Notices

Ultra lite paddles

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Jej34
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra lite paddles

I bought the TT green paddles, great response but not so great for fast forward flight. Way to sensitive! Anyone else feel the same way?
Maybe dial out some throw? To me thatseems to defeat the purpose. Raptor 50 v2

Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ultra lite paddles

ORIGINAL: Jej34

I bought the TT green paddles, great response but not so great for fast forward flight. Way to sensitive! Anyone else feel the same way?
Maybe dial out some throw? To me thatseems to defeat the purpose. Raptor 50 v2
What do you mean by sensitive? What is your heli doing? You do realize that Forward flight is achieved by deflecting the rotor disk forward; as in Forward cyclic, part of the movements that you expected to change when you changed the paddles, right?

Or is it pitching up or diving down while already on FFF?

Rafael
Old 11-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Jej34

We'll, it seemed to porpous up and down as well as rock in a banking fashion left to right. I think the banking action was me slightly leaning on the stick and over controling it to correct. The funny thing is if I just think of moving the stick , it banks so quick. In the flight mode I was in, I had the throws set up give maximum swash plate movement. I am just wondering if I don't need full swashplate movement now , with those paddles? The thing sure rolls in a dime, I'll tell ya!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Rafael23cc

Well, if you went from the back ones straight to the greens ones, yes, it will feel like its reading your mind and then some.

Make sure your flybar is centered and balanced. Also make sure that your paddles are lines up with the flybar control arms. This will alleviate some of the problems. As far as porpoising, my 50 does it a little, as does my 90. I've gotten used to it. I've read that it is the airfoil of the paddles themselves. I tried other padles but did not like the cyclic speed. Went back to the ultralights.

Rafael
Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Jej34

Good info ! I'll double check that. Do you fly with the maximum throws on aileron and elevator with the greens?

-Joe
Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Rafael23cc

Good info ! I'll double check that. Do you fly with the maximum throws on aileron and elevator with the greens?

-Joe

I am not sure what you mean by maximum throws. I have all my helis set to about 7 degrees of aileron and elevator throw. I measure this a zero pitch on the collective and placing a blade over the boom to measure aileron and 90 degrees to the boom to measure elevator.

If you are talking about maximum swashplate throws before it binds the head or any of it's ;inkages, then you could be stalling out the blades.

Rafael
Old 11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Jej34

Yes, full swashplate just before binding. I'll try your 7 degree deal.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Jej34

Ok, I think I was at around 10!!
I backed everything off to 7 degrees. We'll try it out this weekend!

Thanks for your input

-Joe
Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Rafael23cc

Come back here on sunday night or monday and tell us how it feels.

Rafael
Old 11-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Jej34

I certainly will, I forgot to ask you if you use expo. Or if you ar linear on aileron and elevator? I do not use expo.

-Joe
Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Rafael23cc

I do use expo. About 25%

Rafael
Old 11-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Jej34

I figured I go put some in, nevered used expo. Not sure to use positive or negative..
Jr 9303

Joe
Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Rafael23cc

Positive on the JR radios. You will see the curve flatten on the screen. If you go negative, you will see the curve get steeper. Try it (on the radio) so you can see the difference graphically.

Rafael
Old 11-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Jej34

All I can say is WOW !!!!!

This thing is a beast with these paddles!
Raphael, your 7 degrees seemed to be the perfect touch with, 25% expo.
I've flown miniature aircraft excells my whole life and never had one that can do a 360 degree from hover without losing an inch of altitude. I was doing them from like 10 feet off the ground.
Still a bit rich on the sx Hyper, I need a temp gun. I did the finger thing on th back plate, I'm close!!

Thanks Raphael !
Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Jej34

360 degree axial roll that is....
Old 11-23-2009, 04:53 AM
archiebald

A Request - the color of the paddles varies by country and some different colors are actually the same weight, so would people please quote the weight and not the color.

In my case I've been steadily upgrading my Raptor over the last few years for quicker response

I fly max possible aileron / elevator then dial in plenty of expo to give me good mid stick stability with plenty of bite when I demand it.

Started out with the black original paddles (40 grams) like everyone else, then upgraded to yellow (21 grams) for a fairly crisp response with pretty good stability. Then went to carbon skeletal fins to speed up flips.

Recently upgraded to the Titan SE head configuration (fitted to a Quick UK head) - WOW - that really transformed it. Apart from the extra collective, if you or your engine can manage it, the roll rate and fast turns suddenly became whiplash inducing just to watch.

Today I tried out a set from a Trex (17 grams) that my buddy loaned me and it is now an utter MONSTER!! Extremely agile. I now need to do a lot of catching up to improve my ability to match the heli.

But I am now looking for a nice set of carbon paddles in the 12 to 15 gram range.

HOWEVER, even with the 17 gram paddles, this heli still tracks straight and true in fast forward flight. Main reason I believe is a combination of,

> Absolutely no wear or play in linkages,
> Push-pull on elevator
> Metal pitch arm
> Full metal head (Quick UK) + Swash with only the new Titan SE mixer arms being plastic

And most importantly....
> VERY precise set up on the paddles for perfect tracking

But, I have found that even my second Raptor which is set up far more stable, I can get a lot of pitching in FFF in a head wind.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Paddle alignment and proper CG keep the pitchyness down. The green paddles are 20 grams btw.

Also, *****g out the throw is self destructive, anything more than 16 or 17 degrees is going to stall the blades, take a cyclic deflection of 8 or 9 and combine it with some collective and you're just going to slow the flip and roll rate down, not speed it up.

Try it, you'll see.

Now, that said, excellent pilots can get away with a lot of pitch both in collective and cyclic to get the pop they want, but they also have that ability to back off one or the other the moment they start feeling the head speed decay, that inate ability to know when to back off, and which to back off at the right moment, is what separates the men from the boys (i'm still a boy in that regard, I can do it but not as automatically as many)
Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Rafael23cc

All I can say is WOW !!!!!

This thing is a beast with these paddles!
Raphael, your 7 degrees seemed to be the perfect touch with, 25% expo.
Thanks Raphael !

I'm glad you liked it.

Rafael
Old 11-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Jej34

What head speeds are you guys running?
Raptor v2 Sx Hyper, any suggestions?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Rafael23cc

What head speeds are you guys running?
Raptor v2 Sx Hyper, any suggestions?
The hyper creates the best horsepower at 17000 rpm. My raptor has an 8.5 gear ratio. That translates to a headspeed of 2000rpm for peak performance.

Rafael
Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 PM
archiebald

My YS50ST + Hatori #522 + 30% nitro is, I believe putting out peak power at 17,500 (divide by 8.5 = 2,058rpm). It was set up for 2,000rpm on the head but I just upped it to 2,100rpm. This has given me just a slight benefit in preventing bogging since it is now running just above the peak power point so bogs "into the power" if you get my meaning.

I fly at 750m asl so we lose a bit of power from the engine and a bit of bite from the rotors compared to sea level.

I am still a novice at collective management but this new setup has given a good challenge to improve my flying.

One of the great advantages I have already found with lighter paddles is that to get fast flip rates I was using full cyclic which would have been causing more mechanical and aerodynamic drag to bog the engine. With the lighter paddles it is no longer necessary to bang the sticks as hard to get acceptable roll and flip rates, hence less bogging.