Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Thunder Tiger - Raptor 30, 50, 60, 90
Reload this Page >

Raptor .30 Questions Please help a Newbie!

Community
Search
Notices

Raptor .30 Questions Please help a Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM
TheFridge189

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor .30 Questions Please help a Newbie!

Hi all. I have somone who wants to do a partial trade on a Raptor .30 ARTF. I have a couple questoions. He will give the raptor new in box, 3 sets of maverick carbon fiber rotors New in box, .37 O.S engine New in box, and a Futaba Governer New in box, and finally real flight flight simulator. He offered all this plus $250 for a Gas powered rc boat that I have.

So, now come the questions.... First thing is I have experience with Blade helicopters (cx2 and the micro's) but no experience with the big ones, let alone glow powered engines. What will I need to get running besides servos and a radio? Also, will my 5 channel spektrum radio and reciever from my blade cx-2 work for this heli? What servo's would you recomend? Would it be a good idea to have my local hobbytown build the helicopter, since I don't have any experience with installing servos and the governer? I was thinking of having them build it, and in the mean time I could practice with the flight simulator while it's being built. What do you guys think I should do?

Please help!
Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: Raptor .30 Questions Please help a Newbie!

Depends on what you value the boat at.
4 servos and a gyro servo combo, a glow ignitor, and an electric starter with a 6mm start wand (does not require the more expensive, one way bearing equipped wand)
No, you need a miniumum of 5 channels for a CP heli, you have a govenror so that will need one, and any decent gyro needs one for the gain.
No, build it yourself, its easy, everything you need to know can be found at www.raptortechnique.com
Old 03-12-2012, 12:26 PM
TheFridge189

How much do you think the electronics and nitro engine parts will be when all is said and done? The boat has an $700 value.
Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 PM
BarracudaHockey

A NIB kit is 300ish, a 37 is another 150, Mav blades depending on which series they are are about 70/set but some of them are paint stirrers. Real Flight depends on the version. Futaba gov is a nusance and a much better/simpler one is around 120 with a programmer board.

As for servos, I'd get Align DS610's and a 401/9245 for the gyro but there are better gyros out there like the 520 if you dont mind spending a few dollars more.
If the engine doesn't come with a muffler you'll have to find one, the kit muffler for the 30 is way too small for a 37 to breathe and run right.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 PM
TheFridge189

Ok thank you for the info. When i said how much will it be i ment to ask how much will a radio, reciever, servos and the gyro cost? How much more will i have to spend to get in the air, complety finished build? Also, i'm sorry for asking this again, but you said i need 4 servos, and the governer. Doesnt that add up to 5, so my spektrum 5 channel radio system should work right? If my radio doesnt work, could you tell me what radio and reciever to buy?

To get this thing flying up in the air, how much money will I have to put into it?
Thanks a ton barracuda.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 AM
BarracudaHockey

Actually, I said you would need 4 servos plus a gyro/servo combo, so thats a total of 5 servos.

A collective pitch helicopter needs a minimum of 5 channels just to fly.
Aileron, Elevator, Collective Pitch, Throttle, and Rudder.
Any decent gyro is going to need a gain channel which will be 6 channels, and your governor will need a control channel so thats 7.

So, check into some Align DS610 servos (x4) and a GY401/9254 combo.

If you're going to play with nitro helis get a DX7 and an AR7000 or AR7010