Search
Notices

Raptor 60 vs. Raptor 90

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 AM
pappy35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 60 vs. Raptor 90

I'm looking to upgrade from my T-Rex 450 and Beam E4 and finally feel proficient enough to invest in a real bird. Of course I'm looking at the newer designs but not being one to follow the crowd I thought I'd ask about the trusty ol' reliable Raptors.

I have mastered hovering in all upright attitudes, FFF, and simple aerobatics (flips, rolls, loops). Being an IMAC/Pattern planker precision flight appeals to me so I see myself heading to F3C-type flying. Finally, I'm looking for a big bird for their visibility and stability.

So questions for this forum are....
[ul][*] Money is somewhat tight and I can save some up front cost by getting a 60. Given my capability and goals, would it make sense to get the 60? [*] Is it's performance good enough that I can use it to grow and eventually move up to a more aggressive 90? [*] Is there any real advantage to CCPM vs. the Raptor's control set-up? [*] Can I run the OS70 on lower-nitro fuel and is it any more fuel-efficient that the bigger 90-sized engines (I'm a YS fan).
[/ul]
Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Raptor 60 vs. Raptor 90

ORIGINAL: pappy35

I'm looking to upgrade from my T-Rex 450 and Beam E4 and finally feel proficient enough to invest in a real bird. Of course I'm looking at the newer designs but not being one to follow the crowd I thought I'd ask about the trusty ol' reliable Raptors.

I have mastered hovering in all upright attitudes, FFF, and simple aerobatics (flips, rolls, loops). Being an IMAC/Pattern planker precision flight appeals to me so I see myself heading to F3C-type flying. Finally, I'm looking for a big bird for their visibility and stability.

So questions for this forum are....
[ul][*] Money is somewhat tight and I can save some up front cost by getting a 60. Given my capability and goals, would it make sense to get the 60? [*] Is it's performance good enough that I can use it to grow and eventually move up to a more aggressive 90? [*] Is there any real advantage to CCPM vs. the Raptor's control set-up? [*] Can I run the OS70 on lower-nitro fuel and is it any more fuel-efficient that the bigger 90-sized engines (I'm a YS fan).
[/ul]
Thanks in advance for your replies!
If money is tight stay away from big helicopters
Performance is ok but IMO not as good as a 50 with a hyper and a good pipe. They are bigger so they have more presence and auto better but not remarkably so.
There's advantages to both single servo and CCPM and I don't think one stands head and shoulders above the other except in certain situations.
Yes the 70 is more fuel efficent and a nice power upgrade for a 60 but its not a 90.