Notices

Raptor 30 V1 clutch fit's too tight after new clutch liner installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 V1 clutch fit's too tight after new clutch liner installed

I installed a new clutch liner on a Raptor 30 V1. After installing and fitting the motor back in the clutch was too tight inside the clutch housing and It's basicly grabbing all the time.. I colapsed the clutch before pushing it in the housing also. I used JB weld to install the liner.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Raptor 30 V1 clutch fit's too tight after new clutch liner installed

Well, collapsing the clutch doesn't do anything, if its sprung (the shoes aren't parallel with the body) then you need to replace it, or it will......wait for it.....drag and grab

Also, you should always take a clutch, wrap it with two layers of electrical tape, each piece butted end to end not overlapping, and place the clutch inside the bell while the liner is drying to get proper gap.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Raptor 30 V1 clutch fit's too tight after new clutch liner installed

As Andy said above, make sure you have a good clutch. After that, if it still grabs, then you have two options: Start over with a brand new liner, or grind the one you have now, until you get proper clearance.

Rafael
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Try taking some sand paper to the liner to open up the gap a little, evenly around the liner. Wrap some tape around the clutch as BH mentioned, sand it a little at a time till you can slide the clutch into the bell. What's the worse that can happen, you have to replace the liner? might have to do that anyway.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Basil Yousif

I like the electrical tape idea to push the liner into the bell wall while the glue is drying. Looking at it now I can see where it's a little out where the seam is. That's probably why I am having problems with the liners being eaten before they should be. On my Raptor 50 It also had the same problem but that was because the engine nut came loose and the clutch housing was going too far up into the bell. I'll grind the down a little with the Dremel. I am also going to remove the bell from the Heli from now on when putting in a liner.

Could the last clutch liner have been eaten to fast because I used 5 minute epoxy and not JB weld.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I use 30 minute epoxy. JBW is a pain in the ear to get cleaned up and you want the gluing surface clean so you don't get high spots.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Basil Yousif

More than likely it's the high spots are messing up the job and not the glue. But i'll switch to 30 minute epoxy.