Notices

My Raptor Glitches Horribly????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 02:37 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Raptor Glitches Horribly????

I just put the 29bb kit together using brand new everything. Engine, radio, gyro, etc. Radio is a Hitec eclipse. I took it to the field yesterday to have a veteran test fly it and the servos glitch horribly. All of them at the same time. I re-routed the antenna, changed crystals, and did just about everything I could to solve the problem but it still glitches. Engine running or not. The strange thing is, my roomate has another Raptor he was test flying and his glitches badly also. I later flew my planes with the same radio and had no problems.

Anyone guess why I'm getting these glitches? It happened at home, at the field and my parents house so far so I know it isn't dirty airwaves.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

What servos , Rec etc.. are you using PCM or PPM? I hade the same problem along time ago, the problem was cheap servos (cirrus) they could not handle vibration , I sent them all back and put Futaba 9202 servos.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:11 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

I'm using an FM system with Hitec 425bbs, and one 5645 digital. The weird thing is, it does it with the engine off so the vibes couldn't be it. I've looked for metal to metal contact and couldn't find any.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Furyflyer2

Originally posted by Sawyer692
I'm using an FM system with Hitec 425bbs, and one 5645 digital. The weird thing is, it does it with the engine off so the vibes couldn't be it. I've looked for metal to metal contact and couldn't find any.
How is the range check ? How do you know the crystal is good? Make sure the radio is in FM mode not PCM.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

Range check was about 100 feet with antenna collapsed, I use ch 38 so I switched both Tx and Rx to ch 27 with the same results. The Eclipse is FM capable only. I really think it is metal to metal somewhere. I had excessive gap between the cluch and clutch bell and suspected maybe static electricity so I changed to a thicker liner...didn't help.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Furyflyer2

I have'nt experienced nor known anyone else with the problem your describing with the raptor. One more thing to check and or change ,your switch for the receiver that can introduce noise in the system. Try also taking out all radio equipment put it on the bench and see what it does , you may have a bad receiver. Post a pic of your installation if you can.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:33 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

will do, Thanks
Old 07-29-2002, 03:56 PM
aashu

Default Yep !

Like FF2 said..

One more thing to check and or change ,your switch for the receiver that can introduce noise in the system

Were you using a different switch harness when flying the plane with this radio/receiver..? It could be the switch itself .. You can test check by by-passing the switch and connecting battery directly to the receiver (make sure using right polarity) Also , did you try disconnecting each servo from receiver one at a time .. that might help
Old 07-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

Great, I will try that. I'm going to post some pics soon hoping you can tell me if something jumps out at you.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:25 PM
jctpro
My Feedback: (1)

I had glitching problems on my Raptor that drove me crazy along with 3 crashes. I finally tracked it down to a bad gyro. Try running without the gyro and see if the glitching stops.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:48 PM
Furyflyer2

You reminded me , If you use a extension on the gyro servo it will cause interference.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:23 PM
Scotty740

I'm running 3 gyros with extensions on the servo lead with no problem so that isn't always the case.

I'd start by disconnecting the gyro then one servo at a time till the glitching goes away.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:32 PM
Furyflyer2

Originally posted by Scotty740
I'm running 3 gyros with extensions on the servo lead with no problem so that isn't always the case.

I'd start by disconnecting the gyro then one servo at a time till the glitching goes away.
I had a Raptor with the GY401 gyro mounted in the back and I used a servo extension , and the servo's would glitch like crazy with engine off until I removed the ext once I did that all was well That's one reason why the new JR gyro has a 4th wire to eliminate radio interference and noise. So it can amplify radio noise. Futaba does'nt recommend using ext with the use of the gyro and the rec has to be as far away from the antenna as possible.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:41 PM
Furyflyer2

What Gyro are you using?
Old 07-29-2002, 05:52 PM
Scotty740

I didn't say it wouldn't cause problems just that it doesn't in my case.

I use CSM 540 gyros in everything I have. On my TSKs I have the gyro up front and an extension to the tail servo and on my Raptors I have the gyro in back with an extension up to the receiver and haven't had any glitching problems at all. I'm using all JR equipment PCM.

I did have a receiver once that had the antenna wire broken inside the insulation near the receiver. That was causing lockouts every now and then in a hover until I found it. I think the wire was making and breaking contact.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:05 PM
Furyflyer2

I was using a Futaba gyro , I used ext when I use to use the CSM and had no problem but with the futaba you have to be careful. I too was using a JR radio with PCM and I had the glitching with that set-up.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:14 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19479_4404.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	12242  
Old 07-30-2002, 07:17 PM
Furyflyer2

Did you unplug the servos one at a time?
Old 07-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

I do have a servo extension wire going from the reciever to the gyro. I removed it but the gyro's wires just aren't long enough to reach so I hope that is not the problem. I ran out of time and didn't get to remove the servo wires. I'll try that and also try flying it without the gyro and see what happens.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:04 PM
shan

Default twitchy

I just went through this exact same problem with my rap 30. After I eliminated everything else I found that the screw holding the tail boom supports to the tail boom were too long and were creating radio interfeirence by rubbing the boom. I simply put a washer on the screw and the problem was gone. My buddy had a simular problem and come to find out his was the switch. I would be willing to bet that your problem is the screw in the boom.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:24 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

I'll check on that too. Shan- Did your heli glitch while running or shut down or both?
Old 07-30-2002, 10:41 PM
shan

My heli would act just fine until it hovered for a minute or two. From that point on it would glitch until I let the blades slow way down then it would stop. As soon as the blades were back up to hover speed it would start all over again. I took the boom supports off at the boom and slid the horizontal stab forward and could see the shinny metal on the boom were the screw had been scratching. Is this what yours is doing?
Old 07-31-2002, 02:44 AM
RcNorth

Check all the ball links to see how much tension there is, they may be too tight causing a bit of binding.

Take each ball link and give it a squeeze with a pair of pliers to oblong the opening. This will give it more play. Be careful not to squeeze too hard as the link may slip off the ball and break the link, don't ask my how I know this BG?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:36 AM
pietermx

Default Re: My Raptor Glitches Horribly????

Originally posted by Sawyer692
Anyone guess why I'm getting these glitches? It happened at home, at the field and my parents house so far so I know it isn't dirty airwaves.
Connect your tail boom to the engine frame. There might be electrostatic sparks between the tail boom (which became electrostatic because of the drive belt) and the engine frame which will disturb the receiver / gyro. Also make sure the drive belt is mounted tight.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:19 AM
manilaheli

I saw your pics that you are also using the stock muffler which is similar to the hirobo POS. Try removing the muffler from the engine and see if it alleviates the problem. The muffler's fore and aft section may be loose which is causing the RF problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.