Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Battery question

Hello everyone i've had my raptor 50v2 sitting for 4 years and want to get her on the air again for this spring coming up, what would i need to do? Last time i used her she was perfect flying wise, i drained all the fuel out the engine and battery was pretty full. i know it must be dead by now. The battery on the radio still has some charge but i know is dead. My question is do i need to get new batteries for everything? Or are these batteries good to reuse? The radio (T9CHP) has a nickel 9.6v-700mah battery and the heli has nickel 4.8-1000mah. And no i didn't store the batteries in the freeze to hold the charge, i should have but i didn't know that info. till recently Sorry but am clueless when it comes to batteries :-\
    Am at the corner of Walk and Dont walk!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Battery question

I don't think a frezer would have been able to help your batteries if they have been sitting for 4 years.

The best route would be to get new batteries. Otherwise, get a battery cycler and cycle the batteries checking for their capacity.

Rafael
    Keep your eyes on the sky but your feet on the ground!
    Team Heliproz.com / AMA # 8109

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cycle the batteries,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unfortunately yes they been sitting for 4 years :-\ but cant do anything about it now. Cycling the battery means to drain it and charge it again right? I did some research and found out that these NiCD batteries need to be fully discharge for storage. Am "cycling" my batteries right now as i type. Am going to charge it fully and then drain it before checking the max Volt it gives me so i can store it till spring.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry forgot to add.. Drain it with Futaba BR-2000 Battery Checker/Discharger [sm=thumbup.gif]
    Which i already have.. The battery cycle is a little too pricey for now, maybe later

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Wakko0o

sorry forgot to add.. Drain it with Futaba BR-2000 Battery Checker/Discharger [sm=thumbup.gif]
    Which i already have.. The battery cycle is a little too pricey for now, maybe later
    The device you are using, to cycle should give you the total mAh that went into the pack. You take that number and compare it to the rated capacity of the pack. If you still have 80% or more, you should be fine for a while, but start shopping for a new battery pack.

With the Futaba device, you do not get any amperage numbers. You are doing things blind. If you are going to use the batteries, I recommend using this checker before EVERY flight.

Rafael

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for the info Rafael, yea I'll use my battery but like you said I will search for new ones. And for my checker, yes I will have it handy on the field. Thank you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's going to cheaper to get some batteries than to fix your helicopter and a whole lot easier to install.

www.hangtimes.com

My advice, replace them.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone have a good idea how to drain a 9.6v radio battery? I have the BR-2000 but that's only made for 4.8/6.0/7.2v NOT 9.6v. Is there any other way but leaving the radio ON. That might take a day or 2. :-(

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can leave it on but MAKE SURE the antenna is all the way extended. Won't take two days, I had to put a lipo in my 9C because it would need charging at the field during a good day of flying.

Did you see what I said earlier about replacing the batteries?
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

You can leave it on but MAKE SURE the antenna is all the way extended. Won't take two days, I had to put a lipo in my 9C because it would need charging at the field during a good day of flying.

Did you see what I said earlier about replacing the batteries?
    no I didn't see it but got to it right now.. Ok I'll just get new ones, I'd rather get it than to fix the whole heli. :-/ so leave the radio ON with antenna extended. What's the difference with antenna down or up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dude I just visited that website you showed me and went to there contact us link and found out there in Long Island, NY not to far where am from. Don't know how to Thank you but THANKS A MILLION! Will definately visit them during spring time to get some batteries and other stuff. Again thank you sooo much man!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.......so leave the radio ON with antenna extended. What's the difference with antenna down or up.
    Again best advise would be to replace ALL the batteries, including the ones for the radio.

With the antenna up, all the radiation energy (remember that box is a radio) goes into the air as it is supposed to. With the antenna down, the radiation energy is absorbed as heat on the transmitter circuit of the radio, potentially leading to damage.

Rafael

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YEA, and heli parts are cheap

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the help you guys... Ok planning on just getting all the batteries brand new. BTW heli parts are cheap! What's hard is setting everything up to fly. Which I don't know how to. Thank u again everyone