Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thats Sucks.

HEHEHEH
Old 09-24-2002, 01:21 AM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

Default raptor 50 exploded !!!!

I did to slow the pir., but after all this happening at a blinding rate of speed my wife said I was leaning over looking at the position of the heli. I got it down in 1 piece nothing dented nor broke TG. Dang Luck was all it was..
Old 09-24-2002, 03:14 AM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by twguns
I'm curious as to what you expect TT/Ace to do about your incident???
nothing
Old 09-24-2002, 03:22 AM
flmgrip

Default Re: grip

Originally posted by Boomstriker
So you admit to crashing with this grip more than once!!

You used it anyway when a new set is $10 at any shop and "money is no object"!!

Now you get on-line and bash TT like it's their fault!!

Count your blessings and quit your *****'n.

(Just how did you inspect for internal hair-line cracks?)
so after every crash i should by a new helicopter ?
one bad auto and one bad emergency auto does not define a crash in my perspective...

i don't bash TT, yes i believe it was a bad grip from TT, but i still fly two TT helis a R50 and R60 and i absolutely think they are decent heli's for the money.

who's *****in' ? i am just telling what happened to me, for others to see, to learn from it or just as info...

(Just how did you inspect for internal hair-line cracks?)

now if you really think two bad auto's justify a new blade grip (and pretty much everything else to be replaced as well in the heli, since you never know what could have a hairline crack) than a) a lot of heli flyer's would be bankrupt by now b) i would not be in this hobby.
i am suer if i would call TT and ask if i should replace the holders (and everything else in the heli) they would say no...
Old 09-24-2002, 03:30 AM
flmgrip

He has crashed it a couple times, upgrades parts.

the grip flys off.

He emails TT about it. and whines he wont spend any more money cause he had a mishap, no doubt to a bad inspection regimen. Cause I never heard of this problem, it aint a 8411 servo.
who whines ? (see above post) and what do you know about my inspection regimen and now you've heard of it... and sure has nothing to do with a 8411...

Damn, that means I should have two new vigors from JR, one new freya from hirobo, and countless free parts from all my crashes. I have some emails to write.
you better start writing (all those above mentioned heli's crashed because of a blade grip failing ??)

Do you check your rotor rpm, how do you check and what made you sure you were at 1750. I think it may have been alot higher than that
as mentioned before i use a governor

Sorry bout the crash though.
thanks...
Old 09-24-2002, 03:32 AM
flmgrip

Originally posted by Culverson
Sorry for your loss , I almost lost my wife's ZXX yesterday while she was training with me. She said "my gyros not holding correctly you fly it" in mid air so I took over.

I had to input full right rudder to keep it straight. And it began doing fast Pir. At first it was fine then it lost the tail authority totally. I got it down quickly but with a lot of corrections it was still not even with the ground so I fought it down after about 30 or so spins I made it . Everything in the tail components are upgrades.

I completely tore down the metal upgrades, and found the output shaft pulley (Blue upgrade) was turning on the output shaft. It sheered the setscrew completely in two (first time for everything). I had a Quick Tail Pulley & new shaft readily available for replacement.

The screw was still tight as well-unusual
Hope everything turns out ok for you..
sorry to hear that.... maybe i should go back to all plastic ...
and it's all good on my side...
Old 09-24-2002, 05:46 AM
clive45

If the Raptor's are so dam good, why are the forums full of threads with people having problems.
Nobody has fixed the woof and poof yet, although many have tried.
It seems that when new most Raptors fly well , until a little play developes and then it is all over.
I fly TSK's and Jr Voyager's and have no problems. The Raptor flew twice before it decided that it had did not want to fly properly.
We call them CRAPTORS down here. It's no wonder the parts are cheap, they need to be so you can afford to replace them all the time.
So save time ,money and a heap of fraustration and buy something decent. It does not have to cost you much more, but you will be a happy flier.
Also you can get help from the other manufacturers unlike TT.
I saw somewhere that the CEO of TT wrote a letter apolagising for the bad service and saying that TT was not packing up its operation. They were just having trouble after the move.
That does not wash with me, I think that they just don't give a dam.

