Notices

Engine dies mid-air

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:36 AM
AndersE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies mid-air

I fly a R30 V1 with a TT36
The last 7-8 flights have all ended the unplesant way. The engine dies, and I find myself auto:ing down.

What's causing the engine to die?
It's not too rich or too lean, it's running fine up until it just stops.

I've checked (and replaced to be sure) all the fuel lines (and clunk lines).

I use a header tank.

Could it be a sudden loss of fuel pressure? (leaking exhaust gasket...?)

Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2003, 02:21 PM
tindra

What about the glowpug?
Peter
Old 07-21-2003, 02:40 PM
SuperSteve54

How long does it fly before the engine stops? Does it stop if you're only hovering? When you say it's not lean, did you check the temp., or only by judging from the smoke? Do you have a lot of fuel/oil on the inside of the frames/top of the fuel tank?
Old 07-21-2003, 05:55 PM
AndersE

Originally posted by tindra
What about the glowpug?
Peter

No, I've tried several new OS #8 plugs. Didn't help
Old 07-21-2003, 05:59 PM
AndersE

Originally posted by SuperSteve54
How long does it fly before the engine stops? Does it stop if you're only hovering? When you say it's not lean, did you check the temp., or only by judging from the smoke? Do you have a lot of fuel/oil on the inside of the frames/top of the fuel tank?

About 5-8 minutes.
I've been flying around most of the time, then stopping and hovering a bit. That's when the engine dies.

I haven't actually checked the temperature, and didn't notice if there was a lack of smoke, but rather that I had full power until the engine just quit.

Other times when the needle had been set too lean, there was a noticable loss of power, but no cut-out.

Yes, there is a lot of oil on the inside of the frame and on the tank, but that's probably because I don't clean it that often
Old 07-21-2003, 06:06 PM
gwinhh-RCU

Richen the engine out about 1/4 turn. If it helps, tune in leaner (about 5-600 rpm if you have a tach. Sounds like the engine won't pull fuel UP against gravity. Have you checked the engine full throttle, holding the plane vertical?? howell
Old 07-21-2003, 09:47 PM
SuperSteve54

Sounds like the engine won't pull fuel UP against gravity.
I agree with Howel that it seems as if you're getting a problem as the fuel is used up, however you say you are running a header tank. Have never used one, but shouldn't having one mean more consistent fuel flow for the whole tank?

Yes, there is a lot of oil on the inside of the frame and on the tank, but that's probably because I don't clean it that often
LOL, I'm not criticising your cleaning regieme! The reason I ask is that the TT36 is known to have a dodgy front bearing seal. A lot will start to leak significant amounts of raw fuel out through the bearing - having a lot of 'clean' looking oil on the top of the tank and inside the frames is an indication the bearing seal is gone. This might tie up with what Howell said, as the tank runs down you're gettting fuel starvation, compounded by the leaky bearing.

I would try richening the engine as a test. Open the needle to the point where it's just about too rich to fly and see if the problem still occurs. If it doesn't, then gradually close the needle to the optimum setting and see at what point the problem re-occurs.

Of course I could be completely wrong in all this.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:58 AM
AndersE

Originally posted by gwinhh
Richen the engine out about 1/4 turn. If it helps, tune in leaner (about 5-600 rpm if you have a tach. Sounds like the engine won't pull fuel UP against gravity. Have you checked the engine full throttle, holding the plane vertical?? howell

(It's not a plane, so using that technique for checking high-end rpm won't work)

Anyway, it seems to have helped to richen the engine... Did two flights yesterday, and the engine was running fine.

Originally posted by SuperSteve54

LOL, I'm not criticising your cleaning regieme! The reason I ask is that the TT36 is known to have a dodgy front bearing seal. A lot will start to leak significant amounts of raw fuel out through the bearing - having a lot of 'clean' looking oil on the top of the tank and inside the frames is an indication the bearing seal is gone. This might tie up with what Howell said, as the tank runs down you're gettting fuel starvation, compounded by the leaky bearing.

Ok, but I don't see how this could be the cause of the problem.
I mean, the engine was running just fine up until the point where it just quit. If the engine was too lean, it should have shown the usual symptoms; no or little smoke, really unwilling to rev up, loss of power, etc...

(I did change all the fuel lines as well, but couldn't see anything wrong with the old ones.)
Old 07-24-2003, 04:09 PM
snowflyer

Default I had the same problem

Check the three bolts on the engine backplate.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:31 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounded lean to me too. Seems like you got it though. Richened it up and no more problem. Good deal. Have a blast with it now.

I got a temp gauge from Heliproz. haven't installed it yet but it is pretty cool and will give you good temp readings for setting the needle. Not something you need, but my boss really likes it and I think I will too. I have always set it by sound but will see how this works to see how close I was.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:43 AM
AndersE

Default Re: I had the same problem

Originally posted by snowflyer
Check the three bolts on the engine backplate.
What about the fourth?
You ARE talking about the bolts acessible from below, right?
Old 07-25-2003, 11:45 AM
snowflyer

Default the fourth

Yes, but the fourth one never comes loose
Old 07-25-2003, 09:28 PM
BIGBARPER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

Check out curtis youngbloods web site re eng temps.

The smaller engines back plate temp should run hot getting cooler the bigger the engine, worked a treat for me, richened my OS50 until the back plate ran quite cool.

Also check your rotor rpm, most run far to high with the enginhe over reving and over heating.

good luck.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:46 AM
AndersE

I think I might have solved my engine problems ...for now anyway.

I just ordered a TT39PRO from Cyberheli. At $80 it's almost free!