Clutch Liner replacement made easy

Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 PM
atibert
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Liner replacement made easy

I have a simple tool that makes clutch lining
replacement a breeze and most should be able to make
it at home with little expense or tools.
I will use a Raptor clutch for example, for this I
used a 1 1/4 PVC pipe and sliced off a ring between
5/8" and 3/4" long, then I removed aprox. 3/4" from
the circumfrence, sanded the edges and it's done!
You can see it installed in the clutch bell, epoxy
doesn't stick to the PVC either.

Respectfully submitted by;
Andy Tibert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26098.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	806869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38845.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	806870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25277.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	806871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83581.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	806872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59186.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	806873  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 PM
USMC2111

Default RE: Clutch Liner replacement made easy

Have you tried flying a heli after using your new homemade tool? I give you kudos for coming up with an inexpensive tool to make clutch liner installation easier, but I am a little concerned on how the actual fit will be. Most people will wrap a couple layers of electrical tape around the clutch, and press it in with the liner installed until the epoxy dries. The tape acts as a spacer to give a certain amount of gap between clutch and liner, and also keeps a lot of pressure on the liner to keep it forced against the bell. While your tool is a good idea, i am interested to see if it can put enough pressure on the liner to get the proper clearance for the clutch so that it doesn't drag at an idle.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 PM
AutoMike

LOL..so simple its ingenius. I think this method warrents being named The Tibert clutch replacement tool
Way to use the ol' bean
Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 AM
atibert

I have done replacement several times with this tool and it holds the liner in place very nice, never any bumps or high spots.
They look like factory new when done. Email or post if you have any other ????
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Nothing against your tool but the clutch/tape method is the best way to get a correct and consistent gap.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 AM
AutoMike

Really BH? So you've used it and it provided an incorrect and inconsistent gap then?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 AM
BarracudaHockey

I didn't say that. All I said is the clutch/tape method provides a consistent and correct gap no matter the tollerences in the clutch and liner thicknesses, and you already have a clutch handy.

Quite frankly I enjoy seeing the ingenuity of model helicopter pilots, we seem to be a smart and inventive lot.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, no need to go buy anything. I already have the clutch handy and a couple turns of elec. tape and I have a holder/spacer for my new liner.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Lappster
My Feedback: (21)

Here's what I have noticed,,
If you use the Tibert Tool (hehe) and keep a consistent amount of glue on the liner you have a perfect fit. If you use the clutch as a spacer you will have highspots as the clutch itself is not perfectly round. The relief areas will allow the clutch to vary in diameter. To finish the clutch method off you really should true it up on a lathe.

My opinion is the Tibert Tool works more consistently for the majority of modelers who dont have access to a lathe.

Do you notice the difference of a high spot? Probably not but your heli will not be as smooth as it could be.

Take care,,
Troy
Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM
USMC2111

oops
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM
USMC2111

ORIGINAL: Lappster

Here's what I have noticed,,
If you use the Tibert Tool (hehe) and keep a consistent amount of glue on the liner you have a perfect fit. If you use the clutch as a spacer you will have highspots as the clutch itself is not perfectly round. The relief areas will allow the clutch to vary in diameter. To finish the clutch method off you really should true it up on a lathe.

My opinion is the Tibert Tool works more consistently for the majority of modelers who dont have access to a lathe.

Do you notice the difference of a high spot? Probably not but your heli will not be as smooth as it could be.

Take care,,
Troy
Nothing against atibert's tool, as I have yet to try it, but the electrical tape around the clutch works very well. I have done 5 or 6 liner replacements with no problem. Hundreds of others have as well. If there are any small high spots, the clutch will smooth them out as it breaks in. I dont see any point in getting too technical about it. You could do the same thing with your fan if you wanted, putting it on a dial indicator to see if you have any runnout. Some do, but most don't, and they fly with the best of them.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 AM
AutoMike

LOL..what the heck fellas?! Andy never asked if anyone thought there was a better way to deal with clutch liners. He just wanted to share his idea that he felt was easier to do than a wad of tape wraped around the clutch then pressed into the bell. Heck, I like his idea for the easy in , easy out side of it. Just posting "hey, neat idea. I might try it next time" would have been fine. Not a couple of guys, that should know better, picking the guys freely given sugestion apart without even trying it.

Nothing against your tool but the clutch/tape method is the best way to get a correct and consistent gap.
Silly thing to say. It implies his idea is flawed. The BEST way would have to be buying the bell with the liner pre-installed from the factory. More costly, but still the best

No wonder a few get fed up. With how rudely a few replies were given I would think twice before offering any ideas. What may be worse, is if you dont think you were rude or could have responded better and just thanked him for the sugestion.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:38 PM
BarracudaHockey

Posts on an interent forum can be interpreted many ways, I didn't intend the post how you interpreted it unfortunately.

If you want to break it down to technical terms, I have had problems with factory glued liners. The clutch method ensures that one particular liner is gapped to one particular clutch and takes manufacturing tollerneces out of the equation.

If people didn't think outside the norm we (as a hobby) wouldn't be where we are today so I applaud him for his thinking.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 PM
archiebald

I've only ever had to do two clutch liners and I used the tape around the clutch method.

But, I didn't find it as easy as some seem to suggest, so next time I do one I'll certainly be trying atibert"s method.

I am also thinking that I can improve it a little by using a suitable diameter rod of some sort that I can press into the pipe to ensure that the clutch lining is pressed out thoroughly against the bell.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 PM
fxrider

Good job Andy. I will give your suggestion a try next time I install a liner. Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

neat idea, but the only thing i really dont like bout it is the large gap between the "clamp" theres nothing their to keep that part of the liner against the bell.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM
atibert

The gap is about 1/4" to 3/8" when the tool is in place, just enough so you can squeeze it to get it in place. This is one thing I didn't metion at the top but the 3/4" cut out when making this tool is an aproximate cut out and you may need to sand the cutout area more so you can get the tool in place. The gap that is left doesn't cause a high spot in the liner since it is rather small.
You may PM me if you have any other questions[8D]
Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM
wiz310

If you were worried about the pressure on the liner not being enough, cut a larger slot from a second piece of pipe and install inside the first piece, as a spring. nice even pressure all the way around. Great idea for a cheap tool that works.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 AM
atibert

Just had to replace a liner and thought I would revive this thread, It works great!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:24 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy T, I love the method!

For my next clutch bell replacement, I'll just buy the liner and do it this way.

Thanks for a good tip thread.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:32 PM
fxrider

Andy, I used your idea to change a liner. It worked great, and as you said, and it was simple. This was my first liner change and probably wouldn't have attempted it if hadn't been for your post a while back.

Cheers
Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
krisma

Woah, i't been a few years since I've seen this posted.

I've been using it for several years. However the biggest tweak that I made to mine was to keep the cut in the pvc as small as possible keeping consistent pressure all throughout the liner.

When I have mine installed it has no more than an 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap. I also made it so that it has about 4 inches of overall length. This makes gripping the tool with your whole hand easy to do and therefore easier to use. Hope this helps out!!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
wangchi

it is really a good way,but i do not think it can work in hige speed .if it works at a high-speed ,the tempatue shoud very hot!~thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 12:12 PM
fyrstormer

Pardon the total noob question: What does the clutch liner *do* on a helicopter? Other types of nitro RCs don't have clutch liners.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey

It lines the clutch bell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.