Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Thunder Tiger - Raptor 30, 50, 60, 90
Reload this Page >

I hate to ask about batteries, But i must. Sorry.

Community
Search
Notices

I hate to ask about batteries, But i must. Sorry.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 03:25 PM
fatboyjez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate to ask about batteries, But i must. Sorry.

I hate to ask about batteries it’s a mind field out there but I must. I don’t know much in this department and new at this, i use 2400ah 4.8v sub c nicad. It’s the biggest Nicad I could get. I would go to NiMh but read too many horror stories, they may be true or false I don’t know. I fly on my own no club near that will take heli’s so cant ask. I fly a Raptor Titan and like all new kits now days has digital servos and 401 gyro. The onboard tester tends to tell me 2 ½ flights I must stop. Is this normal? None of the servos are stalling, Just the rear tail servo buzzes as normal.

I was looking at Duralite 5.1v or 5.3v regulator and 4000 pack am I daft or will this solve my problem? If so how many flight may I get 5-8 do you think?
[&o]
Old 09-20-2006, 06:22 PM
archiebald

Default RE: I hate to ask about batteries, But i must. Sorry.

Well, I fly a Raptor 50 with S9255 x 4 and a S9254 on the tail and a 1500mAh 4.8v nicad pack.

My flight style is aerobatic - loops, rolls, stall turns, a bit of inverted, and some tic tocs - not really into full blown 3D yet. Your flight style will make a huge difference.

My flight times on my TTPro46 engine are around 12 to 13 minutes (with another 3 to 4 minutes of reserve fuel)

I easily get 2 flights and a third can be done safely before recharging, however I normally re-charge with my field charger after 2 (but not always). If I were doing more drastic flying I would definitely be charging every two flights without fail. As my flying progresses, I expect I will upgrade the battery pack.

I would have thought that only 2.5 flights on a 2400mAh pack seems short, I would expect to get 3 to 4 based on my experience at 1500mAh. Does the pack need cycling?

Raptor Technique gives some good information on experiences wth NiMH packs.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:05 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Duralite 4000 mah, 4x 9252, 401/9254 and a governor and I can go 10 flights with the 5.1v regulator.

That being said, the "horror stories" you hear about NiMH are old news, modern quality cells, sub c size can deliver the juice you need alot cheaper than LiIon but if you dont want to field charge LiIon is the way to go.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:26 PM
RevGQ

I have been building my own packs (nitro, gas planes and helis) from the Dura-cell 2500 mah Nimhs. I have never had a problem and I charge them using the Sirius Pro Series charger. I routinely fly four or five flights and simply recharge using the Sirius charger. I use my packs for three flying seasons before building a new pack, prior to packs showing any deteriation.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 AM
fatboyjez

thanks for the nice easy reply's. so my pack is just shy of what perhaps it will do,

i may go for duralite at some point.

thanks
jez
Old 10-29-2006, 10:15 AM
carlyle

I wouldn't say that!

I fly my Raptor 90SE with 4 8311 servos, a 611 gyro, and a TJ revmax, and I use a 1700 mah nicd. I can easily get 3 flights out of this set up, no problem. I fly pretty agressive 3D too.

What kind of charger are you using? Do you ever cycle your batteries?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:08 PM
rccardude04

I have a Raptor 50 Titan with a 401/9254 and 4 DS821's with a Futaba 9C/Synthesized PCM rx. I mainly just fly it around because I still haven't got a lot of practice, but I do stall turns, loops, rolls, etc.
Last time out, I got 3 flights on a 1650mAh NiMH and messed with it about a week later having not recharged it and had plenty to do that. I have a Gem 2000 4.8v that does not report any low battery issues at that point.
I'm thinking about swapping to the 2700mAh JR Sport pack for some extra flight time. I think 4 flights would be the absolute max on my setup.
I wonder if you're not having false peak issues...
-Eric