Community
Search
Notices

Torque tube conversion for Raptor 50???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Crazy Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque tube conversion for Raptor 50???

Hey, just wondered if any of you guys knew a place where they do torque tube conversions for raptor 50's, as ive noticed that align has done one for there t-rex 600, and there fairly new models, so i thought surely someone somewhere has come out with it for the raptor 50 which is has been out for a number of years now???

also what are the benefits of torque tubes over belts?

many thanks

!!CRAaAaAaZY!!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:46 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Torque tube conversion for Raptor 50???

Benefits of TT: More precise and less drag on the system during an auto, no fussing with belt tension.

Benefit of belt: No fussing with gear mesh, simpler in design and cheaper. Rarely breaks in a crash where the TT often breaks the tube, gears or both in even a minor contact with the dirt.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Motions

Another victim of "gotta have it, don't know what it is but everybody else has one".
Old 05-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Crazy Geezer

tis true, the worlds most popular 50 size helicopter. lacking on upgrades!, dam.... if any of you big names out there like, KASAMA, or QUICK UK, or THUNDER TIGER themselves read this!

!!!!MAKE A DARN TORQUE TUBE FOR THE 50!!!!

im actualy considering emailing thunder tiger, an quick uk
Old 05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Crazy Geezer

oook, just emailed Thunder Tiger with my question which is, why isnt there a Raptor 50 torque tube conversion, and yet new noob to the helicopter industry companies hae it fitted as standard!! ,an plenty an plenty of other persuasive techniques which i thought of, to get them to put there arse in gear an create a tube!!!!

just gona wait patiently for a reply, and i'l inform you guys asap
Old 05-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you want a TT, when Barracuda already pointed out all the bad things about it?

Lat's take it one more step, Gohbee has a belt upgrade for the Raptor 60/90. How 'bout that? They call it an UPGRADE.

I have changed many more gears and torque tubes on my R60, than belts and pulleys on my R50. I'm actually considering the Gohbee UPGRADE.

Or, you can be in the leading edge of the hobby and try to retro-fit the Align torque tube to the Raptor. It's already being done with the tail grips and hub.

Rafael
Old 05-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Crazy Geezer

ok well, align call the torque tube an upgrade over the belt??? "how bout that"

no fussing with belt tension, and i dont understand why gears will wear out??, just get the meshing correct in the first place??
Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 PM
BarracudaHockey

Its not that they will wear out its that they will break every time you have even the most minor mishap. Its really not an upgrade, just a different way to do things. If it was that great, someone would have made one for the R50 by now, but fact is, it doesn't need it.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Rafael23cc

I'll go a step further than Barracuda, he called it a mishap.

On my 60, I managed to touch down ever so slightly tilted, and the tail blades contacted the ground. I spent the next 1/2 hour replacing the tail gears.

Several months ago, there was a discussion in one of the "other" forums about which one was better. A lot of people were inclined towards the torque tube because it was used in most of the larger helis. I have one of each and I believe that both of them serve their purpose. Then I was able to see a Yamaha RMAX up close. It uses a belt to drive the tail. It should speak volumes about reliability, and ease of maintenance.

Just as a size comparison, here is my Raptor 60 in front of a Yamaha RMax. The other picture is me (6'3" 300 lbs) next to the RMax.

Rafael
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48773.jpg
Views:	1394
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	677669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81018.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	677670  
Old 05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
misileman
My Feedback: (8)

Crazy Geezer has the "haves"...
He must have to have this part or it's not perfect. We all get the "haves" once in a while. Especially if it's competitive between people like, he has one so I must "have" it too. Or just to be different from the rest.

Do we "have" to put metal parts on a heli to make it fly decent, nope. But they look cool and fly just a little better.

Well I hate to say it but I "have" to go, the little lady is asking for me.

"Have" fun Crazy Geezer, converting the belt over to tube drive.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Motions

The only thing I would use a torque tube on is a scaler. Belts are so much easier to maintain and much cheaper.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Crazy Geezer

Misileman, i really dont appreciate sarcasm, an im actualy pretty agrivated at what you just posted.

Well, using what i noticed about newer heli's having tubes over belts, and Szabo converting his T-rex to torque tube, made me assume that the torque must of been the better option, i simply asked a question, is there one out for the Rappy 50?, and why isnt there?

Cuda stated the pro's an cons of each, as i didnt know, hence the reason i asked, an cuda.. thanks

im just asking questions, at no point did i state Torque Tube is better than belt??
so why come out with the sarcy comments.... mocking me like... oo hes got the haves, he has one, so i must i? wt heck?? if he doesnt have it its not perfect an all this silly stuff??

is there any need?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Motions

Well, you said it yourself... Szabo has one so it must be good. That's how people get suckered into products.

