Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

OS 91FS Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

OS 91FS Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 91FS Help!

ORIGINAL: FLAPHappy

++5 for your post. Guess people are afraid of replacing anything themselves. Changing bearings is not a big deal as I found out. Easy to do, and if your tearing down an engine anyway, why not replace the baarings at the same time??

Exactly. With a basic knowlege of metallurgy, all glow engines come apart quite well. Even 4-strokes, even though there are more parts to remove- they are easy. At first I was a little intimidated, but I payed attention, didn't force anything and asked a lot of questions if I wasn't sure what I was doing. Replacing the back plate on the O.S. 91FX- ringed is very easy. Just remove the 4 allen bolts at the rear of the engine, and pull out the back plate and replace it with a new one. All new backplates for that engine have been updated from Hobbico, and the old ones before the call back with the design flaw have been replaced. So now there's no chance of getting a new backplate that hasn't been updated.

RCU has a glow engine forum and it is very insightful if everyone goes there. JMHO

Pete
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 91FS Help!

Take the engine apart and put bearings in it when you clean all the caster goo out of it. It is an OS, it needs bearings. I have many OS engines and love them, but the bearings are somewhat marginal. If you have any reason to go into an engine, spend twenty bucks at Boca and get a set of bearings for it. You can spend a little more and get better ones, Boca has several lines. I use them in all of my engines. It only takes a few minutes, how long do you plan on running this engine? Is it worth a few bucks to you to have a good engine you can count on?? This is a cheap and easy fix.

Best of luck.
Scott