Search
Notices

Rabid Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
navyav8tr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rabid Raptor

I have no other way to describe my heli as a rabid raptor right now. I have a Raptor 50v2 with an OS 50 Hyper and JR 9303 radio. When I start the thing up the the clutch engages and it goes at full throttle. The clutch liner is stripping and i won't stop untl I turn off the radio. The radio, I believe, is set to where it is supposed to be so I am just very confused as to what is going on. I am by no means a veteran with this stuff so any ideas suggestions is appreciated.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM
ferincr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rabid Raptor

1 Are you sure you don't have the throttle servo reversed?
2 What's your throttle curve look like?
3 With the engine off (but radio on) does the throttle arm moves when you move the stick?
If all the previous look correct make sure the carb is at idle when your stick is all the way down. Check the throttle end points.
Just some ideas[)]
Fernando
Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Look at the side of the carb by the throttle arm. There is a mark on the barrel and some marks on the carb case. When the marks line up at 12 o'clock the carb is closed, when the marks line up at 9 o'clock it is wide open. The arm moves counter clockwise to open the throttle. Make sure you are in normal mode. To correct your previous post, the engine goes full throttle then the clutch engages. And you stop it by turning off the radio????? You sound like you tried starting it more than once like this.
With the radio and heli powered up (not running) and the throttle trim centered, lower the collective stick (throttle), adjust the low end point in the radio so the mark on the barrel is just to the left of the 12 o'clock mark. Pull the throttle trim all the way down and make sure the carb fully closes (marks should line up). Go full collective and adjust the high end point so the marks at 9 o'clock line up and there is no binding. Now you are ready to start it with the collective all the way down and trim in the center. Once it's running you can adjust the low end point to get a good idle while you still leave the trim centered. Try to keep your end points close to 100%, if you are having to adjust it down to 50-60% to keep from binding, go in a hole on the servo arm.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:49 AM
navyav8tr

Thanks. I only tried to start it up once and that was enough for me. Good info guys, I appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: navyav8tr

Thanks. I only tried to start it up once and that was enough for me. Good info guys, I appreciate it.
I need to say this because I feel I need to look out for your well being and keep you out of the news.

If you do not know what you are doing, PLEASE get local help. There are a number of ways to find local heli pilots that will be willing to help you. Do not be so prowd of yourself that you can't ask for help.

[link]http://pilotlocator.net/[/link]
[link]http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx[/link]

I hope these links will keep you out of the hospital and out of the news. Less news makes a better hobby for the rest of us.

Rafael
Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 AM
navyav8tr

Rafael,
I have been flying helis for 2 years and actually flying F/A-18s for the Navy for 12 years so believe me I appreciate your concern but I am not going to do something to embarass myself, degrade the hobby, or hurt someone or myself. I haven't flown my heli for about 6 months due to being deployed so I just got it out last night and it went "rabid" on me. Ended up the kids had messed with the throttle arm while I was gone. I was just looking for a quick answer or suggestions. Thanks anyway
Old 04-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rafael,
I have been flying helis for 2 years and actually flying F/A-18s for the Navy for 12 years so believe me I appreciate your concern but I am not going to do something to embarass myself, degrade the hobby, or hurt someone or myself. I haven't flown my heli for about 6 months due to being deployed so I just got it out last night and it went "rabid" on me. Ended up the kids had messed with the throttle arm while I was gone. I was just looking for a quick answer or suggestions. Thanks anyway
Glad you found the actual problem, and that you have experience with rc helicopters. As you progress in the hobby, you will notice that the check lists that you use in the Navy before take-off, still apply to the little guys we fly at home. Make up one for your particular model and you will not have "rabid" Raptors anymore.

Good luck with your Raptor.

Rafael
Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for your service and Welcome back home!!!!

If you are free one weekend, drive west for a hour and lets do some flying.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 PM
[]TEX[]

Ended up the kids had messed with the throttle arm while I was gone. I was just looking for a quick answer or suggestions. Thanks anyway
Not trying to make matters worse, but you need check your equipment every time before flight. Doing that prevents the previously posted.

Good Luck.