Notices

Raptor 30 roll rate???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:40 PM
kouger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 roll rate???

Hi all
Need some help/advise please with regards to the Ratpor 30 (the first ones made, no upgrades.
Did my first roll 3 weeks ago and have done a couple since - still have the heli in once pice
Question, it seems to roll very slowly. I have the maximum travel I could put in the servos befor the swash begins to bind. If I set the ail to move all the way, then when I move the aileron and elev. together, the swash will bind and will not move up and down. So I have to reduce the amount of throw on the aileron and elev. This, I think, is what is preventing me from rolling faster.
I was looking at the links and the manual, and it shows that on the flybar control lever, the linkage ball should be placed on the inside holes.
If I move the ball to the outside holes, will this give me more roll rate and what elese would be affected by this.
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Raptor 30 roll rate???

Well first, bottoming out the swash in aileron can actually slow your roll rate by bogging the head speed, especially on a 30 unless you're running a strong engine like an OS 37 though even that has its limits.

Set the collective to 0, put the blades out straight fore/aft and give full right rudder and measure the pitch, you're looking for somewhere between 7 and 8 degrees of cyclic pitch, 7 is probably what closer on a 30

Turn the blades 90 degrees and check the elevator.

Yes moving it to the outside holes will make it more sensitive, so will harder dampeners and lighter (green) paddles. It will also make it feel squirelly in fast forward flight if the CG isnt correct or the paddles aren't aligned perfectly.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 AM
kouger-RCU

OK, set the collective to 0 and checked the pitch with full right and left ail - I am getting about 6 or 7 degrees. Tested the elevator and getting 6 degrees.
You said that moving to the outside holes will make it more sensitive, will it make it roll faster? Not too concerned about the sensitivity, just want it to roll quickly - have to change my pants every time I do a roll
Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
evilhorse

i would think it would give you a little bit more throw, hence increasing the roll rate, bear in mind this is a V1.
the hed is sloppy(er). also what engine/headspeed are you running, increasing the headspeed will get you more authority on the controls.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:45 PM
kouger-RCU

My headspeed is about 1650 to 1700 at hover. I don't know what it is at full throttle which is where I generally fly when doing a loop and roll. I am sure that it is not much more than that due to the increased pitch. Don't forget, this is only a 32 OS engine. I am going to try the green paddles also. Was hoping to get some before the weekend but no luck. Will have to try it next weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the help. Will let you know what the outcome is.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 PM
evilhorse

yeah the .32's key feature is reliability, not performance, strap in a .37 and watch her wake up.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM
FlyingHigh 400
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: evilhorse

yeah the .32's key feature is reliability, not performance, strap in a .37 and watch her wake up.
I took advice from evilhorse and was very happy.Heres my Raptor 30 with the O.S 32 and O.S 37..Click watch in high quality at the bottom right of the video cause it comes in better..

O.S 32-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl05p...e=channel_page .I allmost lost it in that video cause the motor bogged soo bad and heres one more right before I put the O.S 37 in it -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyJi...e=channel_page .I allmost lost it at the end of that video too cause it bogged so bad.You can hear how bad it bogs in both videos and it wants to fall out of the sky everytime I fliped it.

Heres the O.S 37.Nothing bad at all to say about it at all.Tons of power and I could do flip after flip with it no problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_sDw...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93DB1...e=channel_page

Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
kouger-RCU

FlyingHigh 400 - thanks for the links, cool video.
What is your pitch curve?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 PM
FlyingHigh 400
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: kouger-RCU

FlyingHigh 400 - thanks for the links, cool video.
What is your pitch curve?
To be honest I cant remember cause I sold the heli 4 months ago.I know the pitch was set at 11+/11- .
Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 AM
kouger-RCU

Update - well I moved the the flybar control lever linkage ball to the outside, but did not notice any difference. So the next step was to get the green paddles - all I can say is WOW. Made a huge difference.
The roll was much quicker and the heli was a lot more sensitive. The elevator and ailerons were so sensistive, had to put in 25% expo. It is like a new heli.
I think this is exactly what I wanted - just short of buying a new engine or heli. I am not advanced enough for any major 3D but I am starting to do more rolls and trying to hang it inverted when going into a loop. Only problem I face is that when doing the loop and hanging it, I am so high up that it is difficult to see the heli - scared to do it lower.
Anyway, thanks to all for your help.
Appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
krisma

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flying,
what is your configuration. I still consider myself a n00b and am looking for that perfect setup. Pitch, lengths, etc...