Notices

Raptor 60 Engine too rich?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor 60 Engine too rich?

I have recently just started to fly my Raptor 60V2 and while I am new to nitro helis I have flown nitro airplanes for about 10 years. I am very familiar with the correct mixture for airplanes but am wondering if I have the mixture correct for my heli.

Here is a detailed description hopefully someone can chime in and let me know if this is normal.

My setup is a Raptor 60v2 with an OS70 with Hatori muffler running 30% Odonnell fuel spinning 680 Mavrik carbon blades. The problem I am worried about is how much oil is coming from the exhaust. My driveway looks like someone put a M80 in a quart of oil and let it blow up all over. The engine runs great. Starts immediately, idle pitch does not change after glow igniter removed, idles fine, idles up into a hover perfectly with no hesitation or lag, and forward flight goes off without a hitch with no signs of overheating. Smoke is a little more than I am used to but nothing near a James bond smoke kit.

With airplanes I am used to a moderate amount of exhaust oil with a properly tuned nitro engine but with this heli the stuff is everywhere.

So the question arises am I way to rich on my mixture, or is this just normal with the higher oil content of heli fuel and don't worry about it as long as it continues to run great?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Raptor 60 Engine too rich?

One way I've done it (and many others) is to go fly and work it. hard pitch pumps, fast forward flight and such then land and put your finger on the back plate. If you can hold it there for a good 5-7 seconds it should be good. If you can hold it there till it gets dark, you might want to lean it out a bit...maybe 2 or 3 clicks at a time. Now this method is not scientific but it'll get you in the ball park. If you have a temperature gun, check the head temp and if you're in the 180-190 range you should be good. Some people are able to hear if it's running rich or lean, but I don't have that ability so I use the for-mentioned methods.

Heli fuels do have a higher oil content and you have to remember, unlike your planes, you're blowing your exhaust straight down. So if your hovering in your driveway it will get oily, but what you're describing does sound a little excessive...imo.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:56 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Raptor 60 Engine too rich?

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll run a few more tanks through it on the rich side and then try leaning it out. I'll go by temperature feel like you mentioned.