Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Osirisf16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blades

I wanna ask what is the difference between those 2:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10796

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18714

Does the wood blades want something to do with before flying? 50 dollars is way too much difference because the one is carbon and the other is wood, don't you think??
Old 03-01-2009, 10:29 AM
USA_1_INK

Default RE: Blades

The wood blades are good for just general flying . and mild 3D . they will not handle the high headspeed above 1800 rpm. Just make sure you use thin CA around the blade bosses . let it soak in the wood to bond the root . then Med. CA the blade bosses. The Carbon Fiber blades are Good for extreme 3D flying . They will handle the higher headspeeds 1800- 2100 rpm . Just have to reach deeper in the pocket . Just depends want level of flying you plan on doing . And what level you are flying at .

USA_1_INK
Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Osirisf16

I'm a beginner dude. This CA thing you just told me, what is the purpose? And what exactly is this "bosses" you are telling me?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 AM
USA_1_INK

The bosses are the black plastic caps . Use the Thin CA in and around the holes where the black plastic caps are glued . You will see the CA glue weep thru the wood giving a better bond . You might have to take a drill reem the hole where the boss caps fit inside the blade . Its not a good thing to throw a blade . it can be dangerous for you ,or the people around you .

USA_1_INK
Old 03-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Osirisf16

Yeah, this is the most dangerous part. Do you have ever seen a wooden blade being throwed while is spinning at high speed? Better buy carbon ones even if they drill a big hole in my pocket
Old 03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

I've seen (no it wasn't me) a spindle bolt come out and both blades leave the heli while in idle up doing 3-d.
Now that was funny!!!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:25 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a beginner dude.
Dont buy carbons. If you are new, You'll be be better off with wood blades too practice on. There is no reason you cant use the wood ones and they are the same if you practice correct assembly. Everybody uses them for general flying when beginning out. If they were not safe, companies would not manufacture, sell and include in there kits.
But it depends on the company that produces them. Some are horrible and should be only used a paint stir sticks.
These are good
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=803415

As stated above - Just make sure you glue the plastic pieces that come with the wooden blades to the blades before install.
You do not have to use CA - You can use epoxy if you have it on hand already.

Also: something that was not mentioned. Put the black plastic piece on the blade and trace around it with a pen take it off and cut the piece of plastic covering if it has some / generally has a clear plastic cover./ off the blade to allow glueing to the wood. make sure not to cut into the wood.

You will feel much happier when you tip it over or scuff / chip the blades with wooden rather than carbons. You will go through 3 pairs for the cost of 1 carbon set.

Also, You dont have to spend that much on Carbons to get Quality 3D blades.

Check these: I use them and so do a bunch of other guys when you step up and are ready for more aggresive, piro's, inverted etc...
http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=802140

They have others, if you like the black Carbon look.

Hope this helps, Jw

Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Osirisf16

I can buy from Amain. Is there a good enough set there to buy?