Search
Notices

RUNNING IN RL 53 & STICKY CARB PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:27 PM
amsharma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUNNING IN RL 53 & STICKY CARB PROBLEM

Can any body throw some light on RUNNING IN & RL 53 STICKY CARB PROBLEM, as I have started using this ENGINE on TITAN 50.
I have already set the low speed needle, its idling fine, than started closing the high speed needle from 3 turns open now i am little over 1 1/2 turns
and started hovering.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: RUNNING IN RL 53 & STICKY CARB PROBLEM

Is your carb sticking or is that something you read about?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:20 AM
amsharma

Hello Sir,
my carb is not so smooth from 0% throttle to 15% throttle, its like the some thing is scraping inside very lightly, than its absolutely smooth till 100%, the digital servo keeps buzzing very lightly in that zone only and i can feel it, when i rotate it with my hand after disconnecting it with servo.
I have read a lot after posting this question on this issue n i have found that sticky problem happened in NOVAROSI also...lol
So i would like to know if u sir can throw some light on this matter and also on tuning this engine properly .

what i did for tuning
-i adjusted the low speed needle till i got the engine rich, as found by pinching the fuel line the rpm increased, than i closed the needle gradually till the engine just started to die down on pinching the fuel line
- than i started closing in the main needle from 03 turns open, gradually, the engine was dropping rpm as i increased throttle, with my closing of main needle the rpm started increasing and i started hovering the raptor for short durations and letting it idle for short durations as well .
- i was also checking the back plate, it was very hot , could not even place finger for 2 sec after hovering, engine is giving lots of white smoke.
- fuel i am using 80% mithyl 20% castor, its quite warm in this part of INDIA.
- i am still running a lot richer and have reached 1& 1/2 turns plus 04 cliks open and will continue hovering/idling for 02 more tanks, closing the throttle 2 clicks at a time till i get a crisp rpm response (i don know more than this)...but i will ensure there is lots of smoke at all times or i will open the main needle by a few clicks till i get smoke.
- i want to kno if i have to close the slow speed needle also, manual says so.
-i also want to know for how many seconds i should be able to put my finger on backplate.
-i am flying on NORMAL mode with absolute linear setting on throttle and - 4 to +8 on pitch.

Regards
Amit
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

could not even place finger for 2 sec after hovering
When you have a brand new engine, you need to break it in. Usually this takes roughly about a gallon. You have new parts that are wearing into each other so the engine will want to run hot, so to combat this we must run the engine richer than normal to take the heat away from the engine. It sounds to me that you are trying to get it set for best performance right off the bat instead of running it rich. Hopefully in your quote above you have not already done damage to the engine. If all you're doing is hovering and landing then you should be able to hold your finger on the back plate as long as you want, if the engine is just being broken in and running rich.

It sounds like you have your idle set not to bad but I would richen up the high needle so it will just run and hover. Run a tank or 2 just hovering. Then on your 3rd tank start to make it work a bit, hold it in a hover and do a quick little punch up and slowly bring it back down to a hover, let it rest (cool down), then punch it up again and repeat for the whole tank. On the next 2 tanks you can start leaning it out a little at a time and by about the 6th tank you can start doing forward flight, doing what ever you want and then start tuning the engine for best performance.

This is basically what advice I had some one give me once and after a rebuild (ran it hot and burned it up) it has worked quite well, and the engine runs great. I'm sure you may be others opinions on break in and they will probably be all good advice.

I can't help you with your carb problems, but it sounds like something is wrong for sure.

What kind of fuel are you running? If you're mixing your own, you might not have enough oil content, but I don't know much about castor oil. I use Byron Originals 30% Rotor Rage "Masters Blend" and it seems to work very well in my engines.

Hope this has helped a little.