Notices

Raptor 50 or 60? Which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Rudder Dragger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 50 or 60? Which to buy?

I've been flying helis almost a year now, planes for years. Started with a Blade CP Pro last June. Got a T-Rex450SA a couple months later and now I'm looking to buy a bigger heli. I was looking at buying a T-Rex 600E, but after much thought and consideration of prices, run times, and life cycles, I'm gonna go to a nitro instead. That's till the large li-po batt packs come down in price or something happens in the A123 and other battery chemisty markets.

I've always loved the looks of the Raptor so I decided to go with it. I'm flying mostly sport type stuff now. I like doing aerobatics (as I've done a lot with airplanes) so that's coming along, been doing some light 3D and I think I'll definately be doing more. I also like and appreciate larger ships because I hate to fly in windy condition we seem to have far too often.

Was looking at either a

Rap50V2 w/a OS 50 Hyper, Futaba 401, Futaba 9202s, Futaba 9254 on tail

or

Rap60V2 w/a OS 70, with same combo

Seems to me,

50 = somewhat lower upfront cost, cheaper to fix, little less fuel, similar perf. for lower cost, sufficient power, handles wind ok, autos ok

60 = little more expensive upfront, more expensive to fix, more fuel, excellent perf., excess power, handles wind well, more stable and smooth, easier to see, autos better

Looks like it comes down to crash kits, (seems like a big difference in price, correct?) and fuel on the money side. Does a lot of stuff break on the 60? I don't crash that often.

How do they fly respectively?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 PM
seef23

Default RE: Raptor 50 or 60? Which to buy?

I agree with the description of the 50 and taht a great helicopter. I jumped from 50 to a 90 with no regrets - yes more expensive but a lot more powerful specially in windy/ gusty conditions. I would reccommend a 90 before a 60.

Enjoy
Seefheli
South Africa
Old 04-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out heliproz volicaraptor package best bang for your buck..I fly a .90 and a titan .50 and i dont find the .90 autos any better than a .50..Guess it depends on set-up..The 90s are much more exspensive to fly and mainly repair..I would say the 50 cost is about half of a 90 in a crash..And the fuel consumption is much higher..My first nitro heli was a .30 v-2 and then i purchased the package from www.heliproz.com for the 50 titan..With the longer boom and hyper engine and all the flying improvment upgrades "not just bling" makes it still my favorite heli..I dont fly any 3-d yet but still learning and finding parts is easy for the 50..Also the Mavrickk blades they sell are also a great value..Friends of mine have flown my heli's and they where surprised how well the blades worked for the price..Until your totally comfortable with flying hard 3-d there is no point in $120.00 blades.. but dont use the woodies unless your just hovering..One thing that comes to mind is the 90 is rock solid in a hover because of it's weight and size..But the 50 is not far behind..The 401 package is a great gyro for any heli unless your doing really hard 3-d...4 of my heli's have the 401 and my trex 600 EP has a 611 and matching servo..The 611 does stop like it hit a brick wall but it will be some time before i can use its limits.. My opinion is get the 50 titan and spend your money on really good servos and pass on the 60..
Old 04-06-2008, 07:52 AM
badazzbusa

I would get a 50, it has plenty of power, flys well and parts are cheap and easy to find. Once you get that flying, if you want a bigger heli get a 90.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 AM
jtuba05

I would go with a 50, then from there to a 90. Skip the 60 all together
Old 04-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Rudder Dragger

Thanks for the insights guys!

Well it looks like I'll be getting the Rap 60. I had a guy PM me about a Rapt 60 V2 w/TT 70 ARF he's had sitting around in his workshop collecting dust that's never been run. That's right, a brand new bird and he gave me a price of $450 plus shipp.

It looks like a deal I can't turn down. My only concern it the TT engine. I've seen some mixed reviews about them. I was going to go with a OS 70 if I wasn't getting a engine wit it, but I'd like to give the TT a try.

I've had great luck with 2C engines in my airplanes. I usually only set the needles once and fly the crap out of them, till they loose power from wear. On a really hot humid day, I might enrichen the HS needle a couple of clicks, but other than that I don't have to tinker with'em usually. I've seen people twist and twist their needles, run it up, twist and twist their needles, run it up, all day long (in the pits of course, right next to you, your friend, or some other poor guy trying to enjoy his day without the unessasary racket). Then you try to offer them some help because you feel bad for them, cuzz you know it's gotta suck, and you know that you can set it up for'em in 5 mins or less. That's if he's willing to listen to your advice, and take it. Oh yeah, and there isn't some weird azz pin hole air leak, you can't see in the carb or lines somewhere, or a fuel tank that's mounted 3" below the needle valves. Sorry for the crazy-man rant (Its' genetic. At least, that's what the voices in my head tell me), but I see this go on way too frequently.

Any opinions out there? Is it a bad mixed bag in QC for the TT's, a not so great design, a stigma from the QC of earlier of TT engines, or a lot of operator error?

