Search
Notices

Considering the Raptor 30 V2 ARF…Just a Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
HavingFun2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering the Raptor 30 V2 ARF…Just a Few Questions

I purchased a used V1 a year or so a go, mostly as a learning heli. It’s been great, but it’s pretty old and beat up, thus I was thinking of going to a V2.

How pre-built does the ARF come? I was thinking about something where I just installed the radio gear, perhaps put some larger parts together.

Should I get the motor they bundle in with the Raptor, or something different? Looks like you can purchase them with, or without an engine.

Who has the best price and support on the V2?

Also, where can I buy those very cool canopy with the Raptor face? Bling…

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:21 AM
jez33

Default RE: Considering the Raptor 30 V2 ARF…Just a Few Questions

shame you dont live in uk as i can supply all the raptors...

the v2 is a better heli for sure but i flew both v1 and v2 and think if your staying standard then you will perhaps notice only a small improvement in its flying but saying that some of the improvements were also to give it more reliability like for instance its clutch but there is other improvements too...

if i were you though i wouldnt bother with another 30 because you already own one so i would perhaps get a few upgrades for the 30 but definitely buy a v2 50 or 60 raptor instead of another 30..

the tt engines are acturly now much better then when the 1st raptor came out...i had a tt 36 in my raptor v1 and this was a terrible engine..but i still have a v2 raptor 30 with the newer 39 tt engine and i am so much happier wth this engine. it definitely has more power then the os 32 but ive yet to compare it with an os 37..
the os though properly is a friendlier engine for a beginner but if you have some experience with heli engines then id say a tt engine is fine..if you were to choose a 50 then i would still recommend an os 50 but i dont think there is much in it ..
Old 03-13-2006, 09:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

http://www.heliproz.com has combo deals on Raptors.

Stay away from the ARFs, you never know if the guy putting it together at 2am, that doesn't fly helis, used locktite on something important, if you have some experience with a 30 you can put a 50 or a 30 v2 kit together in a weekend and you will know its done right.

Stick with the OS engines.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:29 AM
HavingFun2002

What are the main differences between the ARFs and the Kits?

ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

http://www.heliproz.com has combo deals on Raptors.

Stay away from the ARFs, you never know if the guy putting it together at 2am, that doesn't fly helis, used locktite on something important, if you have some experience with a 30 you can put a 50 or a 30 v2 kit together in a weekend and you will know its done right.

Stick with the OS engines.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:49 AM
BarracudaHockey

The ARF has the head, swash, tail and frames assembled, you put the blades on, plug in the boom, bolt on the skids and install the radio gear.

In a kit you get a bag of parts. Read Raptor Technique, it details the build job. I can put one together in a day. It really pays to assemble it yourself, you know its done right and you know how to fix it when you tear it up. I ended up with a couple arfs to build for people, I strip them down to the frames and start over, you would be surprised what isn't up to my standards for building.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:03 AM
HavingFun2002

Yep. I built my Trex from a bag of parts, it's was good to understand how everything fit together. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

The ARF has the head, swash, tail and frames assembled, you put the blades on, plug in the boom, bolt on the skids and install the radio gear.

In a kit you get a bag of parts. Read Raptor Technique, it details the build job. I can put one together in a day. It really pays to assemble it yourself, you know its done right and you know how to fix it when you tear it up. I ended up with a couple arfs to build for people, I strip them down to the frames and start over, you would be surprised what isn't up to my standards for building.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:18 AM
BarracudaHockey

The Raptor is alot easier to build than a Rex. You can actually find the screws when you drop them for one thing.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:55 PM
jez33

yes go with the kit version as the artf can have faults..they are a doddle to put together too ive done a few for my self and other pilots.each time it was a breeze
Old 03-13-2006, 01:16 PM
HighRPM

I purchase the Raptor 30V.2 ARF, this was my first heli. I have always purchased ARF's for my planes as well. I always look things over to make sure no obvious mistakes are present. I agree a heli is much more complicated than a plane, but for me flying time is hard to come by so building would be even harder. I just wanted to be in the air as soon a possible. By the time you get your radio set up and read this forum and Raptortechniques you will have a very good understanding of the bird. Just my .02.

Raptor 30v.2
OS 37
Futaba 9Cap

About 2 gallons burned and lovin it....
Old 03-13-2006, 01:30 PM
HavingFun2002

Did you go with the TT motor, or the OS 37 (looks like the 37, just want to be sure). Did you purchase the engine seperate, or as part of a bundle? Also, from whom?