FLY SAFE AND ENJOY
Old 09-24-2002, 11:42 AM
Vance

Clive45- It'sjust a numbers thing. There have been so many raptors sold that the number of problem posts you are seeing is still less than JR's- percentage wise.
Every heli has issues and with the Raptor it is compounded because newbies are the ones buying and building them so there are going to be more problems reported because the newbie will do something wrong and crash and then blame the heli instead of himself.
TSK's were great heli's I had one myself- sorry to see them go.
Voyagers on the other hand- well JR can keep them in my opinion. The voyager 50 is a good flyer but for the money that they charge for it you would think that they could use something a little bigger than a 2mm bolt to hold the TR bellcrank. And having bushings in the washout on a heli that costs this much is a slap in the face to the consumer. JR had good success with the Ergo line of helis because of all the upgrades that were sold for them but now people are a little more thrifty and don't want a heli that they have to buy bearings for that they initially have to pay an above average amount for.
If TSK or JR sold as many helis as the raptor then you would see just as many posts about problems with those two brands.
Just my opinion
Vince D
Old 09-24-2002, 12:26 PM
Bluto

Vance, very well said, the only problem is that for some Raptor bashing is their favorite past time. Just for the record I have 3 Raptors and they fly great, no woof's no wha wha's no wobbles shakes or vibes. They just fly and fly very good!
Old 09-24-2002, 12:39 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Sounds like a Raptor/Microsoft thing.

It's just fun to bash succesful things I guess.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:54 PM
Hitch-Hiker

Originally posted by clive45
If the Raptor's are so dam good, why are the forums full of threads with people having problems.
Vance is right on the money here. Un-official raptor 30s sold are about 10,000 kits!

Nobody has fixed the woof and poof yet, although many have tried. It seems that when new most Raptors fly well , until a little play developes and then it is all over.
I have about 50 gallons through my R50 with a stock head that was on my origional R30. I have never had it "woof" on me. I believe there are many possible caused for woof. I have seen just about every brand of heli develope some sort of woof with blades. This is not just a Raptor problem.

I fly TSK's and Jr Voyager's and have no problems. The Raptor flew twice before it decided that it had did not want to fly properly.
2 Flights on any machine is not really a fair chance.

We call them CRAPTORS down here. It's no wonder the parts are cheap, they need to be so you can afford to replace them all the time. So save time ,money and a heap of fraustration and buy something decent. It does not have to cost you much more, but you will be a happy flier.
again, 2 flights on any machine is not really a fair chance.

Also you can get help from the other manufacturers unlike TT. I saw somewhere that the CEO of TT wrote a letter apolagising for the bad service and saying that TT was not packing up its operation. They were just having trouble after the move. That does not wash with me, I think that they just don't give a dam.
TT may not be the greatest with "help" but they are definately not the worst. It would also depend on how far you look for help / advice. On the ace website, there is a list of field reps with phone numbers and e-mail addresses. I know most of them, and they offer a great deal of help! The mentioned letter was to Aces dealers telling of a new shipping method and how they are improving the situation since the move. I think that shows that they do give a dam.

Flmgrip,
Sorry for the loss. I can understand you frustration. Send me a PM if you wish to discuss this any more.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:59 AM
ottorotation

Hey Dietmar, sorry to hear about thr Rap 50. Just a reminder that using metal blade grips with an upgraded metal flybar control adapter is a no no. You will get metal to metal contact. Mine showed wear after a few flights, and am lucky I didn't get receiver noise from it.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:59 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

flmgrip, dont even listen to some of the negative responses you are getting here on this post, you are being very informative on your loss, and TT is not the best when it comes to service, thats too bad. But what you are doing is what should be done on these forums by informing others of possible problems.

I assure you if these problems happened to them they would be as upset as you, and expect some kinda response from TT. I wonder how many of those negative posters went back and looked at there blade grips for flaws because of this post, probably all of them. I have never seen a post where people put words in your mouth for the benefit of their post, get real.

