Search
Notices

UNUASUAL PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:35 AM
amsharma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNUASUAL PROBLEM

I was flying my raptor 50 with OS 50 after a crash….in which I had to autorotate it on a bush…I broke both carbon blades and the spindle was found bent…rest no damage…
I was adjusting the blade tracking and after 2-3 attempts I got the tracking rt…than went into a fast fwd flt took a circle and as the heli came near me , it starting vibrating badly, the sound of rotors changed as u wud hear from a real heli and I cud see that one blade it totally out of track by a huge margin…I managed to land the heli with no damage … wen I inspected the heli I was not able to find anything to lay my finger on the blades were not out of track on ground, when I checked with a pitch gauge…so I decided to disassemble the head completely…I took out the blades from blade grips and tried to open screws that goes in on both ends of the spindle…to my surprise the screw opened with much less force than what it takes to open them normally…but none of them was loose…

The cause of the vibration and changed sound is due to out of track blade by huge margin is understood but why one blade went out of track in mid flt with no change is still not understood…havnt flown that heli after this incident…looking fwd to understand why this happened…

Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Callouscade
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: UNUASUAL PROBLEM

well, this happened to my 450, started shaking terribly. inspect your main gear for stripping. i ended up bending a shaft. the upper bearing block came loose and caused the blades to go out of track as the shaft banged around.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
chadxp1
My Feedback: (2)

check your spindle dampners. hows the swasch plate?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Thats blade woof.

Check or replace the dampeners and make sure they are lubed with silicon grease.

In the case of what happened to you I would inspect the screws that hold the balls into the blade grip to see if they are bent.

Other causes are the radial bearings floating around not tight in the blade grips or a problem with the thrust bearings.

After that, check everything in the collective system from the servo to the blade grips for slop.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 AM
ronlund

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

... the spindle was found bent…
It's also possible that, when you replaced the thrust bearings, you might have put the race with the smaller diameter on the inside. That would cause irregular pitch changes in the air but on the ground, they would appear normal.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Welcome to the forums Ron!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen the plastic links strip and / or break and appear to be fine while on the ground with delicate handling. When BarracudaHockey says go over the entire head, he means everthing, including the links, rods, and anything that is not molded into ONE part.

Ron: Greetings from Kansas! Nice to see you here! We miss you guys! I need to make some time and take a trip to Corpus.

Rafael