No, it's not needed but it is personal preference.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Rafael23cc

I see that you are upset at some of the responses you've received. Let me add something here.

There are the responses that you get from people like Barracuda, that go straight to the point, and there are the responses that you get from other people that read your original and subsequent posts and answer the post by relying on the "wording" that you used. If you want to receive better advise, or create better discussions, try writning your post, reading it several times to see if what you wrote is what you want to say, and then hit the submit button. I do this every time and I cannot deny that has gotten me into trouble, but If i didn't do it, I would have been kicked off a few forums already.

In these forums, I cannot see the expression of your face, and the only thing we have to give us a clue on your state of mind, is the words you put in here. Carefully selecting those words will go a long way. If you just write what comes to your head, then you will continue getting responses like the above.

Rafael
Old 05-04-2007, 02:41 PM
BarracudaHockey

Lets keep everything civil please.

CG, the bottom line is a torque tube conversion isn't going to make you fly any better, spend your money on fuel.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:07 PM
misileman
My Feedback: (8)

I'm sorry if I offended you, C. G. It was not my intention to sound sarcastic toward you.
I quit racing 1/8th scale nitro cars because of the competitive level between people, brands, products, and differences in design that would change over night. I've noticed the same trend coming to helicopters with what's the hot product this pilot is using and how fast us customers jump on it's presumed advantage.
I was not focusing my conversation on you personally but all of our tendency to promote products or designs within our hobby.

I do prefer the torque tube drive system over the belts because it's much more efficient and less maintenance.

Again, I am sorry if you felt I was flaming you, I was not. My point was meant that if big name pilot flew an Air Hog heli at a competition, there would be a big line at Walmart within a week.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 PM
bigdad390

You know whats funny, I remember the same arguments 20 years ago at "fly inns" and in magazines, we did not have the internet back then. Hirobo and the GMP Legend used a belt dive and Miniture Aricraft's X-Cell came out with a torque tube upgrade for there wire dive. Aftermarket companies like Tech Specialties also had Torque tube upgrades for many of the other copters.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:34 AM
archiebald

I first started flying with a Kyosho Nexus that had a wire drive. I forget how many times I had to replace stripped gears for the most minor of blade touches. The belt drive on my Raptor has been trouble free from day one. Several crashes have only ever resulted in replacement tail booms.

I don't care what anyone else is using - I would stick with a belt drive forever.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:40 PM
bigdad390

ORIGINAL: archiebald

I first started flying with a Kyosho Nexus that had a wire drive. I forget how many times I had to replace stripped gears for the most minor of blade touches. The belt drive on my Raptor has been trouble free from day one. Several crashes have only ever resulted in replacement tail booms.

I don't care what anyone else is using - I would stick with a belt drive forever.
I can honestly say that in all those years of flying, I never stripped a set of tail gears or stripped the wire drive in my Cricket, GMP Cobra, GMP Competetor, Shutler Magic II or X-Cell 60. I did however break the belt several times on my Hirobo Stork SE, Kalt Cyclone and once on my GMP Legend. Of course the belt drive may be better today than back then. My new Century ship has a torque tube drive and thus far has not given me any problems.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
AMA Outlaw

I have owned several Micro and Mini helis with a tail drive shaft and one with a belt outside of the E550. I agree that the Torque Tubes are more fragile, but I like the more efficient use of power and how the mesh stays set on them. I hate having to adjust the belt everytime I go out to fly. The part about being more prone to breaking, well...I don't normally get the tail in the dirt or hit the pavement with the tail anyways. If I do, I just do the checks and replace what's buggered up. If the price were a little lower for the TT tails I would probably go in favor of them (using the Align tail as a price guide), but until the Rap 30/50 TT tail comes out I'm not worrying about the belt in it.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
WhtBronco

I am intrigued that you guys have to adjust the belt often. I have only had to adjust the belt 1 time other than when the boom was removed and that was before the first flight. Course my R50 has only 57 flights in almost 3 years.

Anyway I have found the R50 belt to be trouble free, maintenance free and easy to set. After having set gears in automotive differentials (Dana 44, Dana 60 and Ford 9") a few times I have no desire to set gear mesh on anything these days. I never cared for the wire drive and gears on my Concept 30 and personally I thought the belt was an improvement.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:33 PM
AMA Outlaw

If you don't have the carbon tail boom on a Raptor then the belt will have to be checked prior to each session or periodically through the day as the temp changes. The metal boom shrinks/expands like crazy with temp changes! Setting it inside the house with the A/C on and going out flying in the middle of a hot summer day will make the belt tension change (as will doing the same going out into the cold in winter time). Luckily the temps here in the Amazon is always hot so I don't do much adjusting, but I still check it in the morning or evening when it's cooler. Gear lash on the other hand is (usually) a set and forget type of thing.