Thanks!

ORIGINAL: HighRPM

I purchase the Raptor 30V.2 ARF, this was my first heli. I have always purchased ARF's for my planes as well. I always look things over to make sure no obvious mistakes are present. I agree a heli is much more complicated than a plane, but for me flying time is hard to come by so building would be even harder. I just wanted to be in the air as soon a possible. By the time you get your radio set up and read this forum and Raptortechniques you will have a very good understanding of the bird. Just my .02.

Raptor 30v.2
OS 37
Futaba 9Cap

About 2 gallons burned and lovin it....
Old 03-13-2006, 02:11 PM
chickenx5

I got the raptor 30 V2 ARF and I love it. The engine is very good ( many people don’t like the TT39 ) because a lot of them don’t work as good as others. All you have to assemble is the tail boom, that is what I remember, Its simple just slide it in and your ready, and you gotta put all of your electronics in there of course
Old 03-13-2006, 02:15 PM
HavingFun2002

I think I may go that way, considering time and skill level. Who did you purchase your Raptor ARF from? Is the engine installed when you get it?

ORIGINAL: chickenx5

I got the raptor 30 V2 ARF and I love it. The engine is very good ( many people don’t like the TT39 ) because a lot of them don’t work as good as others. All you have to assemble is the tail boom, that is what I remember, Its simple just slide it in and your ready, and you gotta put all of your electronics in there of course
Old 03-13-2006, 03:15 PM
jez33

ORIGINAL: chickenx5

I got the raptor 30 V2 ARF and I love it. The engine is very good ( many people don’t like the TT39 ) because a lot of them don’t work as good as others

im with you there mate. others recommend os engines only but they often havnt had much experience with the new improved tt engines or they run the engines to week and kill the bearings and then they blame the engine. admit idly the 1st generation of tt engines ( heli or plane engine ) were in need of a lot to be desired but i have os and tt still but find the os and tt perform as reliably as each other..

mind you the best ever engine i had ( and i stupidly sold with my other heli [:@] was an irvine 39... they were just unbeatable in power and reliability..i would even choose it over the os 37
Old 03-13-2006, 03:44 PM
HighRPM

Purchased the OS .37 seperate, got both from my local Hobby Shop.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:44 PM
BarracudaHockey

I've helped and trained alot of people. Most OS engines (not all but in the high 90 percent) run reliably. TT engines are more hit and miss, even the new ones. OS run more consistent with less twiddleing from day to day and have a wider range of tuning that they run well in, they also don't produce the power of the OS's. They also don't use as much fuel as the OS's. Seems to me when somone spends a day tinkering with an engine instead of flying its either not an OS or is an issue not directly related to the engine.

Get whatever your wallet is comfortable with, but I'm relaying my personal experience, not what I've heard or read.

Heliproz is probably the best in the Raptor business. http://www.heliproz.com if you don't see exactly what you want on their site, give them a toll free call, they will talk your ears off about helis. The thing I like most is everyone that picks up the phone there flys helicopters.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:57 PM
chickenx5

I got it from a hobby shop in califnornia, and yes the engine was installed. If its not its about the easiest thing to do. Just put it into its spot and put in 4 screws
Old 03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
jez33

if you mean that the os 32 is more powerful then the tt39 then i definatly disagree with you about the power issue ...the 32 engine definitely is not as powerful as the 39 tt im 100 percent on that. ive not had it up against a 37 os though yet....the 50 os might have a tad more power then the tt50 though maybe..

ive had a few thundertiger engine aswell as os plus others in my club and neighboring club have a mix similar to mine and we are more of the opinion that you should run a tt just a tad richer maybe but tweaking and reliability is pretty much on a par with os....i think os might be perhaps a friendlier engine for the inexperienced though then the tt as the os are not so critical on the tuning of the needle valve and tt engines are a bit fussy about heat ratings with the glo plug too but if treated correctly a tt engine will live as long as an os and once run-in (which might be a tad longer then os to run-in ) then tweaking shouldnt be an issue ...ours certainly arent..
Old 03-13-2006, 04:26 PM
BarracudaHockey

I was comparing the 50s but I'll say the OS 37 has more power than the TT39. To each his own, I just prefer the ease of the OS engines.