Notices

newbie seeks help and advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 AM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie seeks help and advise

Hello all, ive been an rc plane enthusest for 7 years now, never really had much intrest in the helis as I have allways thought they were out of my leage, and possibly still could be? I have recentlly aquired a raptor 60 and seek advise and posibly a teacher in the Arlington TX area. I dont want to do any thing until I have some one go over this thing with me and show me what I need to know. Im a member of a very small club and no one at all flys the helis so seeking help there is no good. I really would like to learn the basics and have a new intrest in this great hobby. I will try and get some pics up of what I have.These pics arnt the best and I will get better pics up soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56346.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1779873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89119.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1779874  
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 AM
SCOTT42

Default RE: newbie seeks help and advise

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48944.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1779875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62518.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1779876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53799.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1779877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85678.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1779878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs97343.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1779879  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

First thing I see is the servo's look like they are DS811's. If your just learning to hover they might be alright but in looking up the specs on them they are not recommended on heli's over 30 size. So as you progress, imo, that's something you should change. I can't see what kind of tail servo you have.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the green flybar paddles were the light ones for quicker response. I always had the black ones and they were good for starting out.

Btw, what's that little green box hanging off the hopper tank?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:04 PM
SCOTT42

hey goggles, thank you for you input, I just looked at the tail servo and its a Futaba S9254 digital servo. the green box that you asked about appers to be a temp sensor as it has leads that wrap around the head of the engine, the battery is dead on it so it wont come on at this time. one of the first things I think I need is a good spectrim receiver so I can bind it to my DX7 but not real sure which is the best option, or what is the correct setup inside my radio. To be quiet honest im not in no hurry to power it up as I feel and think I need to get some time in on a smaller blade setup and build my cofidence and ability to fly. But I really would like to find some one local that can help out with some hands on exsperiance.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Thats a Venom temp sensor, it uses a watch battery.

AR7010 is the current 7 channel reciever though if you can find an AR7000 that will work fine as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Goggles

Temp sensor......interesting, I never seen that before.

Your 9254 is a good servo and I'm sure your throttle servo is ok, but I'd change the others. Something in the .11 - .14 speed range or less and made for heli's will keep you going strong.

I've bought a few AR7000 rx's and for what I need, they do the job for about $70 used.

The Blade MCPX is a good little starter heli and very durable.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
BarracudaHockey

Car guys use them a lot. I've seen them and even played with them on helis but after a while I can tell by sound and feel if a motor is running right.

They will tell you peak temp in flight though which can be useful, I was surprised at the difference of hammering it, then landing and spooling down and sticking a finger on the backplate. I've seen them drop 20 degrees in that time.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

It looks like a R50 or R30 frame to me (even better if it is). I think the lighter green paddles will make it to twitchy for a newby, they are mostly for 3D and such, I would swap them with the regular black ones. Good lookin' machine though!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Bobt2

yes, get rid of the green paddles. they are the light ones for faster responce. get a set of the black ones. there cheep enough.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 PM
SCOTT42

Thank you guys for the info. My first question is would the be a spot on the frame of the heli that would ID the modle it is? Allso where would i find the black paddles? Ive looked at tower hobby but didnt see them. Is there any other place to buy parts? I picked me up a blade 400 today, got it off of craigslist, got the heli, dx5e, a MCX2 plus a box full of parts for 100.00
Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: SCOTT42

Thank you guys for the info. My first question is would the be a spot on the frame of the heli that would ID the modle it is? Allso where would i find the black paddles? Ive looked at tower hobby but didnt see them. Is there any other place to buy parts? I picked me up a blade 400 today, got it off of craigslist, got the heli, dx5e, a MCX2 plus a box full of parts for 100.00
There is nothing stamped on the frame, it's just a R60 looks nothing like a R30 or R50. The difference between the R30 and a R50 is blade length, and boom length and gear ratio and of course engine size and maybe tail rotor blades, can't remember. A R50 will have 600mm blades and R30 will have 550mm blades. You have an nice machine there!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 PM
SCOTT42

Thank you, the guy I got it from ive known for sometime, he is an absalute master at building these things and flying them. The best Ive ever seen, he has just basiclly give up flying them, gone thru a nasty divorce. Over the last 6 years ive ended up with all 4 of his planes, now this heli. i dont speak to him that often but he will call me out of the blue and offer me ridiculasy crazy offers such as this one. I only paid 200.00 for this thing. When he builds planes/helis its a very slow process for him and he buys the best parts he can. This has been sitting for about 4 years without being run and the inside of the engine looks new no rust at all, its not gummed up as he oiled it very well before he stored it. Hes got 3 or 4 more helis thats nicer than this one that he wont turn loose of yet. Ive asked him for help and advise but he said hes done with it, I was hopeing by asking it might inspire him to do it again.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 AM
BarracudaHockey

Thats definately a Raptor 50 airframe, based on the muffler size I'd say its a 50 V2. Its also got a lot of metal upgrades that appear from the pictures to be Mavrikk parts from www.heliproz.com

They should have the black paddles. There's a few of those upgrades I'd do away with if it were my machine.

http://www.raptortechnique.com will give you plenty of info, and heliproz or www.ronlund.com will have the parts.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Bobt2

tower has the black paddles.. part # is LXAFDE