Notices

Main Gear wearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 AM
sengli
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Main Gear wearing

I have had raptors for years. My old V1 never did this. I have a brand new titan, all stock and the pinion on the clutch bell, is wearing the main plastic gear. There is alot of white plastic dust on the pinion and frames. Since there are no adjustments on the engine mount. What can be the issue?

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64541.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1875119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34564.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1875120  
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Main Gear wearing

Just curious, but you didn't mix and match main and pinions?

There's two gear ratios for the titan, the stock and the upgrade, if you change to the upgraded main you have to change the pinion.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM
sengli

No, I built it from a kit with the supplied parts. Just to make sure I counted teeth. Its a 10 tooth pinion, and a 85 tooth main gear. Although the blade holders from this kit were not the correct ones(bearings too large) tower replaced at no charge. Honestly I have two of these newer titans, one new from kit and one used... and they both have this same exact issue. I know on the used titan heli, it looks like the six mount screw holes in the frame for the engine mount have been" rounded" out. Which allowed me to angle the pinion away from the main which solved it on that unit. Obviously what needs to happen is the pinion is too tight, against the main gear.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time that my pinion starts to eat up the main gear on my Raptor 50 is when I need to replace the pinion anyway because it is starting to wear out inside the bearing that supports it. But that is after a few seasons flying. I have not seen it like that before. Are you sure you have the correct bearings in the pinion / start shaft assembly?

Rafael
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM
sengli

When I assembled it, the bearings on the shaft/ starter seemed like they fit snugly enough. And obviously they fit into the recessed areas in the frame O.K. Thats why this is so out of the ordinary for these. Like I said I have had a raptor 50 for years. Never saw anything like this ever on my other v1, and v2 series. If you spin the main gear by hand it moves without any hitches or hesitation. Its seems to move very smoothly. Plus if you look at the teeth on the main gear, the top edge is where the wear is occuring, like the engine is tipping into the top of that gear under load.

I just got an email from hobbico, saying they would replace the main gear. My only issue is the gear couldnt be the root cause. Something else is causing this.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM
123Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The top of the pinion teeth look very sharp is that normal

, is your pinion bearing OK
Old 04-28-2013, 06:21 PM
sengli

I recieved a replacement main gear from hobbico today, along with a note. The note states there were a certain number of the kits released that had soft main gears, so they wore pre-maturely. I havent flown the heli since last week, and obviously I will have tear it down to replace the gear. So I guess I will just have see if this fixes it.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM
gio
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same case for me here.
I have the raptor 50 titan se, its doing the same thing as in the picture above.
In my case I ate up 3 main gears, I also installed a new pion but the same hapend, I since then didn't fly it anymore.
I was planing to buy a new frame set to see if that will fix the problem but I left it sitting and went over flying my R30.
Gio.