Personally, I dont fly Raptors, and probably never will but the guys that do should be more open minded when reading these kind of posts, and not think everyone is trying to get something for free, rather benefit form your bad experience, and weaknesses in that ship. Daz...
Old 09-27-2002, 03:41 PM
Ergo60
My Feedback: (1)

JR had good success with the Ergo line of helis because of all the upgrades that were sold for them
I think they had good luck with them because they just plain flew great right out of the box. I started in Helicopters 5 years ago, and I went with the Ergo 30 back then. I am still flying the Ergo line because it has given me absolutely no reason to switch. None at all. The helicopter flies great, nothing more to it than that. It is not brand loyality, since I use Futaba radio gear. It is just the plain fact the the Ergo60 sport will fly great in stock form as long as you own it. The guy who trained me bought his first Ergo60 SPort back when he trained me on my 30, and he is still flying the same one with only changing the blades, and moving up to a 91 engine. Everything else is bone stock from the day it came out of the box, and it flies everytime with no problems.

Parts are available at any time, and I have NEVER had to wait longer than UPS could ship them. Horizon keeps great stock, and their people are a pleasure to deal with, I do most all my business with a mail order helicopter shop, but I have talked to Horizon on a few occasions and it was a very pleasent experience.

I have never had a part fail on mine. I have worn out a few tail belts and crashed a few times, but never from a problem with the helicopter itself. That is why people who actually fly them like them so much.

I respect thoes who choose to fly the raptor and stick by them with such vigor, but lets all be honest here, they have problems, and you do get what you pay for. Period, no exceptions. Even with the Venture, you get what you pay for. It is a cheap entry level helicopter that may or may not hold up very well. And that is comming from a real JR helicopter fan. We have one at the field right now, and while it flies nice for the money, it doesnt hold a light to the Ergo line, or any other high end helicopter.

Bottom line is this: I will not change until JR gives me a reeason to change.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:25 PM
Vance

So you(or 60 guy) didn't install ball bearings in the start shaft area? You must like hearing that squeal as the bushings wear out. You didn't need the high cyclic hub to get 3D pitch ranges? Your bushings in the pitch rocker assembly didn't develop slop?
The only thing that matters is that you are happy with it.
There are no perfect helis out there and what is an important issue with one will be insignificant to another. I like the fact that I can drop my engine with the pipe attached from my Raptor 50 with only loosening four bolts. I really hated that I had to remember to install the lower muffler bolt on the ergo and hawk helis while installing the motor. That's just my opinion but it was important to me, others don't mind it.
There are better choices out there in all classes as this is why the ergo line is being discontinued. Stacked metal frames are out, composites are in.
My opinion only
Vince D
Old 09-27-2002, 04:38 PM
Chopper

There was another guy that said his Fury exploded and he wanted the manufacturer to buy him a new heli as well.

I doesn't matter what the heli is. Under "normal" circumstances, most of the parts an any of the modern helis do not fail. If allowed to exceed the RPM, run without maintenance, run beyond the life expectancy, re-use after crashes, etc; stuff is gonna' break.
The trick is to know when, and to catch it before it does. I'm not always successful. In the "early " days of helis, we would sing the praises of a heli that did NOT break. We expected it to break. Mike Maas used to say that it was a 4 to 1 ratio: 4 hours maintenance for 1 hour of flying. It was true.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

Ergo60,
Do you use JR 8411 servos?
Old 09-27-2002, 08:02 PM
RS2K

Default Ouch!

Originally posted by Synthetic
Ergo60,
I felt that! :surprised

LOL, I have a Raptor 50 and everything I have is Futaba, ECXEPT for my 8411 on collective. I thought I'd give JR a try.... I think I'm going to stick with Futaba from now on.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:57 PM
Ergo60

Nope, like I said in my post I use JR helicopters, but ALL my electronics are Futaba. Plain old 9202's , but with the JR support arms, Futaba 9Z radio, PCM RX-Futaba of course, and the GY401-Futaba again. Like I said. I dont care who makes it. I use what works, and if it doesnt work I dont use it again. I tried the helimax gyro ONCE, and only once, I tried the Hobico serovs ONCE. I tried the PZ200 gyro ONCE. get my drift.

