Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA Activator Spray Nozzle Clogs

Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 PM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CA Activator Spray Nozzle Clogs

I use a lot of CA and like to speed up my building with the CA activator or accelerator spray. I have used the Bob Smith brand for years and have recently started using the Great Planes brand. All of these come with a manual spray nozzle that atomizes the liquid. I can only get about half of the bottle used before the nozzle quits spraying a fine mist and just shoots a stream. Not a good way to use the product. I assume the liquid is plugging the nozzle but can't find anything that will unclog the nozzle. I've tried water, soapy water, alcohol, lacquer thinner, acetone, paint thinner, Goo Gone, etc.

Any body have any ideas?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM
mikegordon10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: CA Activator Spray Nozzle Clogs

I know just what ya mean. I thought maybe it was because I use very little and the sprayer had gotten old. Sounds like that ain't it. I have no answers - wish I did.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:03 AM
prgonzalez

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Same issue here...however, this problem started for me after I have refilled the bottle two times.

I will see if I can find a solution.

Pedro
Old 12-09-2010, 07:29 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wipe the face of it off with a paper towel after each build session. I think the problem is right at the tip of the nozzle and this seams to help.

David
Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CA activator is a solvent to some plastics, and packagers of the activator tend to not know (or ignore) this. If they use the wrong plastic, it will disolve, and clog.

Les
Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't like to spray the stuff anyway. When you spray it, it gets all over the place and if you need to apply more CA to the same area within the next few days the residual activator can kick off the CA before you're ready.

I buy the bulk bottle and just keep a piece of pushrod wire in it. When I need kicker, I pull out the wire, dab a drop right on the CA and I'm good to go.

You use a lot less kicker that way too.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:01 PM
bullseye000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I don't like to spray the stuff anyway. When you spray it, it gets all over the place and if you need to apply more CA to the same area within the next few days the residual activator can kick off the CA before you're ready.

I buy the bulk bottle and just keep a piece of pushrod wire in it. When I need kicker, I pull out the wire, dab a drop right on the CA and I'm good to go.

You use a lot less kicker that way too.
It's amazing how many people spray this stuff on everything. I was at an indoor meet and used a small piece of tubing and one of our club members was amazed that that little amount kicked off the ca.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the feed back. I know about using the stuff one drop at a time and all of the other techniques to apply the CA Activator. I use all of them during my building, but there are times when I want to mist a large area. I'm still looking for a way to unplug the spray nozzle.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the activator disolved the plastic, the only thing you can do is replace it. A lot of aerosol cans have a small plastic insert in the nozzle that determines the flow and pattern. With some patience, this can be pried out, and you could replace the one in the activator spray (maybe)

Les