Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

prop ballancing tool

What does one use to ballance props ranging from an 18x6 to a 26x10 wooden
    Thanks

RE: prop ballancing tool

I have this one http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...1.1.0.0.0.0.0? I have used it up to 18" but you can do any size.

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A t-pin.

Hold the prop horizontal in one hand and in the other take a "T"pin and hold it up at a 45º angle and set the prop on the pin so the tip of the pin is halfway through the thickness of the prop in the shaft hole. Let go of the prop and the heavy side will drop. Scrape the backside of the prop with a knifeblade on the heavy side. Repeat until it stays level. I have done 20" props with this method and it works as well as with 6" ones.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use one of these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXHY61

I don't usually shave weight off... I mix 5min epoxy and just dab it on heavy side until its balanced. After its dry I just hit that spot with touch of sandpaper to smooth it. In my opinion that's easier/better then taking weight off the prop... and its not changing the shape of the prop..other then the small splotch of smooth epoxy at the back of the tip. There's other ways too I'm sure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyallday

I have this one http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...1.1.0.0.0.0.0? *I have used it up to 18'' but you can do any size.

Harry

The Dubro balancer is the way to go for all props. I tried the Topflite unit and it's worthless for big props. Wood props can be sprayed with poly U on the light side to balance.
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

I made my own for balancing 24" 4 blade props.

AMA #163334
    If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. Red Adair

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DGrant

I use one of these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXHY61

I don't usually shave weight off... I mix 5min epoxy and just dab it on heavy side until its balanced. After its dry I just hit that spot with touch of sandpaper to smooth it. In my opinion that's easier/better then taking weight off the prop... and its not changing the shape of the prop..other then the small splotch of smooth epoxy at the back of the tip. There's other ways too I'm sure.
    I'm sure you meant to say apply the epoxy to the lighter side. I use the same technique but mask the prop and spray the tip with spray paint. I continue with consecutive light coats until it is balanced. No sanding required.
    UltraSport Brotherhood #17

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Dubro unit is perfect.. I use it up 32" props.....
    Extreme Flight RC tech support
    IMAC Vice President|IMAC Sequence Committee|IMAC National Judging Instructor|Team Futaba|Extreme Flight R/C|2014 IMAC World Championships Contest Director

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the Dubro balancer and will start with sanding t achieve balance. If it is really far off I put a drop of CA on a piece of plastic bag and wipe it across the backside light blade close to the tip. Then sand the CA smooth and check balance again.
    Ham

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Balancing the hub is the hard part. Haven't tried it yet, but guys at my field just showed me a genius method: Cut a tiny corner of sticky velcro tape (the soft hairy layer) and stick it to the light side of the hub. (Roughen up the hub surface for better adhesion). Drop CA on it until balanced. It dries to a bulletproof mass on the hub. Ugly but effective.

In regards to balancing the blades: I've heard you should sand or scrape or paint or tape the TOP (convex) face of the prop blade, not the under cambered back face. The back (concave) face is the critical "business end". Modifying this back face changes the PITCH=bad. Modifying the convex face just changes the airfoil slightly, which should have far less effect on efficiency or pitch.

It also seems to me preferable to take a bit off the heavy END of the blade or add paint or tape to the light end. Removing a bit off the end may make one blade slightly shorter or change the tip shape slightly, but that should be negligible to performance as long as it's balanced. The closer to the end you work, the less material you need to add or subtract. That seems preferable to changing the actual airfoil or pitch of the prop by messing with the faces.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the balancer I use for large propellers:

http://www.teamaeroscale.com/fema3dbalancer.html

Another really nice one is the PSP Mfg:

http://www.pspmfg.com/RCPropBalancers.html

Iuse both of these....