So you(or 60 guy) didn't install ball bearings in the start shaft area? You must like hearing that squeal as the bushings wear out
No the 60 Sport comes with bearings in the start shaft area. ONly the Ergo 30 came with bushings, and mine lasted the whole time I was learning. When it wore out(1 year later) I replaced it with a bearing since it was the same price.

You didn't need the high cyclic hub to get 3D pitch ranges?
No, I get the amount of pitch that I like to fly with. I am a sport flyer right now, and I am getting -5 to +10 with room left over for later if I decide to step into the 3d Arena. Dont get me rong I respect the people that can do 3D, I am just not ready for it yet.

Your bushings in the pitch rocker assembly didn't develop slop?
Yes, there is some slop, but I am a great flyer so I can deal with it. I hear all the time about how much money some people spend to eliminate all slop in the control system, but in reality when the rotor is up and spinning there is enough force to cancel out most slop. I can hover my helicopter with little to no extra stick movement on my part, and I can keep her straight and level in FF. It tracks through loops as good as I tell her to. A certain amount of slop will always be present, and I have been able to compensate for it. When it gets really bad I will of course change it out.

I really hated that I had to remember to install the lower muffler bolt on the ergo and hawk helis while installing the motor
I cant speak for the hawk, but on theErgo 60 with the OS 61, and the YS61 I can install the lower muffler bolt after it is installed in the helicopter. And since I rarely have to drop the engine(Clutch lasts forever, and no shims or other things needed) It is really not a big deal.

Next.......
Old 09-28-2002, 08:38 AM
flmgrip

Originally posted by Chopper
There was another guy that said his Fury exploded and he wanted the manufacturer to buy him a new heli as well.

I doesn't matter what the heli is. Under "normal" circumstances, most of the parts an any of the modern helis do not fail. If allowed to exceed the RPM, run without maintenance, run beyond the life expectancy, re-use after crashes, etc; stuff is gonna' break.
The trick is to know when, and to catch it before it does. I'm not always successful. In the "early " days of helis, we would sing the praises of a heli that did NOT break. We expected it to break. Mike Maas used to say that it was a 4 to 1 ratio: 4 hours maintenance for 1 hour of flying. It was true.
so are you saying i am not doing good maintenance?
1750-1900 RPM (controlled by governor) is too much?
4 months old is to old?
to bad autos are crashes?
etc... nothing should break... you can't catch a hairline crack or weak plastic... period... you can look at it for as long as you want to... it's the manufactures responsibility to ensure proper quality...
this is not the past, it is 2002 (which car does NOT have airbags ?)... a blade holder should not brake IN flight... period...

and kids, stop fighting which heli or servo or brand is better...

DAZZLER, very well said, but if the badmouthing and fouling doesn't stop, this place might easily become an other runryder... would be to bad...

OTTOROTATION, thanks for your condolences... i am using a different flybar control adapter (from quick) but i will have a very close eye on it...

HITCH-HIKER, i will PM you when i have some more time...

cheers
Old 09-28-2002, 05:39 PM
Ergo60

and kids, stop fighting which heli or servo or brand is better...
But Dad. He started it
Old 09-28-2002, 09:31 PM
RS2K

Originally posted by Ergo60
But Dad. He started it
MMMMMOOOOOOOOMMMMMM HE TOUCHED ME!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 12:02 AM
Ergo60

If you dont stop it....I'm gonna tell.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:16 AM
=XGC= OzZ

Default If you both do not stop.

I will give you both a time out ....

You know if I get like this you both are going to were this . Now play nice.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:01 AM
Father Sarducci

DAZZLER, very well said, but if the badmouthing and fouling doesn't stop, this place might easily become an other runryder... would be to bad...
It seems to me that RR is getting too much like TV wrestling. If somebody doesn't like your opinion they attach the person instead of the theory.

I am pleased to see there is a place one can express themself and not be bashed personally.

To the originator of this post, Thank you. I appreciate you sharing this matter with me. Is there a recommended way to test the grips? I would be interested in hearing what the experts say should be done to ensure they are safe.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.