Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

rustolium fuel proofing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

rustolium fuel proofing

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 AM
jojoegen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rustolium fuel proofing

Hi my friends,I have used rustolium high performance gloss white on a wing seam.Does this need to be fuel proofed?I also have minwax polyurethane in a spray.I read as much as I can on the subject but still don't know the answer.I do know about the yellowing and it's not a problem.Sure would appreciate any help.Thanx.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rustolium fuel proofing

I have never clear coated rustoleum. I use 10% nitro. No problems.
Edwin
Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Agree with Edwin.  Rustoleum gloss doesn't need any covering.  I too use 10% nitro.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 AM
jojoegen

Thank you so very much for your help.Both of you.Take care
Old 03-28-2011, 02:31 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that the Rustoleum spray paints do need a clear coat. The problem is not the paint surface which doesn't get attacked, it is the ends of the spray. Even if I do all the holes for carb needle and what not in a cowl before painting it with Rustoleum, eventually the fuel soaks in around the edges of cutouts and gets under the paint and softens it and wrinkles it up around the edges. The ones that I've clear coated with Minwax Helmsman don't suffer the problem. I use a club fuel that is 15%.

This problem might be stopped if painting both the inside and outside of a cowl.

On the other hand, I hand paint a firewall often with Rustoleum enamel (non aerosol) and it holds up without issue.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 PM
PatrickCurry

Didn't think about that, sounds logical.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Wilson4824

I have used the Rustoluem with no issues... Just make sure that you let it gas off ( cure) a few days before flying. The have used it up to 20% nitro.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had problems with grey many years back. But if let cure for about a week before putting fuel to it, solved the problem. I used it on the inside cabin area of a Decathalon. About a day later had a fuel tank leak when I filled up to test the engine. The grey wiped right off. Cleaned up and repainted with no problems on the inside. I used that grey later on the bottom of a P-40 with no problems around the exhaust area. Good point about the through holes. I never used it on firewalls, just thinned epoxy for fuel proofing.
Edwin
Old 04-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Wilson4824

I agree.. I use thined expoy on firewalls also... I have also used the rustoluem APPLIANCE EPOXY SPRAY. It great for firewalls and cowls also.
the down side is the limited color choices.
Check out website http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=101
Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 AM
PatrickCurry

Hey AA5BY, do you just use the regular Rustoleum in a quart or pint can like this?  http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=150   Do you still have to stick to just the gloss?  If Rustoleum hand brushed works, can I not just go to HD and buy something like Behr latex enamel and that work ok?  With the Minwax Helsman have you had a problem with it yellowing over time?