Notices

First 50 Heli

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
mydartswinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 50 Heli

Good evening fellow Raptor pilots.

I've been dabbling with helicopters for about 2 years, starting with co-axials and moving up to motor driven tail CP's and FP's (having little luck), then working on the simulator before moving into a Blade 400. I started getting decent hovering with the 400, but my real progress didn't start until I started flying a Hirobo Shuttle ZXX 30 size. About 2 weeks ago, I finally started with forward flight. I then realized that the Shuttle wasn't going to get me much further than forward/backward/sideways flight, and began looking at 50 and 90 size helis to step up to. Fast forward to this morning, and I find an add on another forum for a Raptor 50 V2 for sale about an hour and a half drive from me. I contacted the seller, a deal was struck, and I was on my way to pick her up.

Here's her specs:
[ul][*] 1- Raptor 50 V.2 Kit [*] 1- Set of Custom Vinly Graphics for Canopy & Tail Feathers[*] 1- Metal upgrade Swashplate[*] 1- Rotor Hub w/Button 50 SE[*] 1- Upgrade red Dampers[*] 1- 600mm carbon fiber Thunder Tiger blades[*] 1- Autorotation Tail Drive Gear[*] 1- Set of KBDD Tail Blades[*] 1- New 1800 Mah Sub C Battery[*] 3- JR DS 811 servos[*] 1- JR DS 8311 servo[*] 1- Futaba 401 and 9254 Gyro Combo[*] 1- JR Heavy Duty Power Switch[*] 1- OS Max SX 50 Engine[*] 1- Raptor upgrade Muffler[*] 1- Metal Stab. Arm set Fly bar[*] 1- White Light Weight Paddle[*] 1- Remote glow Adapter[*] 1- carbon fiber frame stiffener # PV0326[*] 1- Set of Skid Stops[*] 1- Volt Watch on Board Battery Monitor[*] 1- Push / Pull Elevator upgrade
[/ul]

For my first few flights, I'll probably throw on a set of wood blades to get comfortable with her before I fly her with the carbons. I'll probably also replace the DS811 servos with DS8311 servos.

Any advice for setup changes? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: First 50 Heli

I have been told that the 811 servos are not recommended for heli's. Probably ok for a while if you're not an agressive pilot. Someone will probably jump in and clarify the servo story.

Good lookin' chopper. Have fun.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM
mydartswinger

Thanks.

Yeah, I've been told that the DS821s aren't for 50 size helis, and the 811s are even lower spec. The discontinued listing on Horizon says they're OK for 30 size trainer helis, but doesn't say anything about 50's. I would assume that they're not worthwhile for a 50, that's why I've already decided that very soon they will be replaced with 8311 servos.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

They will work on a 50 and not fail like the 821's can though they certainly aren't thilling.

Make sure its got the upgraded tail hub, PV0499 The quick way to check is to look at the tail hub, if you can see two set screws holding the hub to the shaft its good to go. If not then its got two grub screws that go through the grips and hold the bearings on and also holds the hub to the output shaft, this you will want to replace asap with the SUS PV0499 hub
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 AM
mydartswinger

Thanks Barracuda,

I took her up to the LHS last night and talked a bit and had the owner check her over. He said that the 811's would pose no problem until I choose (and am ready) for 3D or other aggressive flying. He said loops, rolls, etc... would be fine with the 811's. While there, I also picked up a set of TT Raptor 600mm woodies to save the carbons while I get comfortable with her.

I just checked the tail rotor hub, it looks like it's not the upgraded hub. What's the disadvantages of the stock hub vs. the upgraded hub? Is the stock hub fine to fly with as long as I don't get aggressive? I haven't progressed into 3D, or even any inverted flight or aerobatics. If I do start going inverted this weekend (not likely, but possible if I feel comfortable enough to do so), it would only be stuff like loops, rolls, and stall turns. All of those maneuvers I am comfortable with on the sim and with fixed wing, but have never attempted with a real RC heli. Either way, I'll go this evening to pick up the upgraded hub, or at least place it on order (not many heli pilots locally, so they don't always stock everything for them. However, they do stock Hirobo and TT parts, just not a full line of them).

While I was at the LHS, a gentleman was in there that also flies helis, including a Rappy. I was blown away by his impression of this bird. With the deal I got on it, he said I should've run away like I stole it. He thought so highly of it, that he took a pic of it with his cell phone. Though I already could tell it, they both said that she was clean and well taken care of.

Thanks again for helping out this Raptor noob.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 AM
BarracudaHockey

The disadvantage of the stock hub is that tail rotor blades tend to whiz past your ear now and then. This induces an uncontrolled, out of balance piro. Remember the 50 has a driven tail so even when you hit throttle hold the tail is still spinning out of balance and out of control while the helicopter is shaking up and down till it hits the ground.

Had it happen twice, once resulted in a re-kit and other I was in a hover and hit TH and landed before any damage could happen.

It doesn't matter what kind of flying you're doing I'd recommend replacing it straight away, its like 8 bucks and IMO all the kits should ship with this part.

The stock setup will work IF the grub screws aren't over torqued AND the tail has never hit the ground or been bumped while putting the heli in the car. The grub screw shears off flush with the shoulder of the hub and the tail blade, bearings, and grip leave the helicopter at a high rate of speed.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
mydartswinger

Dang, I had no idea how bad it could be. However, my LHS doesn't have the upgrade in stock. They'll be ordering it in the morning when they call ACE. I'll probably put a couple of flights on her this Saturday whether I can get the part or not, at least for 1 or 2 gentle flights (I know, you said it doesn't matter how I fly it).

Thanks again for the advice. I'll be installing the upgraded hub as soon as it comes in.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
bryce funnell

hi all i just brought raptor 50 with thunder tiger h53 more hp than os,my query is do i put the washer on main drive or leave it out?also what fuel do you use in the thunder tiger?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
BarracudaHockey

No washer.