Notices

Programming a DX7 on a Raptor 50

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:31 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programming a DX7 on a Raptor 50

If anyone could help out in this situation I would appreciate the help greatly. I am switching everything over to Spektrum and when it comes to the Govenor mode on my Raptor 50 the book says nothing about how to program this. I am hoping it will be an easy fix, but I hate to just dive in if someone has been doing it already.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Programming a DX7 on a Raptor 50

There's no governor menu in the DX7.

Set the end points on the control channel switch to get your normal and idle 2 setup then use the sub trim to get the middle position set up.

I think Mike at RT has a DX7 so he's probably got some programming pages. http://www.raptortechnique.com
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 AM
USMC2111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of gov are you using?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 AM
edge_pilot

i'm using the Futaba GV-1. I can set the RPM's from the module on the govenor, but I need a way to turn it on and off I guess?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Neriyah

http://www.raptortechnique.com/review-dx7.htm

That's how Mike did it. It's kinda hard to find on the site
About half way down the page there's GV-1 how to.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 PM
edge_pilot

Thanks Neriyah. Raptor technique knows it all! I set it up tonight just as he showed and everything looks perfect. Only one downfall with the DX7, there no 8th position to put an on/off switch for the govenor. I will just set the normal flight mode up for no govenor, he showed how to do this also. Thanks again and happy flying![8D]
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM
BarracudaHockey

You hit the reason precisely why I held off on jumping on the DX bandwagon. I'm waiting for the x9303 (and my year end bonus!)
Old 08-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to program mine to just use two head speeds and normal mode is gov off. I sometimes wish that I had waited for the x9303 too. Oh well, at least I am flying and don't have to worry about frequencies. [8D]
Old 08-05-2007, 04:56 PM
edge_pilot

Just to set anyone else straight that reads this, I now have govenor mode on all three flight modes. The GV-1 govenor has a mode just for this type of transmitter. You can have the govenor turn on after 20% of the throttle stick is reached in normal flight mode. This way when you reduce the throttle on landing the govenor automatically shuts off below 20% stick. After flying this way I tend to like it more than having the on/off on a seperate switch.

One big thing that threw me for a loop for a few minutes is the trim system in the DX-7. When you trim normal flight mode out then go into advanced flight modes the trims return to center! You must trim each flight mode seperately.[:'(] That was a surprise the first time I hit the flight mode switch!
Old 08-05-2007, 06:11 PM
USMC2111

Edge_pilot, about your trims. If when you trim out your heli by the radio, then go into another mode and the trims go back to center, and your heli acts crazy, you did not trim your heli's cyclic very well mechanically. You should use very little trim if any at all on your radio when you fly. You should trim your heli mechanically on a 0 wind day, so it hovers level with a very minimum amount of stick input to keep it steady, no trim or subtrim added. The only time you would use the trim, is to adjust for wind. But I dont even use trim for that. Of course, this does not apply to the throttle.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: edge_pilot

Just to set anyone else straight that reads this, I now have govenor mode on all three flight modes. The GV-1 govenor has a mode just for this type of transmitter. You can have the govenor turn on after 20% of the throttle stick is reached in normal flight mode. This way when you reduce the throttle on landing the govenor automatically shuts off below 20% stick. After flying this way I tend to like it more than having the on/off on a seperate switch.

One big thing that threw me for a loop for a few minutes is the trim system in the DX-7. When you trim normal flight mode out then go into advanced flight modes the trims return to center! You must trim each flight mode seperately.[:'(] That was a surprise the first time I hit the flight mode switch!
I actually started off with mine set up like that but a gov can hide little problems so I changed it to where I can fly with the gov off in normal flight mode and it helps keep the gov from hiding tuning probs and other little gotchas. It's just a simple menu item change on the gov control unit and I can switch back and forth as needed. It all comes down to personal preference but thanks for the heads up.

On the trim issue, I chose to buy a DX7 and not get 2.4 modules for my Futaba 8U because of the trims only working in normal mode on the Futaba. On the Futaba, when you go to Idle Up modes the trims don't work. You have to either work the mechanical setup or use offsets either of which require more effort than simply moving a trim switch. I love my DX7 although as I said above, I wish I had waited on more channels. Have a great day all. [8D]
Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM
BarracudaHockey

That "trim per flight mode" often gets people when they bump the trim and have different rudder trims so they boot the gyro in normal mode, it looks fine they take off, switch to idle up and it starts drifting.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Jezmo

I can see where that would be a problem. Glad you mentioned it so I don't get caught by that one. I don't normally boot the gyro in normal mode however I have learned to never say never as some days I tend to have brain cramps and I certainly might do it one day. It's funny how things change as we get older. I also don't trim the tail in any of the flight modes since I fly in HH.

Have a great one. [8D]
Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
BarracudaHockey

I usually say Rate mode when I'm talking gyro mode.

I meant, they boot the gyro in normal flight mode, and then switch to idle up that has a different trim setting and the gyro drifts.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 PM
soop7667

Hmmm - I'm not familiar with the GV1 set up, but I'm using a TJ Pro gov, and I have my DX7 set up as follows.

The Aux 2 switch is the master on/off switch for my gov. The flight mode switch changes between 3 rpm settings. Normal is 1550, Stunt-1 is 1800, and Stunt-2 will end up becoming 2000 when I get my Carbon Blades - for now it's slightly more than 1810.

How exactly are you controlling your GV-1? My TJPro runs on a single channel to control the gov. Anything below 20% throttle - or anything below 5% on my AUX channel disables the gov.

My set up was really simple. I used 3 mixes. For any of these mixes to work - the AUX2 Switch must be up - with it down - the output to the AUX2 Channel remains at 0 meaning gov is disabled.

Mix1 ((((((Brings Speed up slightly above stunt 1 settings - [[[[Stunt 2]]]] )))))))

AUX2 > AUX2
+5%
0%

SW: F-S2
Offset: 0

Mix2 (((((((((((((((Sets Aux2 Channel output for headspeed of 1800 - [[[[STUNT 1]]]] )))))))))))

AUX2 > AUX2
+65%
0%

SW: ON
Offset 0

Mix3 ((((((Reduces the Aux channel output to command a headspeed of 1550. [[[[Normal Mode]]]] ))))))

AUX2 > AUX2
-20%
0%

SW: F-NR
Offset 0

Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 AM
soop7667

Give us an update...Did you get it worked out?