Notices

Stuck 50V2 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 01:02 AM
DrGsi
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck 50V2 clutch

AFter I replaced my Clutch with a new OEM TT clutch shoe (first one broke off ) and 10 flights into it, I get the new clutch engaging at very low RPM and if I have to decrease the idle , the engine cannot sustain the low rpm and shuts off; It will not disengage even at very low RPM but disengages when engine is OFF.
I took the Engine out and the clutch looks OK , no breaks or cracks ? Any one had this problem ; and what is the remedy other than replacing it ?; I do not want to thin out my clutch lining (looks stilll good) ; I am running my Head RPM at 1900 in idle 1 and 1650 in Normal mode ! That should not be a problem !
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts
Default RE: Stuck 50V2 clutch

Sounds like you don't have enough clearence between your clutch and liner.

Wrap one wrap of electrical tape around the clutch. Butted end to end, not overlapping and see if you can reinstall the engine. If its too tight to get back up there either the new clutch is sprung or your liner has high spots in it. This is how I install new liners, glue them in, put the tape on and install the engine. Always gets the clearence perfect.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look close at the clutch itself and make sure it doesn't have a crack on one of the arms off the end of the round drilled holes. I had that and it made the clutch grab. Decided not to screw around with a new one trying to get it right, so I ordered a new TT clutch and bell that had the liner in it already. Was easier than all the problems I have seen people having and didn't cost much more.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Tomi
My Feedback: (4)

Might be the clutch or it might not be the clutch.

"From how mine runs"
We dont' know how "low" your idle is and how rich your needle setting is. Mine won't engage at low idle but will not idle unles I let the engine get warm. So when I first start it up for the day, I usually hold the head and give it some throttle. Just a tad bit to where the clutch is trying to spin the blades. The clutch rubbing the liner won't be a prob becuase it's not at high rpm. After it's warm it will idle low enough that the clutch doesn't engage. You can let it engage, run warm up the heli by flying it or hover it then bring it down and adjust it's idle. If it idles and doesn't engage, u'r good for. it's only because you are rich and because its rich, it won't stay idled.

But check closely on your clutch parts first. Make sure everything on there is not damaged at any way. I cannot tell you what specific thing to look for because this is actually my first glow heli and I haven't had a problem with the clutch assembly since the first run up. 1 month.

Good luck.

-Tomi
Old 06-09-2005, 06:13 AM
DrGsi
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for everyone,

The clutch had a very fine crack at one side of the two holes (appeared when I bent one of the shoes out gently by hand) in the clutch ; guess causing the clutch to get sprung at loe RPM.
I will replace it.