Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Canopy vacuum forming : Howto ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Canopy vacuum forming : Howto ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:49 PM
pval3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Keep this thread alive !

Hello all

thank you so much for all of your input . I have been trying to get a grip on making my own canopies for a DH Mosquito kit I am building for a while without luck...

I have one canopy but need to make a new one with more detailed frame work. If I were to cast the old canopy in resin then add some detail with pinstripe tape, would it come out or is it not thick enough??

Would plaster of paris be a better alternative for the mold of the canopy - since i already have something to start with??

As for the talk of foreign relations .. as for the talk about the French - - have any of you ever been lost on the NY City subway???????? no difference - the City does it to you whether it is NYC, Los Angeles, Miami, Berlin, Paris or Milan - the frenzy of living in the city brings out the worst - and best in all of us!
Old 04-05-2006, 09:02 AM
YAT-28E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Keep this thread alive !

pval,

I had a canopy that had issues, so Here is what I did...

1-supported the canopy on the outside to prevent it from buldging
1a make sure the inside is clean!
2-Mixed Plaster of Paris fairly thin and poured it in
3- use a stick and poke around to get rid of any air let cure
It should pop out with a little coaxing. I then primed and filled where needed and final primed and sanded with 320. I left all primer on. Then started to vacuum form.
Here is some more good info

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Vacu...2076969/tm.htm
Good Luck