Search
Notices

Lesson Learned!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 01:41 AM
rlmarch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lesson Learned!

I was flying my 20th flight on my raptor 50v2. Doing circles and figuire 8's. I was flying straight at about 30' when it just turned on it side and crashed. Not to bad of damage. Broken skids, bent spindle and slightly bent the tail boom. When I got looking at it I found a screw backed out of the mixing lever. I think I'm going to get a metal washout assembly so I can locktite it. But it never would of happened if I checked all nuts and bolts.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:19 AM
WhtBronco

Default RE: Lesson Learned!

Yeah I go over my R50 V2 for about an hour after everyday at the field. I also find something loose or that needs attention everytime. Once just so happened to be a stripped washout arm screw. I got a metal washout assembly, the TT version, and had to modify it to get the parts to fit together. I was most unimpressed. The levers that are pinned to the washout arms had to be filed to make the opening a bit larger and the holes for the pins in the arms had to drilled so the pins would fit through. After all the mods I got locktite in the bearings and ended up using the metal hub and the stock plastic arms. I got new bearings for the metal arms, but still have'nt swapped them out. They was so frustrated with the arms I may not even use the metal arms.

Upgrade parts from the manufacturer IMO should need to be heavily modified to work properly.

Another thing you can consider is a small drop of thin CA glue to hold the screw in the stock washout hub if it's not stripped out.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:34 PM
rlmarch

Last night I put it back together and found that it was stripped out too. So no flying today. I tried some thick ca glue in it. But than decided it's not worth a crash again. So tommorrow I will see if I can pick one up at LHS. Hopefully they make some after market metal washout assemblies other than TT. Otherwise have to do what chris did.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:07 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I took my new Uproar and my old Raptor 30 out to the field on Friday. Uproar: went to take off and noticed the aileron horn was off and the rod was dragging. No flying with this one...
Raptor 30: Was tinkering with the throttle and noticed the engine was moving up and down. Turns out on the engine mount bolts 2 were gone and a 3rd was half way out. Guess I aint flying today [&o]

Pre flight and post flight inspection pays off in the long run!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:46 PM
efergie72
My Feedback: (1)

I like to think that I take good care and maintain my fleet, whether it be planks or heli's. But I know that I am not as diligent as I should be and it is good to here that other guys find whole bolts missing. I once got airborn with my fairly new Sig SE and got about two minutes into the flight when I noticed that it looked as though it grown a tuned pipe! Turns out that two of the three bolts holding the landing gear in had fallen out so the gear had turned 90 degrees. Landed all right, bent the gear just a touch, glad that thing harriers alright. But I just didn't check my nutz like I knew I should have.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Heliproz sells an upgrade line for the Raptors called Maverikk and they are as good as or better than the TT upgrades at half the cost.

http://www.heliproz.com

No troubles with mine. I bought the Veloci Raptor from there with the upgraded flybar control, metal washout, metal tail bling and carbon blades. The only gripe I have about the Maverikk parts is that they don't come with directions or exploded views so figureing them out can be a pain but other than that I haven't had any problems.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Abraxxas

I got the full Mav metal head, arms, swash, flybar stuff and everything that comes with the Velociraptor kit and found them to go together very nicely, fit tight and work great... although being my first heli assembly I agree with the need for exploded views and instructions as I did a lot of "Ah... where the #*@# is this supposed to go..." ROFL!!

Brian
Old 04-16-2005, 08:23 PM
WhtBronco

So with all the upgrade parts did you notice any difference in the flying characteristics?