Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

painting a spinner

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

painting a spinner

Old 08-01-2003, 01:56 AM
oakman40
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting a spinner

I needed a 2-1/2" yellow spinner for 3 bladed prop and you can only get them in white or black, I need to paint it yellow but the electric starter takes the paint of every time, dues any one have any ideal.
Thanks
yvon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98108_21496.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	56009  
Old 08-01-2003, 07:43 AM
rorywquin

Default Re: painting a spinner

Originally posted by oakman40
I needed a 2-1/2" yellow spinner for 3 bladed prop and you can only get them in white or black, I need to paint it yellow but the electric starter takes the paint of every time, dues any one have any ideal.
Thanks
yvon
I have the same problem but the spinner left a neat ring which, people thought I had done deliberately!
Old 08-01-2003, 09:28 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Use a "Chicken Stick".

-Mustang51
Old 08-01-2003, 11:15 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try 2 or 3 coats of clear over the yellow?
Dennis-
Old 08-01-2003, 12:00 PM
oakman40

Default spinner

Thanks I'l try the clear coat
yvon
Old 08-01-2003, 02:57 PM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

Did you sand the spinner before you painted it the first time, that could be why the paint is not staying on.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:56 AM
oakman40

Yes ! I sanded with 400 grit sand paper.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:54 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing you do will stop that. Consider this... When you use an electric starter, MOST of the time, you will wear the part of the spinner that the cup comes in contact with. But if it's a yellow spinner, as you wear away the top layer, it's still yellow underneath. But if it's a white spinner painted yellow, when the top layer wears off, it's white underneath.

So either get used to the white ring, or use a chicken stick.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:00 PM
bighawg

BOK BOK BOK BOK...CLUCK! CHICKEN STICK! PC OF HEATER HOSE ON A DOWEL...........
Old 09-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: painting a spinner

This was my experience as well. I sanded, I painted and I sealed over and over again. I found that if I changed the spinner cup a couple of times a year that helped as the HD Foam cup hardens over time, especially if it's exposed to sunlight (and glow fuel).

This year I learned to do a little better job of priming and tuning my motors and as BIGHAWG stated BOK BOK BOK. My starter officially collects dusts and my chicken stik never leaves a ring on my shiny painted spinner.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:00 AM
ratherbflyin

I have a white spinner that l need to change,
l wonder if a color dye would work and actually get
into the plastic[sm=confused.gif]
Any thoughts?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:47 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

I doubt if the dye would be strong enough to reach the "darkness" of yellow color that you are seeking.

I was wondering about a "U" shaped contraption screwed to the Sullivan which did not touch the spinner, just engaged the prop blades. The "U"'s legs would have to be covered with pipe insulation. Could be tricky and probably require an airplane holder/helper. Any thoughts for this wacko-idea/???????
Old 11-13-2003, 10:10 PM
DBCherry

I don't think setting up a starter so that it pushes directly on the prop blades is a great idea. You would be placing stress on the blades and could weaken them.
Dennis-
Old 11-14-2003, 12:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Although I have never used this product to paint a spinner I do use it quite often. I own a computer shop and part of what we do is help local users mod their cases. This includes providing parts and assistance to the users. This product is used to color the plastic parts on their computers. Notice that I said color and not paint because this isn't "paint", rather it is actually a dye. It dyes the plastic to the color you want. If you start with a white spinner and use yellow dye it should take care of your problem. Since the plastic is dyed the color is spread throughout the plastic and can't be scratched off like paint. Since you plastic is now all yellow and scratches or deformities caused by your starter will be yellow like the rest of the plastic.

The product is from Plasti-kote and is called Vinyl Color. Look for it at auto parts stores, lowe's, and home depot.

here is a picture of a can of the product.

Picture of a keyboard that was finished with this. The keyboard was orginially white.

I am pretty sure this will solve your problem. I swear by it for use on computer plastic parts.

hope this helps
Old 11-14-2003, 04:37 PM
CafeenMan

I didn't read all the replies here so this may have already been mentioned. I've painted several aluminum spinners using hardware store enamel and it NEVER came off with a starter.

First, I attach the spinner to a stud and chuck it in my drill. Then I spray it. When it's done, I put the stud in a pair of vice grips and put it in the oven on 200 for a couple hours. Turn off the oven and leave the spinner inside it until it cools.

I never used any kind of primer and they hold up very well.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Madd_Maxx

oakman40:

You might want to give Rit fabric dye a try on a white spinner....it can be found at most wal-mart or similar stores (grocery stores sometimes even have it). I've been using this dye on my white plastic T-Maxx rims for the last few years and it holds up great against the nitro fuel and the bashing the rims take on the truck. My expecience with rit dye is that it penetrates the plastic well enough that it can't be scratched off no matter how hard I try....the last rims I did in purple and they still look like they did (other than a few scratches) right after I got done dying them. The only thing you want to do is make sure that the spinner is clean and you use an old pan that you won't be using anymore since the dye will permanately stain the pan (metal or not).

Just take your old pan (1-2 quart size will do) fill it with water and add the rit dye and stir to disolve the dye completely. Bring the water to a boil then add your spinner and let it in there till it gets about the color you want to get (take it out when it's a little lighter than you want since it will darken slightly when it dries). Make sure you put both pieces in at the same time (nosecone and back plate) that way they will be the same color when your finished.

Hope that helps,
Madd_Maxx