Notices

should i use the ttr 50?

Old 12-01-2006, 12:18 AM
the dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i use the ttr 50?

i just bought a titan off a guy that has never been started, or finished for that matter and it has the ttr 50 in it. my question is seeing how i am a beginner do i need a better engine to start with if im not doing 3d? or should i just use this thing up?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Motions

Default RE: should i use the ttr 50?

Definately stick with the TT50 especially if your just learning. If it's brand new, it should last quite a while as long as you keep it well tuned.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 AM
jez33

its funny as barracuda and i donnt agree totally on this front as i dont think hes had much luck with tt engines.lol....( no offense mate, )

but we do agree on the fact that the tt engines are fussier to tune then os engines which for a beginner might present a few more challengers but if its not run in yet then please make sure you give it lots of time because they take maybe a little longer to run in then is stated.make sure also that you keep it a little richer while running in ofcause then the engine will be fine..
i find though that my tt engines prefer cheaper fuel. i mean the type without thermal reducers which are common in helicopter fuel but i run all my helis on the none thermal reducing fuel and have done for years with no problems..

there are though a few more positives for the os engine too.. its more powerful,easier to tune, less fussy which type of fuel and glo plug it uses but ofcause its more expensive.

i fly today a number of helis which use tt ,os , webbra or rossi and a few more type engines in the past and all work very well in my assortment.mind you i do remember the 1st tt heli engine the tt36 but this engine was terrible.it had some terrible rich spots in the carb and it spat fuel out faster then it drank it,lol...but i got it to fly for a year on my heli till the conrod snapped when a bearing broke..
Old 12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

If it came with it then go ahead and use it, they arent the best in the world but most of them can be made to run.

The big thing is find someone, even if you have to drive a couple hours, to at a minimum give your heli a full check over and a trim flight. It shouldnt cost you more than some gas an lunch for 2 but you will get that back many times in either repairs or time wasted in frustration.

Also do some reading at http://www.raptortechnique.com
Old 12-01-2006, 03:10 PM
rjm1982

You know, TT engines arent as hard to tune as some people think...

The problem with them, is they like to run lean and hot. They just run better there. Mine smells like a hot motor when its done, but after about 100 flights ive pulled it apart and it looks no worse for wear than my other motors in my planes that run nice and cool. Whats wierd, is they dont SOUND lean when they are lean, unless they are WAY too lean. I got for just whispy smoke (15% fuel) and go by that. Ive yet to have a forced auto or any problems starting the motor. Mine is a tt39 by the way.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 PM
WhtBronco

My TT50 has been a very nice engine. The only issue is that it lacks the power to fly 3D, but it has plenty for typical aerobatic flight.

On 30% Cool Power it runs great and didn't even need to be touched out of the box.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:05 PM
windsheer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine TT50 has about a gallon and a half though it know. I started leaning it out and doing 3d. It pulls 11 degrees of collective on 30% wildcat. It only bogs if I pull too much collective doing flips. I am still learning tic toc's, but I don't get any bog. No tunning problems what so ever. I just had to open both needles up to run the 30% fuel.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 PM
P-40LUVR

I have the same heli but haven't got it completed yet..what kind of glow plug should I use with the TT 39H?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:56 AM
P-40LUVR

I hope this 39H runs ok that I bought.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:40 AM
windsheer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: P-40LUVR

I have the same heli but haven't got it completed yet..what kind of glow plug should I use with the TT 39H?
I would use an OS #8 plug.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:39 AM
ross001

Why not...You've got the engine, you might as well try it.

If it's a hassle then you can buy a different one. Sometimes TT engines run nicely.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:27 AM
the dog

i am going to run it i think. might as well to learn to fly it at least. if i dont like i guess i can buy new motor. i dont plan on 3d right away either.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:17 PM
mutare23

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TT50 hasnt given me any trouble at all and seems to have heaps of power.

I use only 5% nitro and 20% Coolpowe oil.

In fact I was flying at the field yesterday and commenting to the other guys there that, so far, it has been one very reliable engine.

Give it a run.

Cheers

Phil
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 PM
archiebald

When I started last year, I bought a brand new but discontinued TT46ProH (because it was very cheap). At first the mid range carburation was rough, but I did the high end needle mod which is well documented and the result was spot-on.

I have been running it for a over a year now with something like 250 flights on it. I am not into 3D yet and for my style of flying it has more than enough power to bomb around the sky with my raptor 50. I use 15 to 20% fuels.

Had a crash a few weeks ago which resulted in the throttle arm being smashed, engine went to full throttle (nothing I could do) and it totally destroyed the clutch before I could get to the heli. It was at full throttle for at least 90 seconds and I fully expected to find the engine cooked.

During the post mortem examination, I stripped the engine fully and there is not a hint of wear or abrasion anywhere, the internals look as good as new. I have just put new bearings in as routine maintenance but the engine itself is sweet as a nut.

The only times I have EVER had problems with this gem are,
1) The plug was near the end of its life
2) The tank clunk line has perished.

I love it, it starts every time with just a quick buzz of the starter.

And bear in mind, all of this is from an engine that was apparently slagged off for its quality and performance when it was being sold.

I know I might just be lucky, but based on my experience, I would buy another TT engine tomorrow without any qualms.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:36 PM
mutare23

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Archiebald.

I'm with you. I've had no problems at all with the TT engines.

Keep enjoying the flying

Cheers

Phil
Old 12-04-2006, 04:09 AM
jez33

im with you all above too..

all but one tt engine have or are super engines and start,throttle and power the heli nice..
the engine that was a bit troublesome was really only giving me the trouble at the tick over (i couldnt screw the low needle in as the mid range would change ) but it flew nicly once you were in flight .. it spat fuel out at a scary rate too,there was a few people on runryder that also had similar trouble to my tt 36 too,,, when i saw my mates heli with a 39 tt that made me think ill give tt another try,

after that though all my tt engines were and are very good..

i also only use 5%nitro and i use the cheaper end of the market fuel too
Old 12-04-2006, 08:17 AM
reaaz

some of the airplane guys who spend alot of time hovering planes told me that they use TT engines instead of OS because in that type of flying "hovering" OS engine only last about a year while the tt engine keep going & going.

they say that the os piston & liner manufacturing process is not as good as the method used by TT. thus a TT piston & liner will easily outlast a OS engine's