. However, George Hicks and I had this discussion a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure the Raven (not Turbo Raven) originally had a different, swept LE and TE wing.

As far as the request for kits, that us an interesting idea. On the surface it seems pretty simple, however one huge road block is the development of a construction manual. To do one for a kit to H9 standards would be a huge undertaking. I remember from my days at Midwest, it took us longer to produce a construction manual than it did to design, prototype, test and finalize the model.
I dont believe we could recoup the investment it would take to kit our models.

Mike
The Raven originally had the stock Rebel 300 wing on it until Wayne broke it (failed 1 of 2 spars completely). This was a double tapered wing similar to the Extra. Wayne had Zivko design him a new wing, and the Raven currently has what amounts to the Edge 540T wing on it. Straight leading edge and all.

TeamVertical 08-16-2004 11:05 PM

I second the idea of Wildbeat, with a full 2M Patternship. Hanger 9 has some of the best built IMAC type ARF planes out there. It would be a product many people would be interested in. If built light with the ability to do either 2 or 4 stroke setups.

rcavi8ter 08-17-2004 08:12 AM

Here is the reply I got from Wayne in question about his wing.

"Chris,

The original Raven wing had a swept leading and trailing edge, plus wing tip plates. I replaced that wing with an Edge wing from Zivco around 1995.

Wayne"

otterdriver 08-17-2004 10:49 PM

Hi Mike I would like to through my 2 cents in I have had 3 of your 33%ers Cap -Sukhoi -330S. I Would like to see 33 to 35% plane for the advanced and unlimited guys something sleek with thin wings thats good in the wind maybe a Votec or a 260. Mark,

SunShyne 08-17-2004 11:07 PM

I voted once and I know ill vote again!

More 1/4 scale stuff for us guys that cant afford or have the want/space for the 30%+ birds

I would DIE if the Sukhoi was ever available in 25%!!

matt

marmitas 08-18-2004 03:04 PM

I would also like to vote for a 2m Pattern rig. Fixed gear. PLUG IN WINGS. With Hanger 9 hardware...especially a pull-pull wheel...and maybe some of those servo arms. (while I am on the topic of the aluminum parts, the gold has to go.)
Call it the Desire 2005X

G-Rod[sm=thumbup.gif]

Futurase 08-24-2004 11:24 PM

I sure would ilke to see some planes for the 50cc category like the 80" Cap was far. A lot of us guys don't want the big, big birds like 33+%. I have a DA 50 and would love to see a plane in the category like the 80" Cap. Be a perfect market for a G62 and like you market the 33%'s for the GT-80. Any place a G62 will fit my DA will for sure.

I'm not real picky on what. A Ultimate (as it has been mentioned Aeroworks makes one this size 28%, but it is short, fat and looks like a Pitts and not a Ultimate), Edge, or anything along those lines. Katana.

There are several 80" Caps at my field and all of us wonder if/when something else will come along in the same size.
Thanks,

Norman Ross

Wild Beat 08-25-2004 05:57 AM

I take it Mike doesn't like the pattern plane idea????[:o] :D

MMcConville 08-25-2004 10:15 AM

I'm not sold on a 2m pattern plane. I think the market would be pretty small.

rmh 08-25-2004 10:36 AM

Small?
I sold/gave away all of my molds --------------