Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Crashed and Don't know why

I'm kinda new to the flying thing, I bought a raptor 50 ? se,titian about a year ago. in a box totaled out. Bought a lot of new parts, anything questionable was replaced. Radio used is 6EX, 401 gyro. Now I flew this bird several time without fail. NOTE: I don't do 3D What I am doing is teaching myself to fly to set up for Scale. I have several hours on sim and Like I said I have flown about 5-6 flights on this bird.Β*I do my range checks , the wind was 1-3 mph, clear and about 75 degrees. I lifted off into what little wind there was and proceeded downwind. When I turned it back into the wind I could not get it out of the turn it proceeded to roll right and nose down, Which is where it found Earth. Post crash investigation: The only linkage that failed was the forward elevator, due to canopy contact on impact. also when I returnedΒ*to the point of departure, I checked the radio, It all worked fine, with the exception of elevator of course. So I didn't see linkage problem or radio. I know my skill level is such I didn't panic or get disoriented. I was wondering if anyone has had similar experience? What should I be looking for?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Crashed and Don't know why

I know i have had the tail linkage guide slide up into the tail servo and bind up. But that was on a tail mounted servo. But it keep the heli in a slow pero that I had to try to land.
    If you haven\'\'t broke it yet you are not trying!
    Raptor 50 and 30, trex 450 V2, DX8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

could be linkage locked-out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I checked Linkage when I was disassembling the bird, Couldn't find anything noticeable. However, in reading some of the other discussions, I think I found my problem, Its in the servos. I am using the wrong ones they are the stock ones that came with my Spectrum DS7. OK. New parts on the way, Will order new Servos. I have the info and I thank you guys for the help. I will let all know how it comes out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Were those servos to weak to move it or something? Just wondering.
    If you haven\'\'t broke it yet you are not trying!
    Raptor 50 and 30, trex 450 V2, DX8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The DS821's come with a warning not to use them in 50 size nitro helicopters because they can fail due to vibration.

Usually one of two things happen. The amplifier dies and they stop responding, or the output shaft shears off the top of the servo flush with the case.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nothing like finding out the hard way, I thought I could get by since I was doing hover practice and nothing 3-D. Live and learn. Will be ordering the good stuff when I rebuild. I will most likely replace the Gyro just for good measure, I seemed to get some tail hunting, the first time I found the pitch slider to have a quite a bit of slop in it. Snugged it to zero play but not too tight, this improved handling. as I flew more it started to wonder around a bit. It had to be the servos. BTW from the time I built my Kinetic to rebuilding the raptor the first time was over a year. I learned valuable lesson too, read. I can't quote the numbers on the servos I put in the Kinetic,but rest assured they were recommended by people who had been flying helis for a long time, and thats what I will go back too, regardless of cost. On another note, I hvae a brand new Caliber 5, anything I should watch-out for?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could it have been your battery? Was it too low?
    Blade MCX, Blade MCPX, Half a Blade CX2, Trex 450SA, Trex 600E Pro, Trex 600N 3G, Aeolus 50.

Who Needs A Runway?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man I tell you I have had to crashes already been flying helies for 2years now and both crashes was due to my servos going out its better to do your homework and put good servos in and not have to worry about a crash. My raptor 50 just went down because of the jrds821 went out on me all together this servo performs awesome does everything I want it to but I just found out about the viberation issue with them so I am replaceing them all because it just not worht risking another crash think I am going with Hitecmg 5654 or futaba 3050 what you guys think?? Last time she went down it was full right into the field if it was left it would have hit problem 3 or 4 people that was watching it [X(] it would suck to hit someone with your helicopter you know man I would feel bad. Wounder why some servos can handle the viberation better than say the 821 does man it sucks to have to replace them all

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

would the ds 821's be alright in a 30 size nitro heli?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They fall within the specs from the manufacturer for 30 size nitros.

Personally, for my personal helicopters, if you throw them in a bucket of water and they float, they will work on a nitro heli, if it sinks to the bottom, don't.

Your milage may vary.

Don't get me wrong, I fly a lot of JR/Spektrum gear, but those particular servos have issues.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK guys, Sorry i have been away for awhile, Had this thing called heart attack and triple bypass, such an bother, doing fine though, I found the root of crash on the raptor, it was a faulty switch harness, the switch itself was soft, in that it did not have positive on/off locking indent, so ergo I got smacked. Thanks for all your input, I hope this will help others avoid disaster. look for my new problem under title TAIL SPIN.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well its nice to here that you are doing fine after your surgey thank God for that. I am glad you found your problem always a good thing to find out the reason you crash so you can prevent the samething form happening twice. Good luck with your next flight attempt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: baron56

OK guys, Sorry i have been away for awhile, Had this thing called heart attack and triple bypass, such an bother, doing fine though, I found the root of crash on the raptor, it was a faulty switch harness, the switch itself was soft, in that it did not have positive on/off locking indent, so ergo I got smacked. Thanks for all your input, I hope this will help others avoid disaster. look for my new problem under title TAIL SPIN.

I prefer to run dual batteries/switches in my aircraft that are either helicopters .30 or larger, or any plane larger than .40 size. My Raptor 50 was on single battery, but I'm now rebuilding it after a tail rotor servo failure and will be setting it up with dual batteries and switches.

Glad to hear you're doing better!
    Cub Brother #10
    Waco Brother #221