Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Does Giving away planes Have a Reward?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Giving away planes Have a Reward?

I only want 3 flyable + 2 Spaire planes. So I can keep up with what I got.
The planes that are collecting dust I am giving away. And enjoying it.

Am I doing the right thing?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Does Giving away planes Have a Reward?

The only thing i can tell you is, DON'T try and sell some thing in the future Every one will expect you to give it to them. Yes I have been there done that. Gave away a bunch of old beaters and some that were in great shape people wanted for nothing.
It is great to help out a newbee, but just to empty your hanger is a mistake.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

well look at all the free stuf our government is giving away, and you and I are paying for. do you think that is the right thing to do?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM
aussiesteve

I would say that if you are enjoying it, you are doing the right thing.

I have given quite a few planes away over the years and Live Wire is correct in what he is saying.

I have heard people that were given Ready to fly planes (Complete with receiver and batteries) for free from me complaining that they needed to do some minor work on things like covering. Others think that because I gave something away for free once upon a time then everything must be free - Even to the point of them stealing some $5 servo extensions when they visit. (I was sure they were there on the table before the visit and the security camera showed them pocketing them - they never get a thing from me now). One guy has hassled and hassled me for a particular engine (worth a few hundred dollars) yet keeps telling me how his is on hard times but wants me to give him the engine anyway (If ya don't have the money - don't order new stuff buddy) .

Nowadays, If there is a talented newbie who is struggling, I will give them a freebie to keep them interested (Only if I have a suitable plane available for them that I no longer want). Otherwise if I want to make space in my hanger, I simply remove any parts that I want (engines, Servos etc) and burn the rest then dump whatever is left in the rubbish bin.

Even free stuff is expected to have warranty in some peoples minds but if the recipient enjoys what they receive and understands it is "WYSIWYG" then do whatever turns your crank I say.

How I help struggling fliers out now is to do sponsorships on a particular airframe or engine. Even that can bite as a young guy I sponsored a couple of years ago "drank some Koolaid" from another manufacturer then proceeded to bag my product in another forum (even though it was my sponsorship and items that got him to where he still is now - and it was mine that got him noticed by "the Koolaid supplier"). sure it was the exuberance of youth involved but it was pretty bad form.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Scirocco14

It always makes me feel good to help out other flyers who may not be as fortunate as me, I've given planes away knowing they will be enjoyed. It's good karma.

People notice too...I wasn't even asking and a friend of mine gave me a Edge 540 Pro 3D plane to get me started in 3D.

So what goes around comes around, I guess!

Mark
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If something is collecting dust and your fortunate enough to not need the proceeds by selling... why not. IF people expect free things going forward and you want to charge for it.. that's thier issue. If someone complains becuase they have to get the windex out before they fly it.. ask for it back.. i doubt you'll get it.

The reward you get is generally internal as with all charity type work and volunteerism. Sort of like doing the right thing when no one is watching.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes of course you are doing the right thing, and anyone here can read it in the tone of your post.

My plug and play fleet is now averaging at something over forty and I have found it most rewarding on occassion to do a bit of thinning to some deserving individual of my choice. Last year I donated a large number of functional engines to the club to be auctioned by the club which triggered many other donations from others and the income was most welcome in improvements to the flying site. And dang it was fun I think I even bought back a couple of things that had been mine by mistake

Another possibility is if you have a small local full scale museum nearby. In the last two years I have donated two antiquated models that I built long ago and have served well. One was a Midwest Corsair and the other is the 1/5th Pica Waco and proud to say it is well lit and hangs over the reception area.

Its a good feeling indeed to know that long after their useful flying life, maybe even after I croak they will still serve to inspire and encourage others.

John

Old 01-13-2012, 02:46 AM
kwblake

You know you are doing the right thing when you said, " and enjoying it " . That about says it all.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 AM
jbdismukes
My Feedback: (2)

A number of our club members have followed John's practice of donating items which a couple of members take to Perry, GA to sell. Those folks have generated significant income for the club.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

If it's something that you enjoy doing, then it's the right thing for you to do. During my many years in this great hobby I have given away several models and other hobby related stuff, and have myself been the recepient of a several pieces, especially when I was first introduced to R/C flying. It gives me a nice warm feeling to see the glow of gratitude in the eyes of a deserving newbie as he holds on proudly to a recently donated model.

Karol
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Another plus. you have space for new ones!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 AM
91zulu

You bet it is the right thing to do and any one that think it is not is the reason why the world is in the mess it is in. If you have way more than you need there is nothing wrong in helping some one else. Some feel that doing so is not good and give a bunch of BS reasons why. I say they are mean, hard heart and selfish plain and simple. We all are not fortunate to afford this wonderful hobby and if you can help do so. Just do yourself a favor and not listen to those that are selfish. I am sure there will be a few.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

At the price used planes bring, it's just like giving them away.

David
Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Lnewqban

Ungratefulness is a natural thing for many humans.
What others do with or about what you give away should be none of your business.
Your reward should be the possibility of those old birds to fly again and to serve other pilots.

From my point of view, you are doing the right thing.
The joy reason alone is sufficient.

