Search
Notices

Futaba S Bus on Heli?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Komodo11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba S Bus on Heli?

I am purchasing my initial heli, Raptor 50 Titian SE. I am going purchase a build your own kit (somewhat) from Tower Hobbies. The Tx selections are all are Futaba and I have choosen the 8FGH 8 Channel 2.4 GHz Heli reciever. Also included in the kit is the R6108SB Rx. I have read some about the S Bus capabilities and even searched the forums here but most of the answers dealt with fixed wings. Have any of you ever tried the S Bus on a heli or have an opinion one way or the other? I figure since I have to buy servos already, the Rx is S Bus capable so why not go ahead and just install the system initially. I do not think it costs much more then decent digital servos anyhow.

If there is a thread discussing this already could someone let me know were and I will read it instead of starting a whole new topic.

Thanks,

Komodo
Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Futaba S Bus on Heli?

Not that I know of specifically but its just a way of connecting servos to the reciever, no reason it wouldn't work on a helicopter.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM
colrod12

I'm wondering too!

What if this system turns out to be a bad move on the part of futaba? least with Decent digi servos you won't have the extra, unsupported gear that you'll have to shelf.

for starters I would hold back and just get a set of nice servos, they'll do the job just fine on you'r 50. give that, S- tech time to see if its worth the money.

that would be my suggestion.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

My .02 on this:

S-bus looks good for airplanes that have lots of servos doing the same things sucha s multiple aileron or ganged rudder servos.

As for helis, the servo wires are (generally) longer than needed, we bundle them in the interest of making it neat and tidy.

So, kind of taking the long view (at this time) I cannot see the need for something like the S-bus system on a heli.

Seems to be more of a marketing (read new and different, a money making) idea in search of a problem that is not too much in existence.

Don't flame me too much, I was a confirmed Futaba user untill they missed the boat with their original ideas for 2.4 Ghz. Now I use Spektrum/JR with good success. One transmitter, any channel count receiver with their brand name on it.

Gary

Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Komodo11

Well we shall see.  This kit I ordered came with an S Bus controller.  Even though you can use non S Bus servos it was actually cheaper to buy the S Bus servo and cable the the adapter cable that allowed normal servos.  Looks like I am going to be the test dummy for the S Bus.  Hopefully it wont backfire in my face. 

Komodo
Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

It'll probably work just fine. As I have stated tho: its a solution in serch of a problem that few have. Another thought: can the S-bus system work with non Futaba servos? If not, that would be one way for Futaba to increase their servo sales.
In closing regarding your coment on being able to use the S-bus controller with standard servos: why add more complexity to a already very reliable system?
Gary