Community
Search
Notices
Test Posting Forum Want to test to see if you can post or test a feature like smilies, avatars or images but don't want to pollute the main forums? Test it out right here.

antique...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 AM
baseball2414

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antique...

i need some help.. my dad has an old cox tethered funny car that hasnt been run since like the early 80's i guess (he got it in the 70's) and im trying to surprise him and get it running and i need to know a couple of things... first can any of the 049 glow plugs fit it (i think its a 049 black widow but im not quiet sure) second - can i get the fuel for it at a local hobby store ( its supposed to be cox fuel but i would think with the right mixture it would work as well) and third - does anyone know exactly how to put them together cause he took it apart a long time ago and hasnt been able to remember how to exactly put it all back together... i think the part that is supposed to cut the engine out at the end of the run hasnt been put back in... but if anyone has any advice, pics diagrams etc if you could please email me at [email protected] i would be sooooo happy,
thanks,
Paul
Old 06-26-2006, 01:14 PM
rszanti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: antique...

I can tell you that if it's an original Cox engine, you must buy a Cox glow plug as a replecement as the whole head is actually the glow plug. But there are adapters made that replace the head so you can install a normal glow plug. If you opt for the adapter, then you only need to be careful about the heat range of the plug you use.

For a lot of Cox Historical info check out http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm, as far as I know the best site for any info related to Cox products such as cars and particularly engines. He may even have a copy of those instructions you want (you didn't mention the exact model) available for download.

For vendors who can provide adapters, glow plugs, etc. do a Google search for Cox and you'll be snowed under by the places you find.

When you look for fuel, be careful that what you buy is formulated for 1/2A (.049 sized) engines. There are many other brands besides Cox. The best place to start is with your local hobby shop. Mail order fuel is ussually very expensive as you must pay a $25 shipping premium because it's a highly flammable item - the hobby shops spread that extra cost over multiple cans so you don't pay the brunt.

Putting it back together ..... I could show you , but I don't have any diagrams, etc to provide. Maybe another member will have a copy of the instructions or could provide some helpful pics.

Richard