From Ralph Waldo Emerson:

“You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.â€
Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just returned to the hobby this year. I bought an ARF so I could get to flying 'quick". The horizontal stab departed the aircraft after about 10 flights. A club member came to my rescue with a plane I could "borrow" another with an engine, as I didn't have a .40 in running condition. The plane turned out to be a gift with the stipulation it be passed on when I didn't need it anymore to somebody that had similar luck as I did.

So I will be giving somebody a plane some day to help them out. My "reward" will be helping somebody.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I gave away my TF Sea Fury a couple of months ago. It was hanging in my garage collecting dust and I didn't care to fly it anymore, so I posted an add on RCU, local pick up only free to the first guy who called. Hopefully the gentleman who has it will fly it again. I've given away a lot of stuff over the years, maybe someday someone will return the favor, if not then oh well.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Warbirdguy

I have been given several things before by different people. I have enjoyed and charished them. I have also repaid the kindness by passing things setting around I dont use to others. I have never had the issue of them or others "expecting" me to give them anything else. Maybe its the area you live in that plays alot in that role or the people you give too. I dont know. But I say good for you

I dont see where comparing giving an airplane away that is collecting dust to getting free stuff from our goverment is anything alike. Course, it is a political time in the US and some just cant keep from taking advantage of a moment to campaign [X(]

I would do it, and will keep doing it.

WBG
Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

There's no liability to "giving" them away.  You sell them to a good buddy and the first time they spit, puke, hiccup, or have a headache, there goes another "good buddy"!  More fun to know that someone will resurect your oldie but goldies and you get to watch them fly again.  Reincarnation is fun!  Give as much as you can.  St. Peter might be an old RC pilot!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM
SeamusG

If the recipient is deserving - GREAT!

Folks in this hobby expect $100 of stuff for $25 are offended when you put a $75 tag on it. Just sayin' ... I've tried giving supplies away at club meetings but the culture is so ARF oriented that no one wants it, or they may not know what the stuff is or have forgotten.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

I agree with all the others who say it's good karma. I've been given lots of stuff over the years: engines, planes, radios, etc. so I keep the circle goin'. And whaddya know, it just keeps happening. A friend of mine was cleaning out his father-in-law's storage locker. A huge pile of model airplane stuff was found, and the relatives were about to sling it into the dumpster. He intervened, brought it back and let me know about it. I asked how much he wanted for all of it. He said "Just take it off my hands". Some of the stuff I kept, other things like a nice Fox .29 CL went to a buddy for his Brodak kit, and other things went on the classifieds or to the swap meet.

It's true that there are jerks and charlatans that may be ungrateful or churlish about one's generosity. So what; that doesn't make a good act bad, it reveals the character of the recipient. I know I'm thankful to all the old timers who have handed me an engine, some props, or other stuff over the years. It's part of what makes RC flying great.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
91zulu

Well for one to think that you would get your money back for a used item in this hobby is in the wrong hobby. I know all too well MOST times you will not get your money back, not even half. So even though you may think it is worth $100, feeling may not be the same for some one else. Its funny I go to a few swap shows this time of the year and it never cease to amaze me the price guys put on old used engines, radios, covering and other stuff, they would be there for the entire day and they would not take a penny off the price. Guess what, the next year they would be back with the same stuff at the same price.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:33 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

That's a prime example of being penny wise but pound foolish.

Karol
Old 01-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Warbirdguy

91 I know what you mean about swap meets I price my stuff for what I would like get for it. After an hour, if no intrest, I start discounting. After lunch, I put, make an offer on it. But, I tell the guys "before you make an offer, make sure you can back it up" lol I hauled the stuff I dont want anymore to a swap meet to get rid of it. Not haul it all back

Like someone else said above, just makes room for more stuff at home [8D]

Im going to meet a guy next week that I just sold a plane too. And cause he was respectful and good at negotiating, Im giving him a bonus He dont know it yet. Its an old combat kit Ive had for years. He might build it, might not. But its spreading some good will and I get another spot to put newer stuff in lol.

WBG
Old 01-14-2012, 04:49 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Reads like a great way to help someone, just be selective about who you give your planes to. It is not wise to throw money to fools and idiots and there are enough of those out there. However there are always folks that would love to have them and would cherish someone giving them a plane and would take the proper care of the plane. Many of the guys I fly with give away planes and some of them can even be in the grand price range.

I give some of my RC stuff away as needed not just planes. I don't have a huge selection of planes. I am much like you in that I only want so many planes to have and don't like planes sitting for years collecting dust. That is sort of useless in my way of thinking. I like to keep about 6-8 planes on hand because every now and then one might need some work and I don't want to work on it right at that time. Also, I like flying a few different types of airplanes - mostly aerobatic type stuff.

Happy giving and flying!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 AM
willig10

I typically try to sell my old airplanes, however I do give away older equipment at times to help out. I enjoy helping those in need. Also if it is an airplane I am not going to fly giving it to someone who appreciates it makes me have a good warm fuzzy.

I dont do it often but when there is a need I step up to help out my fellow modeler.

Just an example of an airplane I gave to a club member is shown. THis is a giant scale Cap-21.

Regards
Glenn Williams
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21521.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1713783  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.