Notices

GY401

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 AM
dany_maia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GY401

Hello all.
Will I need servo extensions to fit a GY401 in a raptor titan or the supplied cables are long enough?
I mean to connect the gyro placed near the tail boom to the channels 4 and 5 of the receiver.

Best regards:
Daniel
Old 11-21-2007, 08:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: GY401

If you route them correctly you wont have any problem, mine are all mounted on the shelf behind the main shaft with the reciever on the front w/o extensions.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM
rcjon

BH,

On the subject of GY 401s, today the earth rose up and smote my Raptor. Really hard. It's pretty much trashed. What are the odds my 401 will be ok?

For the morbidly curious, I was making my first attempts at inverted hover. At a safe height and distance I flipped over and applied negative collective but I wasn't square with the world and she started moving away rapidly. I decided to just push her back over to upright but it was a heavily overcast day and the heli was just too far away. I lost orientation and she went in quartering away at a high rate of speed. I'm too sick to look at it closely tonight, but the OS50 Hyper is busted as is the frame. The tail boom and several screws appear undamaged.

[&o]
Old 11-21-2007, 07:04 PM
DamBo

Sounds like a rekit and some.[]

It brings back memories and that sick feeling in your stomach.

I guess it is just another of the learning curve.

I planted two of mine in one week doing inverted too low. I got all smart and thought I could handle it, then lost orientation and oops dirt flying.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:14 AM
mxracerx43

When I was learning inverted hovering or any new move for that matter, I always make sure to have my bail out planned in advance, Like make sure to give neg collective and roll
right when inverted. I would always practice te bail out a couple times until I felt comfortable trying to hold it. Also I had alot easier time with inverted once I brought it down lower.
Same as inverted hovering when it is up above you to high it is hard to tell our exact attitude to give correct inputs. Maybe try keeping it closer and a bit lower next time. Sorry to hear about you misfortune, I think we all know that sick in the gut feeling you get walking over to the yardsale that used to be your heli.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:16 AM
rcjon

Thanks for the commensuration and advise, guys.

I performed the autopsy last night and the BDA wasn't as bad as I thought. I have some of the head and tail parts that I'll need, otherwise it's about $120 worth of stuff + blades + engine. Electronics appear to be functioning so I'll just have to see about them when I get it rebuilt. I'm still wondering about the GY 401 - it inititalized on the bench and still makes corrections to the tail.

Fortunately I have a back-up bird, another Titan, that is in flying condition, although it has some issues from a previous crashed. I've just been avoiding trying to figure them out until I had to.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:14 AM
dany_maia

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards:
Daniel
Old 11-22-2007, 09:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Gyros are pretty robust but make sure to test it low with your finger on the throttle hold incase it does anything goofy on the first flight.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Gyro believe it or not is one of the most robust parts on your heli...I have seen a-lot more RX failures from crashes then Gyro's...I am sorry for you...I know how it feels as do most RC heli pilots...