Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

OK I'm an idiot!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

OK I'm an idiot!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK I'm an idiot!

I had a day off today so I though I would drive the 120 miles round trip to Louisville to my "local" hobby shop for a roll of white Ultracote to patch up my old H9 Ultra Stick ARF so I could fly it tomorrow. When I got home I realized I grabbed a roll of transparent white- lite instead... DOH!!! I mean it looks white on the roll, what other color could it have been? I then shouting out some profanity to make me feel better (ever do that?) then went and sat down for a while. In my 25 years in RC airplanes that is not the first time I have done that (transparent orange looks like a cool red-orange color on the roll) but it is the longest, costliest drive ($3.65/gal for gas) I have made for that mistake. Someone else please tell me I'm not the only one, tell me there are others like me.[&o][&o] It was a Clark Griswald monent for sure.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: OK I'm an idiot!

man, that would be depressing ..
You might have been able to next day air the covering for the amount the gas cost..

A buddy and I once drove 3 hours to get a needed part for a mustang he was restoring, we got there and it was closed for presidents day ...That was a long drive for lunch...
Old 06-03-2011, 09:06 PM
crash bandicoute

i wouldn't say i make that 'mistake' often. i would call it more of an intentional do it to myself. i've gone on a 20 mile round trip (not nearly as bad as yours i feel for ya) i can't count how many times to pick up covering or whatever and let it sit for too long or come across a different trim design that i like better than the previous, and make another trip back to the LHS for a different color. not really the same catagory, but people do wierd things. i've purchased paint before that some little brat kid was playing with in the store and switching the caps on and didn't realize it til the can is warmed and the first bit of mist comes out of the nozzle. gas is too damn expensive.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not an idiot......come on

One question.....because your LHS, is 120miles away from you,

oh that's not a LOCAL HS ,

why don't you ask them to ship them via USPS or Greyhound ;
Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 AM
kargo

"PARTS" is a honorary "4 letter" word in my house...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:02 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Wile bored at my sister in law's house I decided to drive out to a hobby store. Got the address in the phone book, Huge half page ad with pics of all kinds of planes. Drove an hour and a half and came up to a little shop smaller than their ad in the phone book! They had no kits in the store and five crapply built used models hanging from the ceiling. Long drive back.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 AM
ceecrb1

I once flew from scotland, to norway, via amsterdam.... to film an interview with an international oil companies CEO...
Just to arrive to be told he was too busy that day.
We had lunch and went back to scotland.

These things happen..

Like my workmate says..
The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who does nothing.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Crash-RCU

Just opened a new roll yesterday of yellow Monokote that was bought about a year ago then not used, it too turned out to be transparent yellow. But it looks like solid yellow on the roll, I hate it when that happens, and I did use a couple of profane words. My LHS is only about 25 miles round trip though.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 PM
green river rc

ORIGINAL: Crash-RCU

Just opened a new roll yesterday of yellow Monokote that was bought about a year ago then not used, it too turned out to be transparent yellow. But it looks like solid yellow on the roll, I hate it when that happens, and I did use a couple of profane words. My LHS is only about 25 miles round trip though.
Yea it's going around for sure!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the process of getting my pilot's license, my first cross country, I landed at the wrong airport.

This means I was talking to ATC at a totally different airport.

Today it would have been an issue, but this was well over 35 years ago.

Talk about not paying attention.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: Crash-RCU
IMO, you can post an ad here, on RCU's marketplace and trade the transparent roll of Monokote with something different....
Old 06-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Aiden88

I know what you mean. A round trip my my house to my "LHS" is about 140 miles. Whenever I get lucky enough to get to go there I walk every aisle about four times and look at all the stuff. Inevitably I'll think of something I needed but didn't buy on my way home when I'm about 5 minutes from my house.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why not just go ahead and use the covering you had?  You can then cover it with other colors later? 
Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 PM
jsevey

I think it's a great time for a new multi-color patchwork scheme on your Stick. My LHS is a 150 mile round trip. I have learned to laugh at myself a lot. This hobby lowers my blood pressure- I have an Escapade with a few clear patches on it because that's what I had. Enjoy!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM
jimmyjames213

i gaveup on making the colors match, i just use what i have. when i build a plane i make it all purdy and it lasts for a year or so then the patches from props that go through the wings on the car rides or the doh when i drop a screwdriver through the wing, or that wing mounted servo decides to fail ect the patches take over and i just accept it.......means i actually fly the planes i own
now when i crash i plane or repair one heading for the trash bin and repair it i have alot of fun patching it with random colors (sometimes...depending on the plane)
Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 PM
AmishWarlord

I'm with Jimmy on this one. Red is red. So what if the cowl is two shades darker than the covering. Who was that guy on here that spent like three months getting his plane just right, sanding and repainting all the glass parts so the covering matched perfectly. Then lost his plane the first week doing stupid stunts with it? You don't build a perfect plane then do fun fly stunts with it. Really, the sun is going to fade the different materials at different rates during the first season any way so why the grief. Then there is the just the every day digs and nicks of use.

I'm not talking about scale contest quality planes. I'm talking about Tiger II's and Super Sportsters. These types of planes are supposed to be fun to build and fly, not to cause an ulcer over getting the wheel pants to match the plastic covering.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM
green river rc

Going to try to make the trip again tomorrow after work...wish me luck, LOL!!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Kostas1

-
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

thats waaaaay kool
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Kostas1

Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

In the process of getting my pilot's license, my first cross country, I landed at the wrong airport.

This means I was talking to ATC at a totally different airport.

Today it would have been an issue, but this was well over 35 years ago.

Talk about not paying attention.
I know how you feel. I did the exact same thing about 25 years ago when I was getting my private license. Man, they shoot planes down for that kind of stuff these days LOL. I had lot's of fun back then and thank God for the memories.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:39 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Did he get what he was diving for???
Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Kostas1

Hihihi.....
Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is silly to drive that far to the hobby shop to buy a roll of the wrong color. It is just common sense to always buy several rolls of the wrong color.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Tarasdad

If you're like me you take that long drive to the "LHS" (for me a 2-hour round trip) because you need a certain item. Once you get there you get to looking around, find several other items that you really need, make your purchase - and only after getting home realize that you forgot to buy what you went for in the first place.

BTDT way too many times to count.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.