Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OS 50 SX Hyper

I went thru my OS 50 last week to make sure everything looked ok and clean it up, Well everything was good it didnt even have any brown spots on the piston or the bottom of the head, This engine has less then a gallon thru it.

Yesterday was the first day flying it since i went thru the engine, I was fling around 200 feet up, I come in closer to see how much fuel i have left and my main tank is almost empty, I get back into a hover about 50ft up and notice the sound of the engine starts to change, It starts losing power very slowly and i have to increase the throttle to keep it up so i start to bring it in as the engine gets slower and slower and finally dies at about 20ft up with my header tank still full, I did a baby auto to get back safely on the ground and i stick my finger on the back plate and its really hot, i couldnt touch it for even a sec, It was idling fine before i started fling with a few drops of oil driping from the pipe while i was hovering close to the ground before i went to far, plenty of smoke but my high needle was alittle to lean i'm guessing.

Anyways i pulled the engine back down again to make sure everything was ok, The piston has some browning and even after breaking the sleeve lose by sticking a cloth rag in the exhaust port i had to use alot of force to pull the sleeve out once it was high enough out of the block to grab it with my hand, The sleeve has some vertical score lines in it now, Anyways i took a few pictures with my iphone.

I'm going to use a break hone to cross hatch the sleeve tomorrow.

By looking at the pictures let me know if you think it just got alitte to hot or if it got really to hot ?

And is this what caused my slow power loss until it just quit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca80258.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	1820115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa84724.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1820116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz69869.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1820117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cw63016.jpg 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	1820118  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OS 50 SX Hyper

It got hot.

I would check the clunk lines in the tank.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't forget when the weather gets cooler you have more air coming in the engine and it'll lean it up a bit also. You have to tune for the season.
    mcpx; HK 500GT; Titan 50 SE; T-600 FBL; T-700 FBL
    40% Yak, F4U; P-47; JR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We think a lot alike becuz that was the first thing I did, I have the hays clunk line in the main and the header tank
    And that all checked out well.

I used a brake hone on the inside of the sleeve last night and got a good cross hatch, but when I went to put the sleeve back in it wouldn't go!!

So I took a handheld propane torch and heated the jug up for a sec and it slide back in
    If I ever have to take it back out I'll have to do the same thing becuz it's locked in again once it cooled.

Anyways it's all back together now and I have my factory compression back since its been cross hatched.

I'll try to fire it up sometime today and see what happens at the factory setting of 1.5 out on the high needle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Goggles

Don't forget when the weather gets cooler you have more air coming in the engine and it'll lean it up a bit also. You have to tune for the season.
    Yea I know, but it was 80 here on monday when it happened.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It definately leaned out. Airleak, muffler seal, carb seating, something caused it to go lean.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wish it was still 80 deg here. []
    mcpx; HK 500GT; Titan 50 SE; T-600 FBL; T-700 FBL
    40% Yak, F4U; P-47; JR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well i got it all back together, It wasnt really hurt but i honed the Cylinder out and replaced the Piston Ring just to be on the safe side.

I reset the carb back to factory and burned the first tank thru it today since i've put it all back together, I just hovered around being that the ring is new to give it time to seat in the cylinder.

After i ran that tank thru her i auto back down and checked the temp right below the head and the temp was 178 degree (The back of the head was 186 degrees) so everythings good, I'll lean her out a tad after a few more tanks