Community
Search
Notices
Thunder Tiger Engine Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about Thunder Tiger Engines here!

TT-61 abc

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:34 AM
YAT-28E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT-61 abc

I have an older GP 61 that has served well for 15 plus years with minimal flights over the years. It has bee running great on 10% fuel any type. I tried to up my prop last year to a 12-7. I got hot after a few minutes and quit and I belly landed smoothly last year. That was the last flight of the year . Now this year after replacing all tubing etc fresh fuel and she seems to now get hot and lose power. Did that 1 time overheating cause permanent damage? It has been in the same plane all these years with no changes to ducting or otherwise. Carb has been taken off and cleaned and everything looked fine.

Please advise on any ideas or things to look for as this engine has been broken in to spec and always started and ran as well as any engine I ever owned! I don't want to give up this engine!!

Thanks

mike

Last edited by YAT-28E; 06-02-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For all the years you were successfully running the engine, which propeller were you using? You mention that you "upped" the prop to a 12 x 7. Did you change your needle settings? Did you change your fuel? Exhaust system? How is it cowled? Is the fuel system free-flowing with no leaks? You need to make sure everything is correct before suspecting the engine, itself.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 AM
YAT-28E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bax,

I ran it for years on 11-7 and 12-6 with no issues. Same plane so nothing changed. I flew with 12-6 as the first flite and everything was perfect. Second flite switched to a 12-7 looking for a little more getty up and got it!! I thought wow this is great until @ 2 minutes in the flite she started sagging and then quit late 2013.I pulled the tank out put new lines on this year and cleaned out the carb and flew last week and it just was weak from the get go so I landed and will not fly until I can figure it out. So no needle changes per se couple clicks on high end, low stayed the same. I will pull it out of the plane to see if all bolts are tight on the head and crank. It may be worth the min charge to send it in and have it looked at. Is there anything else I should look for?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It may be that the engine had a lean run with the resulting overheat. That could cause problems with the compression seal. You may need a new piston/liner assembly.