Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How do you sand the leading edge of the elevator?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How do you sand the leading edge of the elevator?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 AM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How do you sand the leading edge of the elevator?

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

I'm in the process of sanding the bevel on the ailerons for my Tiger 60. Earlier I was sitting here thinking about how I could set up a disc or spindle sander to do the job. Moot point, since I don't have either one![sm=angry.gif]
The first step is to "break" the edge using a long sanding block. Once the first angle is beveled into place, blending the rest in with the same block is easy.

The first bevel is the critical step.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what would you guys consider the best angle to sand the leading edge of a control surface? i have read both 60 and 45 degrees have been used.

skeeter
Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 PM
DustBen

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca

So what would you guys consider the best angle to sand the leading edge of a control surface? i have read both 60 and 45 degrees have been used.

skeeter
If you bevel at 60 degrees (30 degrees from the true leading edge), you'll have binding in extreme control surface deflection. If you bevel at 45 degrees, and break the remaining corners and blend it to a semi-circle, you'll have zero bind.

Here is where past experience and or the print comes in handy. If the elevator is only going to move a minimal amount, then use the shallower bevel, but if you're preparing a 3D concept with a large volume of deflection, you'll need the 45 degree bevel worked into a semi-circle.

As you hinge either shape, you'll see the action and how it works.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Tarasdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I ended up doing is using a razor plane to shave away the bulk of the material. Final shaping and alignment are being done with a tool provided in the kit (Carl Goldberg Tiger 60) that holds a piece of sandpaper at a 45* angle. Once the control surfaces are attached all gaps will be sealed.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 PM
DustBen

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

What I ended up doing is using a razor plane to shave away the bulk of the material. Final shaping and alignment are being done with a tool provided in the kit (Carl Goldberg Tiger 60) that holds a piece of sandpaper at a 45* angle. Once the control surfaces are attached all gaps will be sealed.
Whatever works for you, go with it!
In time, you'll be doing a lot of edges and mastering the art of shaping.