Mike
Old 04-06-2008, 07:25 PM
badazzbusa

I would still start with a 50. Rebuilding the tail in a 60 or 90 gets real expensive, compared to a $15 boom and $20 belt (that usually doesn't get damaged) on a 50. I've never run a TT .70 so I can't comment on the engine, but most people wind up converting the .60s over to .90s in the long run. Power to weight, I think a 50 with a Hyper would be your best best.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
rcjon

ORIGINAL: Rudder Dragger

Well it looks like I'll be getting the Rap 60. I had a guy PM me about a Rapt 60 V2 w/TT 70 ARF he's had sitting around in his workshop collecting dust that's never been run. That's right, a brand new bird and he gave me a price of $450 plus shipp.

It looks like a deal I can't turn down. My only concern it the TT engine. I've seen some mixed reviews about them. I was going to go with a OS 70 if I wasn't getting a engine wit it, but I'd like to give the TT a try.

I've had great luck with 2C engines in my airplanes. I usually only set the needles once and fly the crap out of them, till they loose power from wear. On a really hot humid day, I might enrichen the HS needle a couple of clicks, but other than that I don't have to tinker with'em usually. I've seen people twist and twist their needles, run it up, twist and twist their needles, run it up, all day long (in the pits of course, right next to you, your friend, or some other poor guy trying to enjoy his day without the unessasary racket). Then you try to offer them some help because you feel bad for them, cuzz you know it's gotta suck, and you know that you can set it up for'em in 5 mins or less. That's if he's willing to listen to your advice, and take it. Oh yeah, and there isn't some weird azz pin hole air leak, you can't see in the carb or lines somewhere, or a fuel tank that's mounted 3" below the needle valves. Sorry for the crazy-man rant (Its' genetic. At least, that's what the voices in my head tell me), but I see this go on way too frequently.

Any opinions out there? Is it a bad mixed bag in QC for the TT's, a not so great design, a stigma from the QC of earlier of TT engines, or a lot of operator error?

Mike
Sure is a lot of people out there buying helis, building them, and never starting, flying. or crashing them. They sit in their shop gathering dust until they get the urge to sell them to a lucky buyer at a great discount.

Personally, I buy new or from people I know.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
evilhorse

the 60's will fade into black pretty soon i think, the 50 has almost the same performance, but still cost only a little bit more than a .30 initially, and the parts are only a few bucks apart in cost individually. Just my .02
Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM
rcjon

ORIGINAL: Rudder Dragger

Mike
Sure are a lot of people out there buying helis, building them, and never starting, flying. or crashing them. The machines sit in their shop gathering dust until the owner gets the urge to sell them to a lucky buyer at a great discount.

Personally, I buy new or from people I know.

(Edited for clarity)
Old 04-19-2008, 09:13 PM
[]TEX[]

Even though you had some good advice, I think you are going to do what you want anyway.

I don't own a 60, only the 50. With what I know now, I wouldn't even touch a 60. I'll be getting a 90 soon or the 700.

With that 'cheap' deal your getting a bum engine so expect to buy a new one.

Just my .02
Old 04-19-2008, 10:01 PM
evilhorse

i went flying today, a new guy bought a used V1 with a futaba 9C and a TT36, the engine is no good.
We Spent 2.5 hrs trying to get this poor guy in the air, and in the end, he didnt save anything.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: evilhorse

i went flying today, a new guy bought a used V1 with a futaba 9C and a TT36, the engine is no good.
We Spent 2.5 hrs trying to get this poor guy in the air, and in the end, he didnt save anything.
Exactly the type of agrivation I try to save people by telling them to buy decent equipment up front. The look of realization that they could have spent less money overall and gotten more satisfaction if they had just spent a few more bucks up front is one I'm all too familiar with.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 AM
badazzbusa

The sad thing is it happens with new helis as much as old ones. I guy came to our field awhile back with a new heli the local hobby store sold him. They told him it was all top notch equipment and the best "new" heli on the market. Not trying to bash anyones heli, but it was a kinetic 50, hyper 50, std. analog servos and a GY240 (I forgot the make of the tail servo). The Kinetic isn't that bad, but far from the best. The Hyper was a good buy, but overpriced at the hobby store where he got it, and a GY240 for the tail??????? By the way, NOBODY AT THAT HOBBY STORE HAS EVER FLOWN A HELI!!!!!
We got him in the air, but if he sticks with it some new equipment will be in his future.
The TX they sold him was the 6ch. Futaba, also.????
Old 04-20-2008, 11:02 AM
evilhorse

yeah it is true, i always tell ANY prospective new pilot, BUY NEW. Yes, its more money up front, but you get equipment that with a proper setup WILL fly Properly that way he/she has a positive experience coming into this new hobby, and also later on knows what to look for as far as wear in a used heli if they decide to buy one later.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:04 AM
[]TEX[]

agreed!